Quantcast

Need to seal... fins fins fins, and the body tube too!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Forever_Metal

JustAnotherBAR
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, but seems it's a dead thread

Decided to close it

fm

Last edited:

Marc_G

Reaction score
Fins: I use thin CA to seal/harden. Sometimes I paper with CA saturation. If I'm just filling sealed fins, I will either use coats of filler primer (Rusto Auto filler), or any of the following: Carpenter's Wood Filler (CWF), Bondo Spot/Glazing Putty, Tamiya putty, etc.

I don't seal my paper body tubes per se, though the filler primer I spray on as my first coat of "paint" seals the outside. Never bothered sealing the inside (but I would swab thin CA if I wanted to do that).

Don't use much plywood.

I'm all LPR or very light MPR, so bigger birds would probably require different techniques, or additional techniques (epoxy etc.).

MArc

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Me I use thin CA to harden and seal balsa nosecones, and exposed edges of LPR body tubes... If it's glued to a coupler, then that will be seal enough for me. I paper my fins (balsa and thinner ply fins) then use thin CA squeegeed to seal all the edges except the root.

For thicker ply fins, and MPR/HPR body tubes, I'll be sealing them with the water based Minwax Sanding Sealer (if I can find it here).

Latest posts