Need nosecone and transition

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11bravo

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this.
I have looked around various sites and cannot find what I want in a nosecone; apparently, I prefer my nosecones a tad longer than most others do theirs.
This is the fit the 3x3 Screamer rocket, a thread about which (and RockSim7 file) can be found at
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10255
What I want is a balsa nosecone 10 inches from tip to shoulder that will fit a BT-55. RS #s for the BT are OD=1.325"/33.65mm ID=1.283"/32.59mm. Shoulder in the 1-2 inch range. ?.
The transition will go from a BT-55 to a BT-70. RS BT-70 #s are OD=2.217"/56.31mm ID=2.180"/55.37mm. Length has changed to 5.75". And solid instead of hollow.
If someone that has the capability to make these for me would be interested in making a few bucks would PM me with prices we could probably do business.
Thanks,
Greg

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Not sure where to post this.
I have looked around various sites and cannot find what I want in a nosecone; apparently, I prefer my nosecones a tad longer than most others do theirs.
..... [stuff]
Thanks,
Greg

Sandman is the local wood turning guru. He's done some fairly offbeat pieces for me.

Another option is Balsa Machining Service. Their ordering form lets you fill in all the specs yourself.

Either way, you tell them exactly what you want, and you'll get exactly that.

I you ordered your cone from Balsa Machining, you'd be looking at a "price category 6" cone if you want it 10" above the shoulder. However, you'd be limited to a shoulder length of 0.75" long because their max length on a cone less than 1.95" OD is 10.75" including the shoulder. I'd suggest going with the 15lb contest (hard) balsa at least on a cone like that - very pointy tips on 8lb contest balsa tend to break off easily.

If you want a longer shoulder, Sandman is the only other source I know of, short of turning your own or finding a friend to turn one for you.

BMS would have no problem with the transition (and neither would Sandman for that matter.)

Thanks guys.
When I was looking around the other day, the BMS site was not cooperating; click a link and get "page not found".
What I could access seemed to indicate that they had stock nose cones and the longest I saw for my diameter was only like 5.4" long.
I had completely forgotten that I had downloaded their catalog previously; took a look there and am golden.
I gotta get a lathe if I'm gonna do much of this stuff.

Thanks again,
Greg

Originally posted by 11Bravo
I gotta get a lathe if I'm gonna do much of this stuff.

A steady workbench and a steady vice, and a variable speed electric drill with a trigger lock, and you'd be in business. I'd be doing my own except my wife's drill (she's the power tool owner in the family) doesn't have a trigger lock. I tried asking her if she'd hold the trigger for me, but I just got That Look, like I'd asked her to move the floor back and forth while I hold the broom still.

DynaSoar,

Use a tie wrap on the trigger and a power strip for the on/off.

sandman

Forecheck is that correct?

15lb contest balsa?.....it's no doubt, some manufactures like to throw the "contest balsa " name on anything, but I always thought true contest balsa is typically <6 lbs...
(but I've never seen a chart to be positive about that)

the same issue seems to happen alot with "aircraft" ply
as in "I got some aircraft ply from hobby lobby"

sorry for straying off topic, just asking

Originally posted by stymye
Forecheck is that correct?

15lb contest balsa?.....it's no doubt, some manufactures like to throw the "contest balsa " name on anything, but I always thought true contest balsa is typically <6 lbs...
(but I've never seen a chart to be positive about that)

the same issue seems to happen alot with "aircraft" ply
as in "I got some aircraft ply from hobby lobby"

sorry for straying off topic, just asking

I just double checked and I was wrong - the "contest balsa" is listed as 8lb., and the 15lb balsa is simply called "hard."

And this is simply off of the semi-custom nose cone price chart from BMS. I'm no expert on grading balsa.

nor am I ,,but I have a strange desire to add things to my
"personel fountain of useless information database"

I'm sure most any balsa would do just fine, thanks for clarifing Forecheck

Back