Need some advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandpa$

Reaction score
My wife and I are building a Wildman 3 inch Dark Star together.

I like the look of the unpainted black fiberglass tubing so I don't want to paint it. However she wants to paint the rocket.

So I need some advice on how to solve this problem.

What color?

There's the old saying "Do you want to be right or do you want to be married?" :)

You could compromise and paint the fin can to cover fins and fillets, clear coat the payload section, and paint the nose cone.

Paint one half however she likes. Clear coat the other half. Marriage is a 50/50 compromise, right?;):Do_O

...OR

finish building this one together, and paint it her way. One of you gets another Wildman 3" DarkStar, Wildman, WildThang, or equivalent for Christmas (or equivalent). Build that one together too, but "paint it" your way.

Then you can drag race one-another. Win-Win.

This is fun. *Wish* my wife would build a rocket with me...Yes, I've tried!

...OR

finish building this one together, and paint it her way. One of you gets another Wildman 3" DarkStar, Wildman, WildThang, or equivalent for Christmas (or equivalent). Build that one together too, but "paint it" your way.

Then you can drag race one-another. Win-Win.

This is fun. *Wish* my wife would build a rocket with me...Yes, I've tried!

...or buy a booster (paint it the other way), and fly it two stage his and hers. This is one of those challenges that is an opportunity.

In all seriousness, the paint job will get ruined over time anyway, but she sounds like a keeper...just paint the rocket her way.

Draw a line thru the point the buttons are mounted. Draw another line thru the fins opposite the buttons. Paint one half, leave the other have nakid.. so, when you go to take your pics, one stands on one side, and have the painted rocket in the shot. the other stand on the other side, and has the nakid rocket in the picture..

I hate to paint so I fall fully in the don't paint camp but I am also Wayne's wife and he likes them painted, even if it is "only" with clear coat. So I leave mine unpainted and if Wayne really wants it painted he'll do it himself.

So if she wants it painted let her paint it! Emphasis on HER.

Talk to Mark at StickerShock, get him to design a cool mask, that covers 50% of the rocket. Masks off the rocket, paint it with a contrasting colour, then peel the mask off. Voilà a half-naked, half painted, everyone is happy and you have a cool design rocket.

Count your blessings in life. Paint it. Talk about it together about color and a name for it. Compromise on the color and name. Make sure she feels you are treating her well. She probably doesn't want an ass kisser for a husband, she probably just wants to be heard and be part of what you enjoy.

Maybe you could ask her how she feels about clear coat paint? Technically clear coat is paint and then you could keep the fiberglass color. But honestly more rockets is the only solution.

"Be thankful that you have a wife who cares about rocketry and do whatever it takes to keep her interested."

Does have its good points, she does ask "Have you made reservations for MWP?"

However, she never asks "How much did that cost?" because SHE KNOWS!

My wife and I are building a Wildman 3 inch Dark Star together.

I like the look of the unpainted black fiberglass tubing so I don't want to paint it. However she wants to paint the rocket.

So I need some advice on how to solve this problem.
Get a new wife who likes rockets naked.

OK, seriously, my answer is similar to the half-and-half suggestions, but better (imo, of course). Work together on a paint scheme that incorporates the unpainted black. Something that accents the black and also benefits from it. And I emphasize working together to come up with such a scheme so in the end you're both happy with it.

Get a new wife who likes rockets naked.

OK, seriously, my answer is similar to the half-and-half suggestions, but better (imo, of course). Work together on a paint scheme that incorporates the unpainted black. Something that accents the black and also benefits from it. And I emphasize working together to come up with such a scheme so in the end you're both happy with it.

I was thinking along those lines as well. Find some paint scheme that utilizes the "black" of the Carbon fiber or the "green" of bare fiberglass (whichever you have) and then just clearcoat that as a part of the overall design.

Solve both problems by painting with black Metallic paint still looks like tubing but painted....lol Sections of airframe painted and not. No need for primer go right over tube and super high gloss.
check out the sticky at top of high power thread for all the details of build DarkStar 3 in.

DSCN1634.jpg DSCN1563.jpg

His and hers is still the best way, no reason or room for compromise of any kind. I always prefer having my cake and eat it, compromise is the absolute last resort we use.

As the joke goes, "My wife wanted a dog but I didn't, so we compromised and got a dog."

I think most folks here missed the intended humor in the OP's post, his last line, after scrolling down, is "what color?"

He knows the right answer.

Tony

Last edited:
Compromise and paint it the color she wants to paint it.
BWHAHAHA!!!
I laughed a little too hard at this!

Has she ever painted/finished a rocket before? To what level of detail?
One option is to lead her to a thread here that shows how much of a PITA it can be to achieve a nice finish.
Another option is paint it yourself. Take weeks with curing, sanding, spraying, repeat, repeat....repeat. Maybe she'll rethink it.
And another is let her paint it and just leave it at that.

Come up with a scheme that incorporates a significant amount of black. Mask off the black areas so after all is said and done all of the black will be bare fiberglass. Then clear coat, especially if you'll be wet sanding, so you don't inadvertently, uhm, fade to black.
Examples to be left black:
Roll patterns
Name
Striping
Flames
Nose cone
Fins

I've always liked yellow, "alien" green, or orange with black. But really most anything goes with black. I've done Carbon red with flat black (turned out REALLY nice), Emerald green metallic, blue, and purple with black as well. All look good.

My near-wife has mentioned twice now that she wants to build a rocket. I picked up an Estes Executioner to give her for Christmas. We'll see how this goes. It may be a good thing the doctor put me on beta blockers. :)

All else aside...you know what to do. If not, she'll set ya straight.

Let her paint it. What a novel idea!!! *REMOVED PROFANITY* Love It!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t like painting rockets, but a little poem by Ogden Nash comes to mind.

“To keep your marriage brimming, With love in the loving cup, Whenever you're wrong, admit it; Whenever you're right, shut up.”

Ogden Nash

Shut up and paint the rocket.

Joe

Back