need to add weight to nose

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comp5flyer

L3 qualified
Reaction score
HI, I am looking to add weight to nose. does anyone know if someone makes 1lb weights that will screw onto a 1/4" rod. please let me know.

Leo Malkin

What is the 1/4" rod attached to? How much weight do you need to add? Just off the cuff I'd be concerned about the 1/4" rod snapping under some duress and 1lb weights free falling from that point.

If you're willing to spend it, look for weights for arrows. They're 1/4"... I just add a bunch of steel washers to some all thread. You'd be surprised how few washers it takes to add several ounces.

What is the 1/4" rod attached to? How much weight do you need to add? Just off the cuff I'd be concerned about the 1/4" rod snapping under some duress and 1lb weights free falling from that point.

A 1/4-20 threaded rod is good to several thousand pounds. You could try putting a stack of large fender washers on a threaded rod, but I don't know how quickly that would add up to 3 pounds.

Last edited:
buy lead weights from a scuba shop and drill 1/4" holes for mounting.

I added about 38oz of weight to a 7 12 Hawk by pouring lead shot into the nosecone, then pouring finishing epoxy over that. Next some 2 part foam and a bulkhead. I also added 29mm motor tubing into the foamed area through the bulkhead where I can add some additional weight. The weights also were made of tubing with lead shot epoxied inside. A cover plate and bolt on the bulkhead would hold in place tho I've not flown a smaller motor to need to use that yet.

I added about 38oz of weight to a 7 12 Hawk by pouring lead shot into the nosecone, then pouring finishing epoxy over that. Next some 2 part foam and a bulkhead. I also added 29mm motor tubing into the foamed area through the bulkhead where I can add some additional weight. The weights also were made of tubing with lead shot epoxied inside. A cover plate and bolt on the bulkhead would hold in place tho I've not flown a smaller motor to need to use that yet.

You may want to consider adding the shot to the epoxy first and then pouring into the nosecone. The epoxy coating is more robust that way.

If you want removable weights, take a small diameter body tube and a tube that will fit a 1/4" rod. Epoxy them to a bulkhead on the one end. Then, fill with epoxy/shot mixture to desired weight. When it cures you can thread the 1/4-20 rod through the tube and secure the whole assembly with a nut/washer on the rod.

I've added weight to plastic nosecones in the past. Epoxy generally doesn't stick well to those nosecones, but I did find one that does work well.

https://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_plstc_s/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Plastic-Bonder.htm

1. drill a hole in the base of the nosecone just large enough to drop in ball bearings.
2. add bearings to desired weight.
3. squirt the epoxy into the nosecone to cover the bearings and lock them in.
4. you can leave the hole open if you want in case you want to add more weight in the future.

Nosecone weight.jpg

For plastic, you can also drill a pair of holes in the nose cone take a dowel or brass rod through them. https://www.jcrocket.com/plastic-nose-mods.shtml and [video=youtube;A8bS6Dbdw9Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8bS6Dbdw9Y[/video] are good resources for this.

I've added weight to plastic nosecones in the past. Epoxy generally doesn't stick well to those nosecones, but I did find one that does work well.

https://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_plstc_s/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Plastic-Bonder.htm

1. drill a hole in the base of the nosecone just large enough to drop in ball bearings.
2. add bearings to desired weight.
3. squirt the epoxy into the nosecone to cover the bearings and lock them in.
4. you can leave the hole open if you want in case you want to add more weight in the future.

View attachment 299133

IMG_0161.JPGIMG_0159.JPGIMG_0196.JPG

i made mine adjustable because the nose weight could go from 380g (I) to just south of 1000g (K) depending on the motor

:headbang::headbang: fm :headbang::headbang:

Last edited:
Back