Need Replacement Nose Cones for Estes Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfrielin

Reaction score
After landing my second Nike Smoke in the trees and, then somehow the rocket body wrestled itself free and fell to the ground---sans nose cone and parachute--I'm now in the possession of two flight-worthy Nike Smoke bodies in need of replacement nose cones---3 inch diameter cones.

I tried ordering one from Hobbylinc.com (LOC 3.00 in supposedly) but it was too large to fit and I'm not sure it's worth it to try to cut or sand it to fit. I paid for a 3 inch nose cone and should have gotten one!

So, does anyone have a source for a real Nike Smoke nose cone?

Or maybe a transition coupler thing that goes from 3 in down to 2.6 in because I have a couple of spare Estes Executioner nose cones that are 2.6 in diameter.

Any leads would be appreciated.

You did get a 3" cone. It just isn't the same. The problem is that Estes uses a unique size for their 3" tubing. Basically, they use tubing that is 3" on the outside diameter. Conversely, LOC (and multiple other companies) use tubing that has a 3" inside diameter, so the outside is around 3.125". It just a matter of Estes not conforming to the industry standard. As such, I doubt you'll find any off the shelf transitions that fit the Estes tube either. If you're just looking for a cone that'll fit the tube and don't care if its a Nike Smoke cone, Apogee has one that should fit: https://www.apogeerockets.com/Build...th=42_47_257&zenid=c4e3f8t92283h4jehdigco3n04

You did get a 3" cone. It just isn't the same. The problem is that Estes uses a unique size for their 3" tubing. Basically, they use tubing that is 3" on the outside diameter. Conversely, LOC (and multiple other companies) use tubing that has a 3" inside diameter, so the outside is around 3.125". It just a matter of Estes not conforming to the industry standard. As such, I doubt you'll find any off the shelf transitions that fit the Estes tube either. If you're just looking for a cone that'll fit the tube and don't care if its a Nike Smoke cone, Apogee has one that should fit: https://www.apogeerockets.com/Build...th=42_47_257&zenid=c4e3f8t92283h4jehdigco3n04

Thanks for the information. No, I don' care if it's a Nike Smoke nose cone--I just want two that fit so I can get my investment out of these two builds that have accumulated a total of only three flights so far. I'll look into Apogee---thanks again!

P.S. Hobbylinc.com is letting me return this one for a refund, so good for them!

Balsa Machining Service sells a PNC-300K nosecone for the Estes 3" tubing, it is similar too but slightly longer than the Leviathan/Scion/Big Daddy nosecone.

Mercury Engineering sales one Part # ME-NC-300 for $12.00 and is 11" long with 3" shoulder. The tubing is a off size as mentioned above. It is also called 3" thin wall tubing. OD 3" & ID of 2.92" Same as Big Daddy and the old NCR by Estes Lance Beta. Balsa Machine Shop sales three nose cones for this size tubing, check their sight for more details, part # BNC-300BB; BNC-300K & PNC-300K, I believe the PNC-300K is the same as the ME-NC-300 and is the same price. Of coarse if you have an old big daddy around, that cone which is 9" long will fit to.

Mercury Engineering sales one Part # ME-NC-300 for $12.00 and is 11" long with 3" shoulder. The tubing is a off size as mentioned above. It is also called 3" thin wall tubing. OD 3" & ID of 2.92" Same as Big Daddy and the old NCR by Estes Lance Beta. Balsa Machine Shop sales three nose cones for this size tubing, check their sight for more details, part # BNC-300BB; BNC-300K & PNC-300K, I believe the PNC-300K is the same as the ME-NC-300 and is the same price. Of coarse if you have an old big daddy around, that cone which is 9" long will fit to.

You are correct on the ME-NC-300, it is the same as the PNC-300K.

Rich, remember this picture from about two years ago? Rich took a picture of both the Big Daddy and the PNC-300 nose cones beside one another. Here they are. Big Daddy is about 9" long and the 300 is 11" long.

EstesPSII3%20andBMSpnc300k.jpg

Rich, remember this picture from about two years ago? Rich took a picture of both the Big Daddy and the PNC-300 nose cones beside one another. Here they are. Big Daddy is about 9" long and the 300 is 11" long.

View attachment 322514

Yep, I remember that pic, still have the computer but not the house its in. The PNC-300K is a upscale of the PNC-80K iirc BMS's website, and it would also be a good candidate for upscales of rockets using a PNC-50Y. The BigDaddy NC is nearly perfect for the MIM-104 Patriot, AIM-54 Phoenix, MIM-23 Hawk and any number of military type missles. The BigDaddy NC is also made of slightly heavier plastic than the PNC-300K. Both would be good replacements for the Nike Smoke if you are unable to get one.

Thanks Flash for posting that pic, if I had been on my home computer instead of phone I would have reposted it here.

The Apogee nose cone that EXPjawa recommended earlier came today and it fits perfectly---thanks!

I have two Econojet F42-4T engines with which to test this Nike Smoke and new nose cone, so wish me luck.

I talked with Bill at BMS about the 3" nose cone. Bill bought Mercury Engineering (in big part) to get that 3" nose cone.
He now sells it on the $14.95 3" School rocket.
The 3" School rocket is a great value over buying the nose cone separately. For just $3.00 for you get the body tube, fins, engine mount and parachute.

Try e-mailing Estes Customer Service. They nay send you a free replacement.

Rocketron

I did that---they told e, no, they don't sell parts. At least they were prompt about it.

I'll bet if Vern were still running Estes, he'd have shipped me one ASAP. And gratis.

Estes has the kits coming complete and packaged from China. They have no inventory of parts in the US. That's why when someone has a genuine warranty complaint (say, the body tube is crushed in the package), they ship out an entire replacement kit rather than a new tube. Vern did things differently, but Vern hasn't been part of the system in over 4 decades. I don't think a business model like that would be tenable in today's economy. My guess is that in all likelihood, Estes would've disappeared years ago if Hobbico hadn't moved their production overseas...

Back