Quantcast

Needing to "log in" when already logged in..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Hi All,

is this just me?

Here's the issue: Despite being loggged in, when I click a link to a thread, and then try to click the pics in that newly opened thread, it says I have to log in or register.. And I obviously can't see said pictures..

I've found this to be probelmatic with the contests mainly. On the final voting page of teh contests, there are links to the entries. But when I try to view the entries (opening a new thread / window) I get the above message. So, I baiscally have to pour through the original entry thread.

Another example: "Stickershock" has posted his entry for the June contest, but when I click his link to the TRF thread of his entry, and click on the included photos, i get the above message..

RangerStl

Reaction score
Are you sure you checked the "Remember me" box when you log in?

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potent
Reaction score
Also, are you coming through a firewall or proxy that's blocking cookies, or do you have cookies disabled in your browser?

It's also possible an ad blocker is interfering. The problem is user tracking is cookie-based, as is the "remember me" functionality.

-Kevin

Bazookadale

Reaction score
I've had the same problem on the new TRF, in fact I had to log back in to post this reply! I don't have this on any other forum I belong to.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
No firewall issues that I know of.
No system improvements or changes since the switch-a-roonie between the old & newTRF. Only this [new] forum.. I'm here daily (work is sooo yesterday!) :D

And yes, the "remeber me" is clicked!! I'm baaad with passwords & crap, so i need this feature!! :D

No, it' only when I click a link in a post to another TRF thread (pictures optional). I can click to the thread, and read the pages of that "linked to" thread. But clicking the pics ask me to "log in or register". I can click to pages & webs outside of TRF no problem. Just within TRF

I think it might have something to do with the fact I'm logged in, but it'll try to log in again (it sees the linked thread as a new "session"), and it can't deal with two 'same user' log ins, at the same time.. A double "log in" bug..

troj

Reaction score
Bizarre. Just bizarre.

What browser and OS? Specific versions, as well as what add-ons you've installed in your browser.

-Kevin

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
IE 7 (7.0.5130.11)
XP, SP 3 (5.1.2600)
Google tool bar, AVG antivitrus, Windows defender..
and going through work's network / pipe...

As before, no change at my end when TRF went from ver 1 to ver 2..

troj

Reaction score
Do you have any sort of blocking/filtering configured in the Google Toolbar?

-Kevin

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Pop up blocker, auto fill.. (There apparenly "more buttons to add" but I don't need a quick link to Wikipoeida, or Youtube, or ..)

Basic basic basic..

troj

Reaction score
Pop up blocker, auto fill.. (There apparenly "more buttons to add" but I don't need a quick link to Wikipoeida, or Youtube, or ..)
Can you disable those options and see if it helps?

I've seen add-on popup blockers, etc, cause strange issues before.

-Kevin

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
I just noticed..

when I clikc a link to another thread (a link in a post to another thread, that thread is opened in a new window, but I'm not logged (the log in boxes are empty)

that probably has something to do with it..

troj

Reaction score
I just noticed..

when I clikc a link to another thread (a link in a post to another thread, that thread is opened in a new window, but I'm not logged (the log in boxes are empty)
You're left-clicking on a link for a thread, and it pops open another window, rather than opening it in the same window?

Or do you do a right-click, pop up a context menu, then select an option to open the link in a new window?

-Kevin

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
left click, opens a new window.

I only noticed because I seem to have a slight delay today.. (Maybe the massive CAD file I have open!!)

It open a new window, with the user bar atop, then it jumps down to teh thread & tread window. I scrolled up, and sure enough..

Last edited:

troj

Reaction score
left click, opens a new window.
Does a left-click open a new window for you on every web site, or just TRF? It's not exactly standard behavior....

-Kevin

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Not sure i follow you.

Yes, opens a new window evertime, at least here on TRF..

other sites sometimes open a new window, or adds a new tab to the current sesison, and sometimes it just overwrites the current website. Seems to be site dependent... And, i beleive there is a switch to "open a new window" somewhere..

lemme experiment a bit..

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
Does it only open up in a new window for links within posts, like this, or for all links on the site (such as the logo at the top of the page)?

Phil

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Wik,

Yes, clicking the "This.. " opens in a new window. New log-in required

And yes, clicking the logo overwitres this window I-net session.. NO new log in required.

troj

Reaction score
Yes, clicking the "This.. " opens in a new window. New log-in required

And yes, clicking the logo overwitres this window I-net session.. NO new log in required.
Okay, that's behavior I would expect.

Hmmmm.....

-Kevin

troj

Reaction score
I am still having to login every time I go back to the site.
It's something on your end; I just cannot tell you what it is.

I'm able to access the site, without having to log in, using 5 or 6 different browsers on 3 computers.

-Kevin

sunward

At Mad Rocket Basement
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
cleaned out the cookies ( real easy with firefox) and problem now seems to be solved.

thomcat00

Reaction score
I seem to have a similar issue where I frequently need to login again. Does sitting idle for a certain amount of time affect log status?

troj

Reaction score
I seem to have a similar issue where I frequently need to login again. Does sitting idle for a certain amount of time affect log status?
Nope. The login auth is saved as a cookie known to the server, and to you. Something on your end is interfering with, or deleting, the cookie.

-Kevin

Latest posts