NEFAR 10/9 Launch (Daytona/Bunnell)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Just a quick last minute inquiry to see who all will be attending NEFAR on Saturday. I should be there around 9-9:30am or so. Knowing me it might be a little later since I'll be having to wake the girlfriend and try to get her out the door in the wee hours. :) Leo from Germany is confirmed to go. He may not get a chance to reply on here since last I heard from him he was signing off for the night in preparation for an early morning departure. brianc corresponded with me so I know to expect him there. Any other FL TRFers gonna be out there? lalligood? You coming out?

I'll have my canopy with a TRF banner and US Flag on display. Come by if you're out there. I'll have a few of my upscales with me on display and to fly.

1.6x 29mm Deuces Wild (2 - F20-7W)
2.4x 4" dia. Der Red Max (G80-7T + 2 - E9-P)
3.5x 29mm powered Astron Gyroc (G40-7W)
1.8x MAXI-Icarus (G80-7T)
2.26x Estes Bullpup (G40-7W)
1/4 scale US ARMY Patriot (H180W)

Now let's just hope for great weather!

Originally posted by eugenefl
[Blalligood? You coming out?

Now let's just hope for great weather! [/B]

Hey. I think I might come out there for a little while on Saturday morning/afternoon... :) (brianc already PMed me & I said that I couldn't make it--what was I thinking?!? hehe) I was planning on being in the Greater Daytona area anyway because I have family there & we have plans to go to Gainesville for the UF vs LSU football game, but that doesn't start until 8pm! It's unlikely that I will bring anything to launch, but I can certainly enjoy seeing everyone & their rockets :D

See you tomorrow.

BTW, is ozymandias going to make it out there?

I wish I could go, but it looks like a no-go for this month. Not a big deal - I have nothing to fly anyways...

I can't wait till the March '05 launch! Can anyone say "Jason's getting his L1!"?

YAHOO! :p :) :D

Jason

Originally posted by lalligood
Hey. I think I might come out there for a little while on Saturday morning/afternoon... :) (brianc already PMed me & I said that I couldn't make it--what was I thinking?!? hehe)

It's unlikely that I will bring anything to launch, but I can certainly enjoy seeing everyone & their rockets :D

See you tomorrow.

BTW, is ozymandias going to make it out there?

Yeah dude - definitely stop by and say hello. I had met you out there last year for a few minutes at the November Bunnell Blast. I think you had taken advantage of buying some kits from Jim at the time. :) Unfortunately the dang weather was gusty and rainy. A few people were disappointed that day. Ah well. If you come out and don't have any rockets at least you can make yourself useful by taking pictures or something. :D Hope to see you out there.

Not sure about ozymandias. Anyone PM him? He's only a few minutes away too.

Of course, any day without a Hurricane is pretty good. :)

I flew my FarScape on it's <a href="https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=130904#post130904">maiden flight.</a>

And the <a href="https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=130914#post130914">3FP (Three Fins & a Pumpkin) OddRoc</a> that I slapped together
Thursday night flew after some pad troubles.

See those threads for the pix.

Here's my son's Blue Ninja he launched on a D12-5.

Eugene was there with a car load of rockets. The wind kept
most flights grounded though.

Here's his upscale BullPup.

There was a 4xclustered HPR that CATO'd on the pad, but if you
don't count that one, Eugene's BullPup earned the 'closed to the pad'
award!

Regulars of TRF should be able to guess this rocket, even if it
doesn't appear in the picture... :)

No fair peeking at the attachment name!

Originally posted by brianc
Regulars of TRF should be able to guess this rocket

If you said Eugene's 29mm Deuce's Wild! give yourself a star!

I think this went up on F20's (right, Eugene?)

That's TRFer leo walking out for the recovery. Comes to Florida
all the way from Germany and hikes out to pick up rockets. Wassup with
that? ;)

Here's a couple of the best shots I captured all day...

Unfortunately, I don't know which NEFAR member owns the rocket
or what it's called. I think it launched on an I or J.

Whatever the motor, it sure had a Loooooonnnnngggg burn!

This is the third or fourth frame after the first liftoff shot and it's
still under power! Very nice flight!

The rocket is an Astrobee D. At least, it looks alot like this one, I flew back in spring. ;)

Oops. Here's another one of Eugene's DW that I missed earlier.

Yes, that really is the correct angle. The wind was blowing so much
just about everyone's rockets were swinging under the chutes.

It was a very good day indeed at NEFAR :D

eugenefl also launched his Gyroc upscale. Slow, twisting ascent followed by a beautifully gentle spin back down. Super cool!

Here it is just after leaving the pad...

And while I originally planned on only making an appearance, I did bring out my USR Banshee to let 'er rip on a F22-7J (really needed a 5 sec delay...) Great rocket-motor combination but one of these days I'm gonna get real brave & stuff a G64 in it :rolleyes:

I'm unloading the car right now from a 2-day getaway but I'll put more pictures up just as soon as I'm done.

Anyways, here's my awesome 29mm Deuce upscale making a scene on 2 F20s. Now I know how Carl feels! I heard a lot of positive comments about it. I'm just thrilled that BOTH motors lit!

Wow. Nice launch pic! I know many like the Blackjack motors but, I've always been fond of the White Lightning myself.

Ok, time for more pictures...

After that great Deuce launch Leo took the hike with me to recover the rocket. He appeared to have enjoyed the launch. I'm sure it was exciting to see HPR for the first time.

Notice the Florida storm approaching in the background. This invasive weather ended the day for me. The winds went from breeze to gusting in no time.

leo_eugenefl_sm.jpg

Here's my MAXI-Gyroc boosting nicely on a G40. There was no need to angle this rocket. As soon as it left the rod the wind took over and caused it to weathercock.

gyroc_g40_sm.jpg

My upscaled Bullpup flew nicely on an F40. Max height was probably 800ft. The flight path was perfect in that it was low, slow, and chute deployment just past apogee. The landing was the best though - right inbetween the pads!

I only had one BP flight yesterday - my Estes OOP BT80 V-2. I had also brought my Sky Raider for a D12 flight but the winds were too great for me to risk a rocket. The V2 performed nicely on a D12. The winds sent far away into the accompanying muddy field.

That picture looks surprisingly a lot like this one:

p1010549.jpg

Picture is from the Fliskits, Inc. Tour de Deuce (TM) site

Jason

...and of course, what's a good rocket meet without a picture of some rocket buddies? :)

Originally posted by eugenefl
...and of course, what's a good rocket meet without a picture of some rocket buddies? :)

Hey! That's ME :D I'm on the right holding my red & orange USR Banshee.

It was indeed a very cool time hanging out with some TRFers in person. And the breezy day really didn't scare too many folks from launching whatever they brought...

Guys, it was a pleasure meeting you all :cool:

I had a great time watching all those different rockets reach for the sky.

Hat's off to Eugenio for giving the crowd such a veriaty of launches, beit the upscale Gyroc or the upscale Deuces Wild!

I loved them all.

I'm on a 56 k connection and therefore am unable to upload any pictures as I would like. Will do so when I'm back in Germany though :)

Hope to witnes such a meet again soin :)

Back