Neil_W's half-baked design thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is with lengthened stripes. I found that with the full complement of 6 stripes, it was way too much, so I went back to two stripes, one on each side. I also lengthened the points on the nose cone, which I think gives the impression of a longer cone (sort of).
upload_2019-11-12_18-3-53.png

Then I tried this modification, for a little more consistency with the tail:
upload_2019-11-12_18-8-39.png

I have no immediate opinion on these yet. I *might* like the second one.

I actually love the fin stripes. It's like plasma spots barely contained behind a grating or vent

(unsure about the blocky forward stripe)

Oh, and a bonus: this is a comparatively easy mask and paint job.

It looks tricky to me, but I suppose you can accomplish much of the graphics with decals.

I actually love the fin stripes. It's like plasma spots barely contained behind a grating or vent

(unsure about the blocky forward stripe)

I'm in total agreement with Nytrunner here. I have changed my tune, those graphics have convinced me that the plasma can work well outside of the plasma core. I agree, there is a sort of vent effect, it especially works well with the contrasting black and white fins.

Did you tone down the saturation from post #830? I still like the nose cone treatment in post #830 the best.

It looks tricky to me, but I suppose you can accomplish much of the graphics with decals.
Yeah, almost all the hard stuff is decals. Mask is simpler than my usual.

I did, though, notice that the warp core is 12.5" long, which means I'll have to piece each segment together from two pieces. That is not great.

I'm in total agreement with Nytrunner here. I have changed my tune, those graphics have convinced me that the plasma can work well outside of the plasma core. I agree, there is a sort of vent effect, it especially works well with the contrasting black and white fins.
Ha, I was starting to lean the other way. :)

Did you tone down the saturation from post #830? I still like the nose cone treatment in post #830 the best.
Yeah, saturation is all over the place; on those previous images I bumped the saturation of the final image rather than update all the decals. Forgot to do it this time.

I am tending to agree about the nose treatment. That previous one is not perfect (I guess nothing is) but it has a unique flavor to it that I can't recall seeing before, so it scores a bit for originality if nothing else. I expect I'll still mess with it plenty between now and whenever I build it.

I'm not thrilled about the stubby nose cone, but I can probably live with it.

I liked post 841, especially the contrast with the black fin. Doesn’t “pop” as much with the white fin. As said, gives the idea of plasm venting.

My wife on the other hand is not too happy when I vent during rocket building!

Yes, I like the vented look.
Plus, you never know when you're going to have to vent plasma from your disabled ship as a signal flare.:D

Post #841 pic 1 is my favorite. I'm not a fan of the plasma dotted line on the nose.

Regarding the sequence of plasma stripes on the fins, it doesn't work as well on the black fin as on the white. On the white all six stripes are clear, even as they fade to white on the right (the long stripe). But on the black fin, as the stripes fade to black the last two are invisible. The same goes for the pic in post #846 with the saturation back up to full. I don't know what to do about it, except just maybe try eliminating the fades, or the large end fades altogether.
[Y]ou never know when you're going to have to vent plasma from your disabled ship as a signal flare.:D
At times like that you're supposed to jettison the fuel and ignite it.

Regarding the sequence of plasma stripes on the fins, it doesn't work as well on the black fin as on the white. On the white all six stripes are clear, even as they fade to white on the right (the long stripe). But on the black fin, as the stripes fade to black the last two are invisible.
I agree, I need to adjust the stripes on the black fin so they're more consistent with the white fin. Will get to that.

Build'm all! Plasma Rainbow!
Surprised it took so long for someone to suggest it. :)

I'll build one.... plenty of other builders out there to cover the others. ;)

Might look nice with the third fin as grey instead of white...
upload_2019-11-13_14-33-29.png

(damn, hard to tell the different in a picture)

Argh, I just realized that grey background will make the decaling process an order of magnitude more difficult.

Gonna have to stick with black and white, sorry bud.

Just my opinion buds, but if you're getting sick of this design and need to step away then you may be overanalyzing.
This isn't design by committee.
Beware of paralysis by analysis.
Go with your gut, this is your rocket after all.
Remember, you're supposed to be having fun.

Speaking only for myself: this *is* fun. :)

Still I can overdose twiddling with the fine details and need to step back for a while. That’s where I am on this one right now. Happy where I’ve gotten so far though.

I wanted to make this a legit successor to the Diamond Cutter but in my first pass here is it too similar. Sort of like a love child of DC and PD, for the builder who really *loves* making paper shrouds. Not sure if I like this better than the original or not. Paint job is obviously just temporary.

Also, I seem to like to make it as difficult as possible to locate the launch lugs. :rolleyes:

I may or may not twiddle with this one further.
upload_2019-11-20_14-34-50.png

The thread is coming full circle

attachment.php

Back