Neil_W's half-baked design thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would the jig or jigs be so tough to do? If all else failed, you could model the fins, subtract them from a block, and then carve away anything that wasn't strictly necessary. However, I suspect that this shape is simple enough that such measures aren't required. especially if there are flat reference areas on the fins. But those would be draggy.

I bet those fins would be stronger than they look, all that triangular bracing looks like a decently strong structure. Anyway, it's got nothing on Sir Breaks-a-Lot.
As for building, I'd consider supporting the rocket tube parallel to the workbench, and then gluing the outside fins on one at a time, sitting flat on the workbench. That way, if the body tube isn't quite exactly parallel with the workbench surface, at least all the errors are the same, and the rocket will still fly straight. Looks like a fun build!

I bet those fins would be stronger than they look, all that triangular bracing looks like a decently strong structure. Anyway, it's got nothing on Sir Breaks-a-Lot.
As for building, I'd consider supporting the rocket tube parallel to the workbench, and then gluing the outside fins on one at a time, sitting flat on the workbench. That way, if the body tube isn't quite exactly parallel with the workbench surface, at least all the errors are the same, and the rocket will still fly straight. Looks like a fun build!
Novel idea, I like it. Would only need to suspend the rocket at exactly the right height, but that'd be easy enough to arrange.

Regarding the ball size, I think I like the larger one better, but a little smaller, so in between the two, might be better still.

Regarding construction, I think the big thing would be getting the angles and lengths for the cuts just right. If the pieces are good, including getting the end bevels right, then putting them together with a simple fixture or two would probably not be too hard. And maybe a jig or two for making the pieces. CAD work to get the pieces defined exactly, and to design the jigs and fixtures, would be a really good idea.

Or the wrong forum. Please avoid the Grad Queen topic.
As far as I know, the late Queen, may she rest in peace, never formally graduated from any institution, though I'm sure her education was top notch. She did have a few honorary degrees, though. What's wrong with discussing that? Other than being off topic in a rocketry forum. But that's easily remedied. One of the rockets in this video appears designed to disturb the air just as much as to fly, just the way so many hobbyists seem to like it.
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...enlager-news-footage/1132785685?adppopup=true

Or the wrong forum. Please avoid the Grad Queen topic.
As far as I know, the late Queen, may she rest in peace, never formally graduated from any institution, though I'm sure her education was top notch. She did have a few honorary degrees, though. What's wrong with discussing that? Other than being off topic in a rocketry forum. But that's easily remedied. One of the rockets in this video appears designed to disturb the air just as much as to fly, just the way so many hobbyists seem to like it

Victim of another @cwbullet typo.

Back