Need to replace my camera.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
My canon 7D died after 5 years of use at the launch this past weekend. I have 3 lenses for it and I am thinking buying another Canon. Which DSLR do you Use?

I've been really happy with my Nikon D7000, which I use "semi-professionally" now and then.
Most of the time I'm using a Nikkor DX 18-105 lens, but also occasionally use a DX 35 fixed or a DX 55-200.
About the only thing I find lacking is close-up focal range, but I utilize a (fairly inexpensive) Vivitar macro extension tube for super up-close shots that works just fine.

s6

I have a 20D. which lens do you have for the 5D II? I am looking at the 5D Mark IV, 1D-x II or 7D II.

The 5D doesn't have a built in flash, so I keep the 20D around for flash photography. I shoot mostly outside and can't really justify the cost of an external flash.

They are up to the 5D Mk IV. The sensor is 30.4 megapixels and the ISO settings go to 102,400! I once shot mine at max (25,600) and couldn't see much of what I was shooting and the photos turned out well. I was in an old church and was told that there were paintings on the ceiling.

some We have the 24-105. Great lens as I covers wide angle, standard and a little telephoto. This lens is on for 90% of the shots we take. You get some vignetting at the widest angle, 24, which gradually disappears around 28.

We have the 300 f4 prime. Great for wildlife photography. I usually use a 1.4X extender on it, making it an effective 420. I also have the 2x extender, but you lose autofocus with it as the 300 f4 is not good (i.e. expensive) enough. Heavy lens which makes hand held shooting difficult for my wife.

We also have the 18-40 for wide angle shots. Another good lens at it is lightweight compared to the others.

I have a 6D with a 24-70 2.8 II, a 16-35 F4, 100 f/2 and a Sigma 150-600mm. I've owned a bunch of other Canon lenses too. I buy them used and then sell them if I want to try something else. Someone on a camera forum said buying lenses is like dating girls, you have to date a few before you figure out what you really like.

My recommendation is to buy a used 5D III or a new 5DIV. Look at photography-on-the.net or fredmiranda.com in the for sale sections.

Sigma just came out with a 100-400 lens that is about 1/2 of Canon's version and is very sharp. If I didn't need the extra reach for wildlife that's probably the lens I would pick up.

Thanks Chris. I am going to look at the 5D and 1DX. I think I need to visit a camera shop if those still exist to try one out.

Sorry to hear about your 7d trouble. Because you already have 3 lenses, the easiest thing to do would be to pick-up another canon body. Between the various camera brands, personal preference is probably most important for most people. I say this having purchased my first SLR over 41 years ago. I've owned and used (personally and professionally) most every camera brand there is (or was).

It all comes down to what you really want/need to do. For still shots of the rocket just leaving the pad, nothing beats a high frame rate. If you are going to shoot movies, then auto-focus, or your ability to follow-focus becomes very important. Need to reach out to the away cell... long glass is available for every brand... whats your budget? Are you willing to lug around 5-15 lbs of camera/lens/tripod?

So what do I bring to the launch?
- Android phone with 16mp main camera - always in my pocket - super handy.
- 2x Go-pro knock offs for those awesome at-the-pad launch movies
- Nikon Point & Shoot - in my other pocket - much more versatile than the android phone camera.
- Pentax K3 on a tripod with a 100/300 zoom or a 500 mirror - to reach the away cell.

Why the Pentax and not a Canon/Nikon/Sony? The Pentax is weather sealed, can do 8 fps in a 40 frame burst, and if something bad happens - less painful (less expensive than a comparable Nikon/Canon) to replace.

I had a 500 mirror lens for my old Canon AE-1. What a pain to use. Manual focus and depth of field was about 1 foot at 60 or 70 yards. Darn near impossible to shoot anything that was moving faster than a turtle and even turtles were tough with that depth of field.

Is 7.5 frames per secomd still shots good enough for rockets?

Luckily, my 8 year old 5D is still working flawlessly. I actually bought it because of the 1.6 crop sensor and because I also already owned a couple cheaper Canon lenses from a D350. I was shooting a lot of R/C airplanes at the time. Being on a pretty tight budget, there was no way I could afford the nice 2.8L/70-200 IS USM II, but it's the best lens IMO for the kind of work I was doing. I got around the budget constraint by renting it from www.borrowlenses.com. They're also a great way to try different pieces of equipment if you're on the fence about something. I've used them quite a bit over the years and have never been disappointed.

The FPS is higher on the 7D vs 5D - 9.5 fps vs 7 fps. I am not sure that this would be that noticible.

I am almost certain I am going o buy the 5D.

The FPS is higher on the 7D vs 5D - 9.5 fps vs 7 fps. I am not sure that this would be that noticible.

I am almost certain I am going o buy the 5D.

Which Mark? I know the ones after the II that I have some interesting features, but nowhere near enough for me to run out and get one. Does one of these have HDR?

And am probably going to buy the 5D Mark IV over the 7D Mark II

I have the 60D, got a good deal for it. (upgraded from an original Rebel XTi!!) I was originally saving for the 7D. If you can afford one of the newer 5D, go get it.

Is there a reasonably good camera that can take rocket videos with zoom capability along with the capability to take still photos for on the order of $1,000? Is it better to shop on-line or go somewhere like Best Buy?

I love my new Sony a6000. Amazing 12 fps, always catches seveal great pics during launch. It has a pretty good zoom. But I'll be getting a better lense for more distance.

Last edited:
Is there a reasonably good camera that can take rocket videos with zoom capability along with the capability to take still photos for on the order of $1,000? Is it better to shop on-line or go somewhere like Best Buy?

I just popped back onto Ken Rockwell's site that I mentioned earlier in this thread. He mainly reviews DSLR, but he does do some other cameras. One pocket camera he likes is Sony RX100 MK V. He also tells you where to buy it and provides links. His reviews are well done and include sample photos with the actual cameras. The zoom capability isn't great for rocketry, but it takes great photos.

I love my new Sony a6500. Amazing 12 fps, always catches seveal great pics during launch. It has a pretty good zoom. But I'll be getting a better lense for more distance.

So, you do have a video option? What lens do you have now and what lens are you planning to get. It seems like mirrorless cameras are cheaper than DSLR's.

I have a Canon T6i which will do a serviceable job for rocketry pics if you get a fast SD card to go with it. It is 5 frames per second at 24.2 MegaPixel, so you can crop the crap out of a pic if necessary. You can get it as a kit with two lenses that will cover most of your needs. If you shoot RAW it will take 7-8 pics to fill the buffer (then it slows to about 3 fps, but keeps taking) with the card linked below. If you shoot jpeg it is continuous. Videos are good too, but I haven't done rocketry videos yet...no reason it won't work well for that.

I like B&H photo myself: Canon T6i kit and a good SD card.

Pics taken with referenced setup the first two times I used the camera, i.e. I was very much learning:

Last edited:
So, you do have a video option? What lens do you have now and what lens are you planning to get. It seems like mirrorless cameras are cheaper than DSLR's.

Yes, There is a video option. It has HD video, the next model up does 4k video. The stock lens is 18-50. There nice 18-200mm lens is amazing and costs as much as the camera. But Sony's 55-210mm lens looks nice at half the price.

Late to this thread, but I've got a 6D. The lens I use most frequently on it is a 70-200 f/2.8 IS. The 6D Mark II was just announced.

My 6D replaced the 20D I used for 8 years; I bought the 6D about three years ago. Between those two bodies, I have in excess of 80,000 pictures.

-Kevin

Back