Need Scale Kit Suggestion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
In an effort to carry a SCALE kit, I need suggestions for the model of choice! I am currently exploring a few options but am interested in what others want!!

As always...THANKS!!

The one scale kit I would love to see done would be the Gemini Titan with the 2 motor cluster. Maddog (another poster here) was supposed to be doing one that he would offer as a kit, and a lot of us replied that we'd be interested, but I haven't seen anything about it on here for about a month now since he originally posted about it. Just look what the "newer" Estes Gemini Titan from about 14 years ago goes for on ebay. And that one is not with the dual motors! Anyone who does this kit, and does it right, will have plenty of buyers! And I'll be happy to be first!

Glenn

Black Brant II....best looking rocket in my opinion. Very high performance as well.

Here one that you just don't see kitted.
It would have to be 4 motor cluster.
The one and only Nike Hercules.
Boy I would love a Herc Kit

John,

How about a midpower Vostok?

Or one of the prettiest rockets EVER...The Terrier Sandhawk!

sandman

How about the Soviet N-1?

No one, anywhere, has EVER kitted this rocket, and that's a damned shame!

Originally posted by vjp
How about the Soviet N-1?

No one, anywhere, has EVER kitted this rocket, and that's a damned shame!

Mike Jerauld of Blast From The Past Rocketry did a really nice scale model - he's got some pics on his website. Might even be able to give an assist if you want to produce a full-production run of it.

I'm personally quite fond of the Soyuz delivery system - you could make a mid-power/cluster kit that had interchangeable payloads for each of the different Russian launch types.

WW

Originally posted by Aerobee300
>>> Aerobee Hi gap 2 stage <<<

Working on it...
I am still working on the second stage coupling. I am trying to make the coupling more "Scale like"...

Aerobee-Hi%202%20stage.jpg

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it would still be nice to have a kit maker do this.

I would like to see a PMC kit. The kitmaker would buy the base kit, add rocket parts and instructions for the conversion, flight test it, and provide CG/CP information. This would provde a PMC newbie like me the safety of a conversion that will work, allowing us to learn what we need to learn to do our own "scratch-built" PMC.

OOOoooooooohhhh....

Sorry for the long post, but I have a few suggestions.

How about the ONR/Titan "Affordable Weapon"
aw.jpg

aw-1.jpg

It could be a boost glider with a pop-pod and glide recovery like the Crusader swing-wing or Scissorwing Transport.... *drool*

The MQM-8G Talos
mqm-8g.jpg

The LIM-49A Spartan
lim-49a.jpg

Or a PGM-11A Redstone (not the Merc Redstone)
pgm-11a.jpg

The MQM-8G Talos is one awesome looking rocket !!! I like the PGM-11A Redstone too !

But don't anyone like the SAM 3 ??? I've posted in various places in the forum talking about the old Centuri kit ... no one has responded about it .... was it a rare kit that everyone but me seemed to have missed back around 82 ???

(really can't wait for the Aerobee HI 2 stage myself ... note forum name ... lol)

There are alot of scale rockets that are never attempted to be converted to kit form for one reason or another. The biggest reason being because of their complexities, which make them more of a novelty than a money making idea....So since the more complex shrouded rockets like the Vostok's and N1's were tossed out there, I will have to vote for the rocket I concider the "9th wonder of the world," and that is the mighty NIKE HERCULES! (The 8th wonder is the Saturn V, and it has been done already)

A cluster of 4 D's or E's, with option to stage electronicaly to yet another D or E, or leave it as single 4-cluster rocket...

If the mechanics can be worked out on the inner stage coupler, the rest is all paper shrouds and tubes. Basswood fins...custom balsa nosecone to get that scale "cigar" shaped upper stage.

John

I've neen beat to all these, count them as a second vote:

RIM-8 Talos (either a single or 2 stage) - I have a beginning Rsim file of the airframe and tubes, I just can't figure out how to model the ramjet nose cone.

Nike Hercules - Besides the LaunchPad Plan Pak and a $600 fiberglass kit, nobody ever seems to have touched this one. Unless you count Wedge Oldham who built one a couple of years back with 4 X M in the booster and (I think) a single N in the sustainer.

A

John, just wondering .... will the booster stage on the Aerobee HI work with a modified version of the sustainer on your existing Aerobee 300 clone ???

Are the 2 kits going to be the same scale ? (crossing fingers)

This might not be the right thread for this question ... but OH WELL !!! It does concern scale rockets !

Originally posted by Aerobee300
John, just wondering .... will the booster stage on the Aerobee HI work with a modified version of the sustainer on your existing Aerobee 300 clone ???

Are the 2 kits going to be the same scale ? (crossing fingers)

This might not be the right thread for this question ... but OH WELL !!! It does concern scale rockets !

No, and here's why. The Aerobee Hi will be based on a BT55 airframe not a BT50 like it's closely related clone. However, it would be reather easy to make the Aerobee 300 a 2 stage. Simply cut a piece of BT50 (The right scale length), fill it with a BT20 mount and vent. Attach some fins, and a coupler and away you go! The only problem (and I doubt it's a big one) is the coupler because you will have to deal with wherever the aft centering ring is on the sustainer.

If you need some extra parts...just drop me a PM or e-mail.

Aerobee300,

Here's an idea!

Build another kit! I have two or three of a lot of kits...just 'cause!

sandman

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
John

I've neen beat to all these, count them as a second vote:

RIM-8 Talos (either a single or 2 stage) - I have a beginning Rsim file of the airframe and tubes, I just can't figure out how to model the ramjet nose cone.

Nike Hercules - Besides the LaunchPad Plan Pak and a $600 fiberglass kit, nobody ever seems to have touched this one. Unless you count Wedge Oldham who built one a couple of years back with 4 X M in the booster and (I think) a single N in the sustainer.

A

A way of simulating a ramjet cone on RSim, assuming that the cone is not countersunk in the ramjet:

Let's say the base diameter of the cone, or tip, on the ramjet is .75"; the diameter of the forward part of the "jet" itself is 1", and it fits on a BT55 or 1.325" airframe.

Start with a solid balsa nose cone. Make the diameter .75", the length .75", and the shape "conical" or "ogive" depending on the look you want. For the shoulder, set the Diameter at .75" and the shoulder length 0.001".

Then add a transition. Forward diameter 1", rear diameter 1.325", shape "ogive", length whatever you think it should be, say 2.5". Set the forward shoulder diameter at 1" with a shoulder length of 0.001", and the rear shoulder to fit a BT55.

Voila!

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Working on it...
I am still working on the second stage coupling. I am trying to make the coupling more "Scale like"...

Have you considered joining the two stages with small diameter carbon fibre rods? That might look a bit more scale-like.

Originally posted by flying_silverad
In an effort to carry a SCALE kit, I need suggestions for the model of choice! I am currently exploring a few options but am interested in what others want!!

A Black Knight would be nice.
So would a Nike Hercules, as someone else suggested.

A way of simulating a ramjet cone on RSim, assuming that the cone is not countersunk in the ramjet:

The RIM-8 does have a countersunk nose, however, your idea has merit. I want to experiment a bit...

TeflonRocketry....Are you listening in?

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
Have you considered joining the two stages with small diameter carbon fibre rods? That might look a bit more scale-like.

Although I like the idea, it will be a kit and that coupled with gap staging may makea bit of an issue. I like the carbon rods though...

Back