Need Input - Delta IV Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Details (Heavy & Medium) and Separating Heavy Boosters?

• Captive Heavy Boosters and detailed external parts

• Captive Heavy Boosters and colored wraps showing details

• Separating Heavy Boosters and detailed external parts

• Separating Heavy Boosters and colored wraps showing details

• Medium with detailed external parts

• Medium with colored wraps showing details

Results are only viewable after voting.
When I put the shockcord onto mine I just tied it on the normal way to have a longer harness I was a bit confused about doubling it up.When you get to the SRM and putting on the top launch lugs I believe they should be setback a bit from the top of the booster tubes not at the top like the instructions say.By the looks of the pictures on Delta IV's website it looks like the top of the SRM tube should be even with the top of the wooden dowel on the SRM mount on the main bodytube.The only other thing I noticed in my kit was the nosecone seperation rails didn't span the whole nosecone did that happen on yours too?I had to kinda overlap the second layer to cover the gap on the tip of the nosecone.
And If it flys like an estes Executioner with just an E9 in it I will probably always fly it as a cluster I don't like the way my Exec flys on an E9 the flight is never straight and it not overbuilt at all put any Aerotech E in it though and its a nice straight flight.

Last edited:
You might add a step to the instructions stating when to fill the nose cone.

I assume filling is to be done prior to installation of nose cone sep rails, so that sanding of filler won't accidentally cause the sep rails to get smoothed/sanded down.

I applied the wraps to the payload section of the airframe. The wrap may be about a mm taller than it needs to be, or i may have not cut the wrap out correctly. Either way, i cut the extra mm off.
I cannot feel where the spirals in the airframe are, but i can slightly see where the darker spiral is. Probably won't notice from 6+ feet away. I'll probably notice this much more than a casual observer, since i knew the spirals were there before the wraps were applied.
Maybe if the sticker stock was a little thicker, the darker spiral would not be visible at all.
Overall the wrap is very nice. Went on easy. The start of the wrap met up with the end of the wrap, once the wrap was completely applied to the airframe.
This wrap was a lot less trouble than priming, painting, masking, painting, removing masking only to curse when base color paint comes up with the masking tape, applying decals (and hoping the decals go on straight, hoping the decals don't tear), and then applying clear coat.

Wrap looks good too.

Bob

WOW, thanks for all these comments...

Various said:
1. You might add a step to the instructions stating when to fill the nose cone.

2. And If it flys like an estes Executioner with just an E9 in it

3. Are the SRM nosecones available from Deltav IV Rockets, JonRocket, or Semroc? I can definitely see losing 1 or all of the SRMS on a launch.

4. Some places in the instructions mentions number and units, some places just refer to numbers

1. Actually I forgot to mention, not to fill or smooth the nose cone. The real Delta IV has a ablative coating for the flight through the atmosphere and it is a rough texture.

2. I flew mine on a D12 ..No..no..no only got to 175 feet. The E9-4 with empty SRMs and a 3 oz altimeter/battery in the nose got up to 350 feet, still a tad low.

3. The SRM nose cones are non stardard conical. BMS is my supplier and I can add some on my next order and jonrocket could stock those and other spares as others are recommended.

4. Everything is in inches.

Thanks for the input, I'll update the instructions for the next batch and make sure the heavy instructions are better too.

-Carl-

Last edited:
Definitely put in the instructions not to sand nose cone. I never thought of intentionally not filling the nose cone.

Bob

Last edited:
I decided to do a high wind launch this morning. The winds were over 10 possibly 15 mph.

Results:

1. Plus >> During pre-launch the SRM's stayed on the vehicle using the launch mount as the wind rotated the rocket a bit.

2. Plus >> Ascent was fairly straight with no noticable weathercock.

3. Plus >> Main Rocket recovery was nominal, no damage.

4. Neutral >> Altimeter did not record launch data?????? Estimated 500 foot altitude.

5. Minus >> One SRM did not ignite at launch, but it did as the rest of the stack was about 5 feet up the launch rod. The SRM just looped at the pad, max altitude about 3 feet.

6. Plus >> The remaining 3 SRMs separated approx 100 feet altitude and tumble recovery.

7. Neutral >> SRM #1 lost all 3 launch lug material, found two attached to the main rocket, suspect the thrust lodged them somehow. Recommend to rough up the launch lug material before epoxy.

Last edited:
The only other thing I noticed in my kit was the nosecone seperation rails didn't span the whole nosecone did that happen on yours too?.

Thanks for the heads up.

I haven't cut the nosecone seperation rails out yet, but it appears they may fall a little short on my kit as well. I think i can cut them a little longer, and then place the extra unprinted portion at the tip of the nosecone. Since the tip of the nosecone gets painted anyways, i won't need any printing in that portion of the extended rail.

Bob

I decided to do a high wind launch this morning. The winds were over 10 possibly 15 mph.

Results:

1. Plus >> During pre-launch the SRM's stayed on the vehicle using the launch mount as the wind rotated the rocket a bit.

2. Plus >> Ascent was fairly straight with no noticable weathercock.

3. Plus >> Main Rocket recovery was nominal, no damage.

4. Neutral >> Altimeter did not record launch data?????? Estimated 500 foot altitude.

5. Minus >> One SRM did not ignite at launch, but it did as the rest of the stack was about 5 feet up the launch rod. The SRM just looped at the pad, max altitude about 3 feet.

6. Plus >> The remaining 3 SRMs separated approx 100 feet altitude and tumble recovery.

7. Neutral >> SRM #1 lost all 3 launch lug material, found two attached to the main rocket, suspect the thrust lodged them somehow. Recommend to rough up the launch lug material before epoxy.

Appreciate this.

Bob

Tailcone is on, but still need to add 3 nozzles/outlets and then paint. I found it easier to glue the forward part of the exhaust extension wrap (T5) to the main airframe first, and then work my way back to the exhaust panel (T2).

Bob

Flew it again, this time the winds were about 5 MPH slower.

All 4 SRM's ignited and the boosters separated approx 150 feet. All 4 motors ejected from the SRMs. I did not vent them. Venting will be done on the next flight. Two of the forward mounts were bent up, suspect the ejection of the motors caused the stress on the mounts.

The 4 SRMS recovered about 15 feet from the Pad, the core flew up to 735 feet as measured on my altimeter. The core landed 43 seconds after launch.

Photos/Video can be viewed on my website: https://www.delta-iv-rockets.com/index.php?view=flight&rocket_id=12&flight_number=4

Plans is to add vent hole(s) near the forward end of the SRMs and fly again next weekend.

P1060291-sm.jpg

P1060290-sm.jpg

Launch Sequence.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I think I might pop some vent holes into the SRM's so they don't pop out the spent motor cases just to be on the safe side.

Page 4 and 5 (Payload Assembly) reads like i should paint the nose cone after gluing on the nose cone sep rails. I believe the nose cone should be painted first, or the nose cone sep rails should be masked off prior to painting.

Bob

Page 4 and 5 (Payload Assembly) reads like i should paint the nose cone after gluing on the nose cone sep rails. I believe the nose cone should be painted first, or the nose cone sep rails should be masked off prior to painting.

Bob

Yeah, you're right, I will move the painting step prior to applying the rails on the nose cone, that way it is easier not to paint over the sep rails.

Thanks,
-Carl-

Added Note: Due to very high winds today (25 gusts to 35), I was not able to do another test flight with the vented SRM's. Winds don't look good for tomorrow either.

Last edited:
Added Note: Due to very high winds today (25 gusts to 35), I was not able to do another test flight with the vented SRM's. Winds don't look good for tomorrow either.

I will swap you wind for our rain and mud... I hate mud.

Not much more progress, due to a launch on the 6th and TorcFest coming up this weekend.

Did sand the filling off the main airframe nosecone and painted the main airframe nosecone and tailcone white over the weekend. Eventually i'll paint the tip black, then apply the nosecone sep rails, then paint the nosecone tip sep rails silver.

Should i fill the SRM nosecones? I currently assume i should.

Bob

Not much more progress, due to a launch on the 6th and TorcFest coming up this weekend.

Did sand the filling off the main airframe nosecone and painted the main airframe nosecone and tailcone white over the weekend. Eventually i'll paint the tip black, then apply the nosecone sep rails, then paint the nosecone tip sep rails silver.

Bob

The SRM Nose Cones don't have the ablative coatings like the Fairing nose, so yes they can be smooth.

You can use a small paint brush and paint the fairing nose going heavy and dabbing it a bit to get a real close texture like the real thing.

A beautiful day here in Central Florida... So I took advantage and made a couple of flights in Palm Bay.

Medium 5+4 Flight # 5:

Best flight to date, straight up, all 4 vented SRM's separated approx 200 feet. The motors still ejected even though I had a 3/16 hole drilled in the upper portion of the SRM tubes (made the holes where they were towards the other SRM, to hide them). Tumbled recovery of the SRM.s and chute recovery of the core. Altimeter barked out 813 feet and there was no damage at all.

Heavy Flight # 1:

Takeoff was beautiful, however the R/H Booster separated early about 50 feet up, but flew a normal high balistic trajectory with normal chute deployment and recovery. The other booster separated normally at thurst cutoff and recovered normally. The core flew up to approx 500 feet (no altimeter in this flight) and deployed the chute slightly after apogee. The core landed on the asphalt road and caused one fin to pop off the motor tube and slid into another fin causing some damage to the BT at the fin area. Damage can be fixed fairly easily.

Flight conditions were Clear Skies, 70 Degrees and a slight wind <5 MPH out of the South.

DIV 5+4 Flight 5 On-Pad-b.jpg

DIV 5+4 Flight 5 On-Pad-a.jpg

DIV HVY Flight 1 On-Pad-a.jpg

DIV HVY Flight 1 On-Pad-b.jpg

DIV HVY Flight 1 Recovery-a.jpg

Last edited:
On the Heavy Flight, the video shows the R?H booster ignited a fraction of a second late and was on a separate flight path from the get-go. I had used thread to hold on the strap-ons to the core which was routed thru the engine nozzle?? This should had kept it together until it ignited. My thoughts are that either the thread failed which I doubt since the thread showed that it had burned or that the motor was just slow coming up to thrust. As the video showed it flew a pretty nice flight even though it only had two fins on one side of the rocket.

DIV HVY Flight 1 Launch Sequence.jpg

DIV 5+4 Flight 5 Launch Sequence.jpg

I hope more of your Deltas are available soon....I REALLY want one of those !!

Beautiful kit !

Paul

I am wrapping up the Heavy version, will have 10 initially. Still need to get more Medium parts for the next run.

Visit Jonrocket.com in the next couple of days for all interested.

I am wrapping up the Heavy version, will have 10 initially. Still need to get more Medium parts for the next run.

Visit Jonrocket.com in the next couple of days for all interested.

OH....I`ll be watching ! Thanks for the heads up !

Paul

Just ordered your Heavy from JonRocket ,pretty stoked about the kit ! Now I need the other for my collection.

Thanks

Paul

We have the Delta IV Heavy kits in stock now:

https://www.jonrocket.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_38_79&products_id=408

We've also added many new items to our catalog. Shipping is free (in the US) for orders over $40, so, if you order the Delta IV Heavy please look around and see what else you might want. :)

-- Roger

I ordered the kit with your help, thanks again for the unbelieveable coustomer service, I just hope my card just doesn't act stupid next tine :) and do you send a confirmation email to tell us that our order has been shiped?

I ordered the kit with your help, thanks again for the unbelieveable coustomer service, I just hope my card just doesn't act stupid next tine :) and do you send a confirmation email to tell us that our order has been shiped?

12 y.o. with a credit card? or is it your dads?

Ben

ScrapDaddy,

I don't think you should feel the need to explain your "card purchase" (whether gift card or credit card) to anyone. Frankly, it is none of their business.

Bob

After 3 months, i finally put some more time into the rocket. Got the seperation rails on nose cone, tip of nose cone painted, and nose cone sep rails painted silver. I masked off the sep rails before painting the nose tip black. I little bit of one of the sep rails peeled away when unmasking. Might have helped if i had clear coated the entire nose cone prior to masking.

Bob

Back