Need Openrocket file for a Mach 1 38mm BT60 Speed Demon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd Leichentritt

Laserlloyd
Reaction score
I'm in need of a Openrocket file for a Mach 1 38mm BT-60 Speed Demon. I'm planning on going for a Lvl 2 Cert flight at the NARAM 61 meet. I still have to locate a 39/720 case for it.

I'm in need of a Openrocket file for a Mach 1 38mm BT-60 Speed Demon. I'm planning on going for a Lvl 2 Cert flight at the NARAM 61 meet. I still have to locate a 39/720 case for it.

I have attached the Rocksim file I created for the Omicron as well as the Mach1 parts I added to the database. Please feel free to use it however it would help. You should be able to add the materials and parts to Openrocket. The database stuff has the most value in my opinion.

Get back in touch if there are any qustions.

Attachments

• mach1_omicron_bt60.rkt
    80 KB · Views: 41
  • BTDATA.CSV
    19.9 KB · Views: 31
  • FSDATA.CSV
    7.9 KB · Views: 35
I have attached the Rocksim file I created for the Omicron as well as the Mach1 parts I added to the database. Please feel free to use it however it would help. You should be able to add the materials and parts to Openrocket. The database stuff has the most value in my opinion.

Get back in touch if there are any qustions.

How do you import the .csv files into OR?

How do you import the .csv files into OR?
at least on the current released version, you can't, BUT you can define a new material by selecting custom material in a body tube for example. Just use the drop down on Component Material and select Custom at the end of the list. Another box shows up where you can define a new material and even add it to the database. The CVS is text, so you just find the line marked Mach1 and add that info to the box on OR.

Would have helped if I had included the Materials.CSV file...

Attachments

• MATERIAL.CSV
    9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Thank you Steve., I just downloaded Openrocket last week and I got some Aerotech motor data from your site yesterday. I'm too new to the software to figure it out quicky. It's good that work for a Software Cad/Cam company, lol...

Thank you Steve., I just downloaded Openrocket last week and I got some Aerotech motor data from your site yesterday. I'm too new to the software to figure it out quicky. It's good that work for a Software Cad/Cam company, lol...

You are very welcome. I am an electrical engineer by trade, so both software and hardware are my "thing".

Why would that be hard?
My point exactly. Creating sims for a few fins and a nosecone it not difficult. With the posts that were added after mine, I can see where the OP my be a little anxious as a new OR user. Still, a nose cone, tube, and fins are not all that difficult.
OK, it is a Mach 1 product, so one may have to fudge material density. With kit in hand, that components can be weighed and mass override used.

I literally just weight all the components last night to the nearest 100th of a ounce. Planning on starting the build today. I'll attach my file here. I did change a few things. I'm using 1" off the end of the A/V bay as the anchor in the tube for my Kevlar. I also have an Aeropack 38mm retainer on the end, other than that, it's good to go... this is for the minimum diameter 38mm motor version. Both Single and DD version files. Feel free to adjust the A/V bay accordingly.

Attachments

• Speed-Demon-BT-60.ork
    416.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Speed-Demon-BT-60 single deploy.ork
    416 KB · Views: 28
My point exactly. Creating sims for a few fins and a nosecone it not difficult. With the posts that were added after mine, I can see where the OP my be a little anxious as a new OR user. Still, a nose cone, tube, and fins are not all that difficult.
OK, it is a Mach 1 product, so one may have to fudge material density. With kit in hand, that components can be weighed and mass override used.

actually I already supplied the information for the material density for Mach1 fiberglass (142.3 lbs/cubic foot). You really don't need to use mass override and have to re-design every part that goes in your rockets when using Mach1 fiberglass.

At the end of the day there are really only 3 things that OR cares about:

1. Does the physical lay out and dimensioning of the parts match the real world item?
2. Does the loaded, ready to fly CG match the real world item?
3. Does the loaded, ready to fly weight match the real world item?

If the answer is NO, then you fix it. 1 is fixed with how you define the component and location, 2 and 3 are fixed with master override.

All 3 are things that you should check before trusting a single data point from your sim.

Weighing individual components is convienent for planning, but the 3 items above are always necessary to have any trust in your sim data.

Last edited:
I used the OR file on the Mach1 website for the BT-60 Antigravity and modified it to fit my Starlight - haven’t had a chance to weigh the parts yet to see how close it came but when I do I’ll post an update. I’d share the file but it’s on the PC and this is being sent from my tablet...at least here’s the link to the Antigravity file:
https://www.mach1rocketry.com/store/p53/Antigravity.html

I literally just weight all the components last night to the nearest 100th of a ounce. Planning on starting the build today. I'll attach my file here. I did change a few things. I'm using 1" off the end of the A/V bay as the anchor in the tube for my Kevlar. I also have an Aeropack 38mm retainer on the end, other than that, it's good to go... this is for the minimum diameter 38mm motor version. Both Single and DD version files. Feel free to adjust the A/V bay accordingly.

I've looked at the .ork file that you've uploaded... It looks pretty good. I'm not that familiar with the Aeropack retainer. So I can't help much there, but the blob at the end of the rocket looks odd to say the least.

From the photo that I found of their 1.63 plastic nosecone it's blunted. You can sim that by using a small nosecone that is either parabolic, or one of the power series shapes, then a longer ogive transition to create a more accurate shape of the nosecone.

I tried to eliminate the separation line from the nosecone to the body tube, but I lost the decal... Puzzling. Then again, I tried that at 4am local... So, my brain isn't quite fully up to speed. It's now after 5am, and I've rewritten this post a couple of times, and things are still a tad fuzzy. I hate insomnia. Spent some time looking at the problem, and realized what you need to do. Rotate the image 90 degrees, and not use the rotate function in OR to fix it.

upload_2018-11-20_7-17-21.png

I went ahead and tweaked the file to fix the decal issue, and got rid of the annoying shutterstock watermarks in the flames. To make the body tube/fin joint more visible, I changed the color of the black fins slightly. I also added the name (instead of it saying "Rocket"), and put in some credit info (design by Mach 1, ork file by swatkat, and a mention of my graphics work.

Attachments

• Speed-Demon-BT-60.ork
    388 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thanks! Yeah, I'm not an OR expert by any means, but the sims come out half-way close... this will no doubt help! I'll be posting the build thread tonight. I'm almost done with all the fin prep. I'll post it in the high power section as it's a 38mm mount and will be my foray into the mile-high club.

K'Tesh, THANK YOU>>>>>>>>>>>

This is fantastic.

I got a hold of Neil and he was able to help out with the resolution issue I had. Now I have to go over the OER tutorials...

How do you get that color view???

Thanks you for your help...

Lloyd...

K'Tesh, THANK YOU>>>>>>>>>>>

This is fantastic.

I got a hold of Neil and he was able to help out with the resolution issue I had. Now I have to go over the OER tutorials...

How do you get that color view???

Thanks you for your help...

Lloyd...
Lloyd, I didn't make that file... swatkat did. I just tweaked it.

Glad that Neil was able to get you straightened out with the resolution problem.

Color view? Nope... 3D Finished view.

upload_2018-11-20_12-29-23.png

And I just tweaked Steve's file! Posting a build thread on it now. I'm letting the JB-Weld dry on the fins. :)

Spoke to Steven at MACH 1, and confirmed my suspicion... The nosecone is the Estes PNC-60RL (PN 072305) meaning that doesn't have that "poke your eye out" point on it.

upload_2018-11-23_11-13-16.png

I still need to get more info on that Aeropack 38mm retainer to get that blob figured out.

Attachments

• MACH 1 Speed Demon BT-60.ork
    388.2 KB · Views: 25
I will be upgrading mine to the 38mm LOC Plastic Nose Cone that is sleeved with a fiberglass sleeve. I took off the Aeropack, modified the Av Bay to be more like the Mach 1 sled, added the nose cone GPS. I also add epoxy to the materials list and used that for adding fillet to the fins.

Yeah, I may look at an FG nose later on as well. Madcow makes a nice pointy one. Although even with the plastic one the CG/CP ratio looks fine for any motor.

The question is how hard are you going to push this? If you're going to push it hard (mach 1.5+) the stock plastic nosecone may not be up to the challenge.

Back