Need launch pad for medium power rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewB

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a launch pad for my rocket I do not have a lot of money and do not know what launch pads go for but try to make it as cheap as possible I spent all my money on other things for the rocket. specs are: Length about 6 feet Diameter 4 Inches.

Hey Brian, make one. The little one holds 1/8" , 3/32" and 1/4" rods along with a maker beam. The big one takes 1010 rails.

Attachments

• pads 001.JPG
    pads 001.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 144
  • pads 002.JPG
    pads 002.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 140
Hey Brian, make one. The little one holds 1/8" , 3/32" and 1/4" rods along with a maker beam. The big one takes 1010 rails.
Where can I get the parts, Ace Hardware? and how much total? I am aiming to make the launch pad only 30$-35$

Ace, Home Depot, Menards all carry the aluminum stock. I just used what I had laying around to make these. Maybe you might have some thing hiding in the basement you could use also. Could probably build a nice MPR pad out of PVC pipe. Even some large wooden dowels might work. Then you would only need to buy something to use as the deflector.

I built a launch pad out of 2" ABS pipe from Lowe's Depot. The rail/rod goes through a T. The top two bars of the T turn 45 degrees away from the other leg. The legs have threaded fittings so that it all breaks down and stores well. At the end of each leg, a short radius elbow and pipe cap. You might want to fish a wood block into the T to support the ABS. I also put a few layers of a plastic cutting board from the thrift store right under the rod to keep it from bouncing on launch. A 1/4" bolt through the whole shooting match taps into the bottom of a 1010 rail.

I think you could get everything except possibly the rail for $30. Let me know if you need pictures or anything.

I built a launch pad out of 2" ABS pipe from Lowe's Depot. The rail/rod goes through a T. The top two bars of the T turn 45 degrees away from the other leg. The legs have threaded fittings so that it all breaks down and stores well. At the end of each leg, a short radius elbow and pipe cap. You might want to fish a wood block into the T to support the ABS. I also put a few layers of a plastic cutting board from the thrift store right under the rod to keep it from bouncing on launch. A 1/4" bolt through the whole shooting match taps into the bottom of a 1010 rail.

I think you could get everything except possibly the rail for $30. Let me know if you need pictures or anything.
Is their any links you recommend for a launch pad I can buy online?

Ace, Home Depot, Menards all carry the aluminum stock. I just used what I had laying around to make these. Maybe you might have some thing hiding in the basement you could use also. Could probably build a nice MPR pad out of PVC pipe. Even some large wooden dowels might work. Then you would only need to buy something to use as the deflector.
Do you know of any links to a launch pad I can b y for kinda cheap...

I purchased some "Fade to Black Rocket Works" pads for TARC-use a few years back. I really liked them. I think they still have a Facebook page.

Attachments

• TARC Launch Pad.jpg
    TARC Launch Pad.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 58
Jab a piece of 1/4" or 1/2" rod in the ground? Maybe some masking tape around the lower portion so that you can elevate your rocket. Tin sheet with a hole drilled in it for a blast plate if you don't want to scorch the grass.

My model rocket has landing legs so I thinking jabbing a pole in the ground and maybe it standing on the legs and on rail guids? if that makes sense

Hey, Nice one but can it hold a 6 foot rocket

The weight and motor size are more important- it would certainly handle something like the Mean Machine on a D or E motor. If you're going G or bigger motors and 4 inch diameter, you would probably want something a bit sturdier. If you use the 1/4" rod, you could do lighter weight G on it. Rails are better for heavy rockets...

The weight and motor size are more important- it would certainly handle something like the Mean Machine on a D or E motor. If you're going G or bigger motors and 4 inch diameter, you would probably want something a bit sturdier. If you use the 1/4" rod, you could do lighter weight G on it. Rails are better for heavy rockets...
im using two G40 motors Would it hold that maybe?

That pad and rod can handle mid-power, up to a G, I would not recommend it for anything more. Clustered G is probably too much for a 1/4" rod, they can whip. I would say it's hard to go cheap and be safe, your best bet would be something you can make- just upsize it appropriately.

That pad and rod can handle mid-power, up to a G, I would not recommend it for anything more. Clustered G is probably too much for a 1/4" rod, they can whip. I would say it's hard to go cheap and be safe, your best bet would be something you can make- just upsize it appropriately.
Im scared it will break And ruin my whole rocket. I guess I can make something

Would I use rail guides on my rocket with this launch pad? I can do that just asking. and also I think I will build this one im sure it can handle a little more than 160 Newtons
It will, you will need the Rail section and rail buttons or guides to use it. The rail is likely the biggest expense, especially if you need it shipped.

If you go with 1010 rail, get it from the manufacturer, or find a length of it on Amazon. Some rocketry retailers 3x or 4x the price of the rail, which is silly when the people who make them will ship in fiddling small amounts. You don't have to buy in bulk. IIRC, they sell it by the inch.
You can get a 6-8 foot rail for less than 30-40 bucks, possibly much less, but I haven't shopped their page in a while. Do a google search for "1010 extruded aluminum" and see what pops up, or add the word "rail" as well. In short, don't pay $80 for a launch rail, shop around.

I've seen rods pull out of the ground and impale near people. Not a good choice.
They didn't "jab" it hard enough, lol. You need to use a slide hammer and get a good foot and a half or two feet of it burried. Removal may require a shovel. I have a 3/4 rod that I use for grounding at my house, it isn't much more than 2 feet deep but I promise that 200 pounds plus of force isn't going to get that little booger to budge. Perhaps jab was the wrong word to use on my part.
Best with something at least 1/2" as 1/4" is too flimsy and would probably bend before you got it down far enough. As you said though, this isn't the best option. Just wanted to qualify my remark as it was late and I may have been a bit too witty with the response. I apologize for that.

Sorry for derailing this discussion and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm trying to make sure no one gets in trouble here - The G40 motor has 97 N-s of total impulse, and two of those makes 194 N-s of total impulse, pushing it into the H-motor range, meaning this is a high power rocket and you need a Level 1 cert. On top of that, unless there's a peculiarity in the rules that I'm not aware of, you're going to need an FAA waiver to fly it, in which case you are better off bringing this rocket to a club launch where they will have appropriate launch pads.

you are better off bringing this rocket to a club launch where they will have appropriate launch pads.
Came here to say exactly this. That is a large rocket you're flying there, and from previous postings it seems you have little experience with such rockets. Why keep piling on uncertainties? Go where there's a known-good mid/high power pad and people there to make sure everything is kosher.

Yeah, you might have to wait a while until we're all allowed to gather for a launch. Join the club (double-meaning entirely intentional).

Back