Need Your Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is totally awesome news!!!!!! Tell Yvette to keep up the positive attitude. This is a battle she can win!!!!

This is great news. Good for Yvette :)
Cheers
fred

We came home on Tuesday. It's about 90 miles from the hospital to the door and I know every pothole between the two. During the two hour road trip, she had a pillow behind her and one in front to help buffer any movement. But even still, an occasional bridge joint made her wince slightly.

We have a follow-up visit next week with the plastic surgeon and the head surgeon. I suspect, she'll have a few drains removed and we'll have the results backs from the lab.

Sleeping is hard because of the pain. She has to take her meds about every three hours. 5 meds in all. I'm the head nurse for now, next week my aunt comes for 7 days followed by my mother in law for 4-5 days.

I'll say this. Nothing brings you closer to someone when this happens. You find a way to sit with someone in a 12x12 foot room for over 18hours getting cold washcloths, or ice chips or whatever they need. Sometimes it's just to be there. Sometimes it's just to help them eat. It has brought us closer together than anything and for that, in some strange way, I feel lucky.

Right after reading this, I had to go give my fiancee a hug. **** proud to know that people like you fly rockets.

Good on you John :) I hope the pain and discomfort lessens soon and Yvette is lucky to have a husband as supportive as you are. I can assure you not all are.
Cheers
fred

Originally posted by DaveCombs
^^^

Unselfish love, defined.

Keep it up, John.

Or perhaps, real man , defined. :cool:

I am so glad that things are going well for her.

When you both look back on this later, you will realize how increadibly wonderful unconditional love can be.

Now get back to nursin'! :D

Originally posted by fred22
Good on you John :) I hope the pain and discomfort lessens soon and Yvette is lucky to have a husband as supportive as you are. I can assure you not all are.
Cheers
fred
QFT.

Hey John-

Thank you for the updates. Give Yvette our best. The climb back is easier when it is shared.

Be at peace.

Monday, we received confirmation that coincides with the initial dissection of Yvette's lymph nodes during her surgery. The pathology report we received Monday showed that all the nodes were in fact clean and that radiation will NOT be needed. This was GREAT news for Yvette as if radiation was needed, it could complicate her plastic (reconstruction) surgery that's already been done. And, the radiation process would have added another 2 months to the whole ordeal.

Tuesday Yvette had all of her drains removed since the amount of fluid had decreased. The Doctor told her that he wants to see her again in about two weeks for another follow up but it looks like her final implant process will be done in about six weeks. That's when the expanders are removed and the final implants are inserted, and any final adjustments are made. Everything was healing nicely. I wish all doctors could make sutures like this plastic can. Straight and tight!
She is still in quite a bit of pain and I'm in charge scheduling all of her meds. Sometimes that means 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning wake-ups. But it's pretty easy when considering the alternative.
Next up is Chemo. She should be starting that in about three weeks.

John,

I am glad that things are looking better, and I hope that Yvette continues to improve and heal, and that this round of surgeries gets it gone and keeps it away.
I am sorry that both of you are having to go through this.
Is there anyone at your local church that is organizing the delivery of meals for you guys? (Can you PM me their email address?)

Dave

Originally posted by powderburner
John,

I am glad that things are looking better, and I hope that Yvette continues to improve and heal, and that this round of surgeries gets it gone and keeps it away.
I am sorry that both of you are having to go through this.
Is there anyone at your local church that is organizing the delivery of meals for you guys? (Can you PM me their email address?)

Dave

Thanks Dave

Actually, there has been support from both family and friends. My mom has been making meals and since she lives right down the road, I can simply pop out and get them when they are ready. My Aunt was here all this week and was supposed to stay until Saturday, but because of the impending snow storm, I told her she should head back today (lives in CT). She helped me be staying with Yvette while I went to the pharmacy or whatever. Also did laundry or whatever needed to be done.
My mother in law will be here next week and she'll help out with the cooking and give my mom a break. I've been keeping up with all the household chores since I've got some time off from work. Next week she should be a little more mobile and I should be able to get back to work. If I can't, I'm sure that between all those who have offered to help, it will work itself out.
As far as late night stuff, well that's one reason why I'm up now. She has pain med's that she has to have at 2AM and then I'm off to bed. She gets her own bed while she's healing. We both have a Motorola talkie and she can beep me any time she needs me. Plus every time I get up, I stick my head in her room and check on her. I manage to catch a catnap here and there during the day and it seems to work fine.

It sounds tough but it's going well. I hope it gets easier as soon as it should :)
Cheers
fred

Very cool! Glad to hear that radiation won't be needed. Keep up the good work!

Wonderful news about the nodes! May it only get better from here on.

Don't get any ideas about hiring that surgeon. Kinda cost prohibitive for making nylon chutes

The best for both of ya,
Ed Hartle

Thanks for the update John. You continue to be in our prayers.

Oh, so glad to hear no radiation. :cool: :cool:

Keep on keepin' on for the both of you.

I am so happy to hear about the good news.

My family will continue to keep you both in our prayers.

Here's to a complete recovery! (glasses are clinking here) ;)

Monday and Tuesday (we stayed overnight) we were in Boston again for an Oncology and plastic surgeon visit. Neither were routine. The oncology visit revealed a treatment plan that will last about 15 months starting with chemo and ending with a treatment of drugs that I can seem to remember the names of. The hardest part will be the first 3 months. The usual nausea is expected though it's different with every patient.
She was in a lot of pain up until the plastic surgeon visit where he took about 60-70ml of fluid out of each expander to help reduce the pressure on all of the internal re-construction. On a scale of 1-10, her pain went from a "9" to a "5" in about 10 minutes.
Next week, we're off for a bone scan, and CT scan for benchmarking. That should be a lot of fun.

On an up note. We did have a chance to some shopping and eat at a nice place in Boston while we were there. Seemed to lift her spirits some.

Hang in there pal. She sounds like a tough cookie. This thing will be over before you know it!

Hi John,
It sounds like you folks are making the best of it :) It's tough but it will end and end well from the sound of it.
Cheers
fred

Make that 2 of us from The Sunshine State! :D

(insert appropriate get-well-soon note HERE)

Jason

Back