Neil_W's half-baked design thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a good, just a side effect of the way the fin can is constructed. Viewing it from the side it reads correctly. From a 3/4 view you get the wrong version.

Thanks for that. I figured I could put some actual holes in the fins as well, and put the decal around the hole.

I was actually thinking of @BABAR 's rockets when you posted that. I would work very well structurally for this rocket, the only downside is would it look as good? The two halves of a single stop sign would not be even with each other. On the other hand, it would eliminate the existing weirdness in the fin can. I suppose I should do another OR file for that variation.

And again, I have not decided to build this yet, although it is getting more interesting... see list above for other candidates.

Okay, I may tag team this one with you (you do the Jersey Version, I will do Tennessee)

Full square rocket body (sides will open as brakes), fins will have to be centered at 90 degrees to the sides. Basically take your box tail on post 400 and extend it length of the rocket.

See fins on Spyder 10
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/spyder-10-airbrake-recovery-camera-rocket.152767/

For yours you could use balsa, basswood, or even picture matting to make the sides. May need through the wall/side mountings for the fins.

Mine won’t need any tubing or even an engine mount.

The bullet holes will be great for me, I need some holes to stick the rubber bands through.

Rear eject on yours is gonna be rough on your nose. I am trying to think of the Estes rocket that ejected the nose cone with a “speedometer” on it, I think the nose cone was some kind of NERF material.

Edit: Estes Speed Freak

Okay, I may tag team this one with you (you do the Jersey Version, I will do Tennessee)
Even better: if you do it then I won't have to! ;)

If you don't enlarge the box around the tail, you may find it hard to get the "STOP" lettering to line up. I sized it the way I did so that one letter could on each surface.

Alternatively, you might just have a larger body, which would be fine too.

Your airbrake rockets are cool. I look forward to this one, if you're really gonna do it!

Today I'm having slightly different thoughts. Maybe time to make another big parts order, and get things set for several more builds. Possibilities for a build pile, in no particular order:

I like those whimsical designs, such as the Stop Sign and Space Needle. And yeah, a change of pace is often necessary and a good thing. You've pulled off some complex and detailed builds lately, I say knock out something fun and easy.

Anyone have any requests?*

I like the Nibiru-X quite a bit, it seems to aspects of both the Alcubeirre and Plasma Dart II blended together (both creative designs). Your build threads are great, whatever you choose will keep me checking TRF for updates.

I can acknowledge the very slight possibility that there might be some fairly consistent tendencies in my designs. ;) At times this is also known as "being in a rut", or "thinking inside the box".

I've pretty much decided that the Launcher-X will be one of the next couple of builds. I won't be able to start real assembly for quite a while, but in the meantime I can working making the three shrouds required for that design. I'm experimenting with some different techniques.

The other "next build" will be.... eh, I dunno yet. Leaning towards the Space Needle, but not close to committed yet.

I can acknowledge the very slight possibility that there might be some fairly consistent tendencies in my designs. ;) At times this is also known as "being in a rut", or "thinking inside the box".
It can also be referred to as "going with your strengths" or "being in your 'rings' period".

Singer-songwriter Christine Lavin wrote in a lyric "It's a very fine line between a groove and a rut." Which side are you on? I wouldn't presume.

"It's a very fine line between a groove and a rut." Which side are you on?
3ttNZ9m.gif

It can also be referred to as "going with your strengths" or "being in your 'rings' period".

Singer-songwriter Christine Lavin wrote in a lyric "It's a very fine line between a groove and a rut." Which side are you on? I wouldn't presume.

I can see it now, years down the road, we'll wax nostalgic on this forum about Neil's "rings" period. By then we'll be in the "post Stop sign" era.

Well, I for one will be honored just to say I knew him back then. Even though critics and academics say his early works were naïve, it was a thrilling time all the same. Such power in those phantasmagorical designs, and the frequent use of rings, which some call repetitive, I call unifying! Even then it was plain that his corpus opum would rival even Flis and Byrum.

A tragedy that his time was cut so short by that freak knitting accident.

Last edited:
Update:
upload_2019-8-5_12-49-21.png
upload_2019-8-5_12-52-44.png

Can't do a pyramidal nose in OR, so it's showing a conic for now. Not sure about the bullet holes, although they are amusing (maybe I need to improve placement). I've sent this design over to Rick at Newway, see if he has any interest. Seems ideally suited for them once the square body is added. Doesn't of course preclude a scratchbuild or anything.

In other news: PDII has definitely convinced me that my next build should be easy to paint. And so Launcher-X it is; should be a nice palette-cleanser. After that... who knows.

I have a bunch of new design ideas.... and no access to OR for 3 more days. :(

Hope to have some new material here next week (assuming those ideas are any good. ;))

Here's the first. An OR bug is preventing me from doing this "correctly", but this is a reasonable facsimile of what was in my head. It's kind of "out there", maybe not totally practical but could be a source of ideas for later. I bring you... Galaxy Rider:
upload_2019-8-26_21-30-26.png
upload_2019-8-26_21-31-9.png
upload_2019-8-26_21-32-34.png
upload_2019-8-26_21-31-49.png

Here's the first. An OR bug is preventing me from doing this "correctly", but this is a reasonable facsimile of what was in my head. It's kind of "out there", maybe not totally practical but could be a source of ideas for later. I bring you... Galaxy Rider:

Whoa, that is wild! I like the asymmetry.

I like them both. Galaxy rider is really out there, which is good.

Have you tried simming it with just the rings, no flat fins? Also, instead of three fins each in two directions, have you taken a look at two rings in each of thee directions? With that last, if flat fins are needed there could be six of them, mounted two per ring direction like the four currently are, something like this:
upload_2019-8-27_8-24-25.png
or:
upload_2019-8-27_8-26-53.png
or
upload_2019-8-27_8-37-35.png
or
upload_2019-8-27_8-39-21.png

I like them both. Galaxy rider is really out there, which is good.

Have you tried simming it with just the rings, no flat fins? Also, instead of three fins each in two directions, have you taken a look at two rings in each of thee directions? With that last, if flat fins are needed there could be six of them, mounted two per ring direction like the four currently are, something like this:

I like both as well. And I'm anticipating the 3rd.

Interesting variation Joe, I'd be curious to see what they look like rendered in 3D. I think that they have potential. My first reaction is that I'm most drawn to the 3rd one.

Have you tried simming it with just the rings, no flat fins?
The rings are currently implemented as inner tubes, so they are not factored inCP calcs. OR presently prevents me from doing it any other way.

I would anticipate that the rings would in reality give it a lot of stability, but I like the look better with fins as well.

Also, instead of three fins each in two directions, have you taken a look at two rings in each of thee directions?

I like those, will have to see if I can beat OR into submission to try them out.

With rings in three directions, the asymmetry will be greater. Will see how that looks.

Back