Need opinions on R/C Gliders...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Greetings...

This may be an oddball question for this type of forum, but I am curious if anyone here has had any experience with R/C gliders. The 2 models that I am considering for purchase are the Cox/Estes Black Maxx or the Sky Vector (unsure of manufacturer). Each of these kits cost about $89-$129 and are complete with radios, servos, and batteries. These kits are electric powered and provide flight times of about 15-20 minutes.

The reason I'd like to get one of these is to hone my R/C aircraft skills. I would like to eventually purchase Estes rerelease of the Strato Blaster (or other rocket glider) and not have to worry about crashing on my first flight.

Do you know anyone that has owned one? Do they work OK?

The only other alternative is to fly on a simulator (ie Great Planes). I'd much rather fly a real thing for the same cost.

Thanks in advance,
Eugene

So very interesting you should ask about that.....

Ken Parker and Carl Tulanko are the gurus of R/C gliders/planes on this here forum.

There has been a wide variety of discussion in the Mid-Powered Rocket forum for the last couple of weeks on a project that Carl was working on.

I'm sure they'll post more and try to help you out as much as they can.

Jason

Hey, Eugene. I am a rocket-boosted RC glider fanatic. Well, in fairness (and before one of my "buddies" chimes in here) I have been called a fanatic about a number of things !!!

I'm at work right now, but hopefully tonight I'll have some time to post some replies to your questions.

- Ken

Eugene,

First of all, welcome to the forum!!! I think you will have a good time here as we try to create a friendly atmosphere...it's just us! :)

In all honesty, I must admit I am fairly new to R/C Rocket Gliders, even though I have been flying R/C for over 15 years and have flown everything from helicopters to jets. Gliders are easy to fly, but a rocket glider is quite a bit different on the launch, as I found out the hard way. It was a good learning experience though.

Regarding Mr Parker, Ken is definitely more experienced in the R/C rocket glider section; as a matter of fact, he and I started flying together R/C back in the 80's. While I was a newly graduated pilot, he had 10 years already on me. Ken is definitely older than "dirt" in the R/C field and, although his eyes aren't quite what they used to be, he is still a good pilot.

I too will be looking forward to his post as he is the resident expert in the field while I am just learning. We should have a successful rocket glider flight here soon though, that is once I shake it down in R/C electric power mode and get it trimmed in this weekend.

Once again, welcome and enjoy!

Carl

Eugene:

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I was tied up with a work obligation yesterday that literally took all day and involved a meager 400+ mile road trip. Not a fun way to spend a Saturday. At any rate.....

I can't quite tell from your post whether you already know how to fly RC or if you are just starting out. I am going to assume that you are just starting out and have never flown RC before.

What I see as your primary question was would the Cox/Estes Black Maxx or Sky Vector be satisfactory as a glider to use to practice with in preparation for flying something like an Estes StratoBlaster.

I do not have personal experience with the Black Maxx or Sky Vector, so I hesitate to either recommend or de-recommend them. However.... if you have never flown RC before, I don't think those really small birds are a good way to start out.

Also, if you are just starting out, unless you have a lot of money, a lot of time, and a lot of parience, (not to mention a lot of luck) you need to find someone who has trained new RC flyers to help you. It is very difficult to learn to fly RC on your own.

Now, having given that disclaimer, I can recommend other gliders that I think would be good to use TO LEARN to fly RC.

I have seen the Great Planes Spectras fly, and they are a decent glider for learning / practicing. I've also seen a ThunderTiger WindStar fly. Another is the Hangar 9 Aspire glider. Carl Tulanko I believe has a Goldberg Electric Lady (I think?) which I think is a Gentle Lady with an electric motor. All of these are 2 meter (wingspan approx 72" to 78") gliders. If you learn to fly RC on these, I would think that you could then switch to your Black Maxx or Sky Vector to get experience with something smaller and lighter.

You can try starting out with the smaller ones, but I personally think that you would be putting a much larger challenge on yourself.

Now.... about simulators. Of all the people that I have taught to fly RC, the two who soloed the fastest had spent about 8 months practicing on the Great Planes RealFlight simulator. It was a father-son duo, and the father landed the plane on HIS FIRST FLIGHT. He soloed on his second flight. The son was a bit slower. He landed on his second flight, and soloed on his third. Fastest that I have ever seen anyone flying on their own. Sooooo.... I think that the simulators can really make a positive difference.

Having said all of the above, if you do know how to fly RC already, then I think it would be a good idea to try a Black Maxx or a Sky Vector before going on to something like the StratoBlaster. You do need experience flying small, light RC gliders to have a good chance of success with something like a StratoBlaster. I have flown a StratoBlaster, (you can read about its flights and its demise in another thread on the forum), and I can tell you that you do need pretty solid RC flying skills to handle it - ESPECIALLY if there needs to be any type of course correction during boost.

I, too, am anxiously awaiting the re-release of the StratoBlaster, but I am getting worried as Estes has delayed the release at least twice now - in other words, I am concerned that it may be cancelled. I do have one of the old unbuilt kits still in my inventory, and I do intend to make patterns of the parts before I build it, but I don't know of any way to actually duplicate the plastic parts for the fuselage. I could make a satisfactory fuselage out of balsa and lite ply, but it wouldn't be quite as cool - or as light.

At any rate, I think rocket boosted RC gliders are a really fun aspect of rocketry. I currently have an SR-71 Blackbird and a converted-from-electric Pico Combat Jet. The Combat Jet is set up to fly on AT 29/40-120 RMS hardware, and it normally launches on an F40. It's an animal. I am working on converting a Wattage Mirage and a Wattage Raptor. I also have a couple of vintage kits, the aforementioned StratoBlaster kit and an Aerotech Phoenix. There are numerous other kits and projects that I have in mind.

I hope this has been of some help. In closing, remember that this is only one person's opinion. Talk to others and collect some other input, then plan your own course of action. And, if you do end up with a Strat, please post some info on the forum as to how things go. We luv hearing about those new experiences !!

- Ken

Phew! One heck of a reply...well worth the wait.

Well, I can't claim hours of flight practice on an RC plane, but I have had limited experience with RC aircraft. My brother has 2 kits and on occasion has let me take over the controls. I have a good feel for navigation (towards and away), but don't think I could stick a landing. He lives in N. Carolina which makes practicing regularly impractical. The only real flight experience is here at work. When I am not working in the computer department, I am the RC blimp pilot for the TB Lightning NHL games and indoor arena football games. I learned that the hardest part was distinguishing right from left when the aircraft is approaching. (You get the same feeling with an RC car.)

I think I will go ahead with one of the 2 electric planes. Hopefully I won't be disappointed with their quality. From what I have heard, they work pretty good. I have also heard they can take a beating if they are crashed. I just need some more experience navigating and practicing landings. With either of the 2 planes, you can go into glider mode mid-flight. This is something that will come in handy especially if I am preparing for a return flight from an RC rocket glider.

BTW, I have since located a hobby shop that has 2 AstroBlasters in stock and 1 StratoBlaster. All three are covered in dust and are selling for about $125 ea. I may just have to pick one up! The shop owner has been in business for over 40 years. His place is a junkyard of hobbies. There are TONS of parts (RC cars/planes) laying everywhere. He also has almost every Launch Pad kit that was ever made hanging on the walls. YES, these are for sale too! This guy happened to have a stash of Aerotech motors. I took home about $90 worth of motors.

I'll be happy to post some experiences once I purchase either a glider or x-Blaster from Estes.

Thanks a ton!

Originally posted by KenParker
Eugene:

I can't quite tell from your post whether you already know how to fly RC or if you are just starting out. I am going to assume that you are just starting out and have never flown RC before.

<SNIP>

Having said all of the above, if you do know how to fly RC already, then I think it would be a good idea to try a Black Maxx or a Sky Vector before going on to something like the StratoBlaster. You do need experience flying small, light RC gliders to have a good chance of success with something like a StratoBlaster. I have flown a StratoBlaster, (you can read about its flights and its demise in another thread on the forum), and I can tell you that you do need pretty solid RC flying skills to handle it - ESPECIALLY if there needs to be any type of course correction during boost.

<SNIP>

I hope this has been of some help. In closing, remember that this is only one person's opinion. Talk to others and collect some other input, then plan your own course of action. And, if you do end up with a Strat, please post some info on the forum as to how things go. We luv hearing about those new experiences !!

- Ken

Hello everyone. I guess I am sort of resurrecting this thread to let everyone know what my findings were and how my experience with my first RC electric glider went.

After researching several different model planes, I finally chose Hobby Zone's Firebird II. Why? Because the salesman was really nice and I was in a purchasing kind of mood. Nah, the other birds I had previously mentioned were too similar to not be able to differentiate which plane I would go with. The Firebird II came complete with radio, all servos and motors, rechargeable battery pack and charger, RTF airplane, replacement wing, instructional video and manual.

Initially, I estimated this would be a gimmick or some worthless crap only proven to fly in controlled research conditions. Trust me, I had a traumatizing experience as a kid with a Cox Flyboy...the damn thing flew away on me never to be seen again. Aside from the 2 hours it takes to charge the battery, setup took about 2 minutes. I followed all of the recommended test conditions and gave it a toss. What a dream! I was flying my first RC plane without any true experience. Even with a slight breeze, I was able to fly back and forth on the football field without any trouble at all.

Total cost: $96 w/ tax.

I'm looking forward to my next time out. Although it will truly never satisfy my need for power, it certainly is a great way to get into RC planes. Additionally, I have a feeling I'll need to fly a couple of my brother's planes before I ever lift off with an AstroBlaster!

For pics of the plane I just mentioned, check out this link. They provide a more detailed review and some good photos.

https://www.wildhobbies.com/news/default.asp?cmd=view&articleid=443

Back