Neil_W's half-baked design thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to create my own thread to post my various OR designs. These might be anywhere from completed designs all the way down to rough ideas I'm working through. I decided to do this in my own thread rather than in another so that I won't feel bad about posting as much crap as I choose to.

In the past I've derived a lot of benefit from discussing my designs as I work on them. Others may decide if it's worth following along.

For now I don't plan to post any designs that I've already posted elsewhere, but I could change my mind.

I'll keep this post updated as a directory of sorts, if I remember to.

Last edited:
Had this idea just the other day. Best feature? NO G*D**M* RINGS. There. I said it.
attachment.php

Still very early in the game for this one, just getting started with it. I think the vertical stabilizers are not quite right relative to everything else, but I kind of like the overall look.

starburst.png

they NEED a hole in them :wink: (arch)?
solarflare.jpg

Last edited:
:pop:

I'm always interested in half-baked ideas.

Had this idea just the other day. Best feature? NO G*D**M* RINGS. There. I said it.
attachment.php

Still very early in the game for this one, just getting started with it. I think the vertical stabilizers are not quite right relative to everything else, but I kind of like the overall look.

It's scary how much we think alike.

DSCF2136.JPG DSCF3163.JPG

I don't think these design ideas are half-baked, they look fully done to me.:cool:

It's scary how much we think alike.
I definitely had you in mind when designing that. Holey fins! :)

In the meantime, here's a slightly evolved version, with holey vertical stabilizers as suggested by Joe and some other tweaks:
attachment.php

Not bad. Not nearly finished yet, but might be worth experimenting with paint.

starburst3.png

I wonder how it would be if you tried two arches in that fin
neil's rocket 074.jpg

I dunno if this is better or not. Too busy in the rear?

More business means more drag, more drag means you get to see it while flying!

This is definitely interesting.
Post 2 looks like you're making a Sprint/Blackstar Voyager hybrid lol

Post 2 looks like you're making a Sprint/Blackstar Voyager hybrid lol

That is not too far off the mark. :)

When I have a few minutes here and there I've been working on paint designs for this thing. Seems to have potential. Also need to post up some other half-baked nonsense when I get a chance.

now make them do this... [video=youtube;zbuV1b29Wkw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbuV1b29Wkw[/video]

And here I was just thinking of lifting the design out of the screenshots and doing a BT5/20 size, just to beat Neil to it.

Flown your Quinstar 29 yet? I had a nice flight on a G40 this weekend. In about 15-18mph winds. I feel much better about it's operating envelope now.

now make them do this...

Cool. :cool: Although the rotation is obviously out of the question, there's some interesting fin design stuff there to take inspiration from.

And here I was just thinking of lifting the design out of the screenshots and doing a BT5/20 size, just to beat Neil to it.

Do you mean the Jellyfish? I did not have that in mind when I created the design under discussion, although I can see a bit of resemblance. It probably does take from the Black Star Voyager more than anything, although I don't think it was intentional.

Flown your Quinstar 29 yet? I had a nice flight on a G40 this weekend. In about 15-18mph winds. I feel much better about it's operating envelope now.

I haven't flown a damned thing this year yet. I am tentatively planning to schlep down to BARC on July 15, and the Quinstar++ will (attempt to) fly on an F15. The vinyl will be on by then (Mark is cutting it now). Should be cool. :) I'll update the Quinstar thread when the time comes.

Gotta try to figure out who I might know of who flies at BARC.

This thread sucks so far. I thought I was going to posting a lot more stuff here. Just one design! Blech. Here's another.

This is just a fin-can idea for the moment. Eventually this could have the makings for a cute skill-level 2 LPR kit. Needs plenty of work though.

Can't seem to stay away from tail rings.

attachment.php

cages.png

Oh! come on now,, I build fast, but not that fast!! LOL
ANOTHER GREAT DESIGN!!

We have too find a way to make those rings spin :wink:

Gotta keep your build queue full, you empty it out crazily fast. :)

I think I like the third one the best. Still no clue what to do in the front. That seems to be the case pretty often; all my design ideas seem to originate with the fin cans, and then the rest gets filled in. I need to start thinking more holistically about the rocket designs, but it' not easy.

As for spinning the ring, well...
[video=youtube;pbWWxGmbS9s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbWWxGmbS9s&t=40[/video]

I personally like the original version. Maybe try either reducing the radius on the fins or possibly "squaring" them some?

Still no clue what to do in the front. That seems to be the case pretty often; all my design ideas seem to originate with the fin cans, and then the rest gets filled in.

Again, we think alike. I think fin design sets models apart from looking all the same. With LPR you have the advantage of being artistic. I too, have a fin fetish. Many times I'll end up with not much on the forward end and beat myself to death trying to fit something in. Such is a project I'm currently working on that was resurrected from a wild concept that was a total flop. The redesign was difficult to say the least seeing how the entire rocket was all about the fin can. Today it gets a base flat white coat and I should have some pics for you.

Again, we think alike. I think fin design sets models apart from looking all the same. With LPR you have the advantage of being artistic. I too, have a fin fetish. Many times I'll end up with not much on the forward end and beat myself to death trying to fit something in.

That's what makes the APRO Lander design so great... I don't know whether you went through the same process, but the end result is really cohesive and it *feels* like the whole thing was designed together.

Such is a project I'm currently working on that was resurrected from a wild concept that was a total flop. The redesign was difficult to say the least seeing how the entire rocket was all about the fin can. Today it gets a base flat white coat and I should have some pics for you.

Let's see it bro'.

As for the design just above, I have a few more ideas to play with for the fin can (including Wallace's suggestion of squaring them off), which will help me defer thinking about the front. :) Unfortunately playing with curved fins like that in OR is tedious; I think for this one I'll draw the fins in a drawing program and try importing them in.

That's what makes the APRO Lander design so great... I don't know whether you went through the same process, but the end result is really cohesive and it *feels* like the whole thing was designed together.

That was a different can of worms for sure. APRO was built from the body, out. Fins were fitted after the fact.

OK Neil. Here's my little dark secret. I call it Time Warp. First off there was the....ahem....prototype? It was all about the aesthetics with nary enough attention paid to stability. Still looked kinda cool though.

DSCF2314.JPG DSCF3145.jpg

I'll have to upload the new one separate I guess. This thing is buggin'

Hey, I remember that guy. New one looks beautiful. I like the launch-lug strakes up front.

Any special provisions to keep those fin tips from snapping off on landing?

Hey, I remember that guy. New one looks beautiful. I like the launch-lug strakes up front.
Any special provisions to keep those fin tips from snapping off on landing?

Uh...I'll have to see how well the basswood lamination's holds up. I prolly ought to use some kind of metal band tip coverings of the sort. It's still pretty light weight considering the size and all. Right now it's in base coat flat white. Soon, it'll get a complete silver color and highlights with a transparent blue fade to silver with black accents. OH, and maybe this 3D looking middle skin I printed off. That'll either look good or bad, but easy to ignore if it's the latter.

Uh...I'll have to see how well the basswood lamination's holds up. I prolly ought to use some kind of metal band tip coverings of the sort. It's still pretty light weight considering the size and all. Right now it's in base coat flat white. Soon, it'll get a complete silver color and highlights with a transparent blue fade to silver with black accents. OH, and maybe this 3D looking middle skin I printed off. That'll either look good or bad, but easy to ignore if it's the latter.

How do you do a nice fade like that? I've been wondering about designs that don't have sharp lines.

Back