Need Input - Delta IV Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Details (Heavy & Medium) and Separating Heavy Boosters?

• Captive Heavy Boosters and detailed external parts

• Captive Heavy Boosters and colored wraps showing details

• Separating Heavy Boosters and detailed external parts

• Separating Heavy Boosters and colored wraps showing details

• Medium with detailed external parts

• Medium with colored wraps showing details

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Delta IV Medium 5+4 configuration is ready. I have PM'd those who showed interest. www.Jonrocket.com will be providing the vending service.

I only have 5 available initially. Feedback will be greatly appreciated.

The Heavy version should be available around the first week in March, I will have 10 available initially.

I have started to upload my own build photos on my website www.delta-iv-rockets.com/index.php?view=rocket&rocket_id=12 and will complete by this Friday.

A FAQ is being developed and those who purchase the kit or others interested can submit questions on the site: www.delta-iv-rockets.com/index.php?view=rocket_list&type=kit.

The kit does contain the materials to add on the optional external LOX line, tunnel covers detail and parts for the SRMs to separate in flight.

Kit With Parts.jpg

Last edited:
Do you know if they ship to Canada? I sent an email about a week ago and got no reply.
Thanks
fred

Will they be listed on the site or do we have to email them to order?

I emailed Johnrocket after a PM from Delta IV and got a reply that they would let me know when they are available.

Do you know if they ship to Canada? I sent an email about a week ago and got no reply.
Thanks
fred

I apologize if we missed your email. Our website is not set up to take orders from Canada yet, but we'll work it out so that you can place an order for the Delta kit.

-- Roger
jonrocket.com

Last edited:
Will they be listed on the site or do we have to email them to order?

They will be available for order from our site.

There will be a limited number of the kits available at first, but, if they sell out, we'll put Carl right to work making some more. So, please don't be too disappointed if you miss out on one of the first batch. There will be more.

-- Roger

Thanks Roger I have heard noÞhing but good things àbout your company:) Could youi please PM a price incuding shipping for Canada. I can send you a postal code if you like:) Also I will pay extra for shipping to get a tracking number and I understand delivery times up here can be long:) This kit looks outstanding. And I thank you for offerring it here:)
Cheers
Fred

I'm interested in both of these kits. Keep us updated as to their availability.

Bob

I will be on vacation until Feb 21, so if anyone has any questions regarding the kits and any issues in the build process I'll answer them as soon as possible after me and the missus return home. We'll be out of the country and will only have limited internet access.

Thanks,
-Delta-IV-

Edit: 2/12/10 I have completed the Medium Kit Build photo uploads on my website: https://www.delta-iv-rockets.com/index.php?view=rocket&rocket_id=12

Last edited:
Carl Campbell's Delta IV Medium kit is now available from JonRocket.com.

We have only one kit left at this time. Please don't be disappointed if it sells before you get a chance to buy it. Carl has promised to produce more of the kits to meet demand.

The price of the kit is $89.99.

We would like to explain why we have had to charge a little more than the estimated price Carl mentioned to some of you.

The main reason is the cost of shipping. JonRocket.com offers free shipping (in the US) on orders over $40. Obviously, any order which includes the Delta IV will ship for free. Therefore, the cost of the kit includes the cost for shipping. Other vendors would have added a separate $12 to $15 shipping charge.

The kit includes quality parts including a custom balsa nose cone, pre-cut clear fins, and other parts which are hand-crafted. Carl has also supplied detailed wraps and extensive photo-illustrated instructions. With all this time invested in creating each kit, we have priced the kit so that Carl receives a little more from each sale than he would have based on his earlier estimated price.

To help offset the higher price, we'll send a $10 JonRocket.com gift certificate to each person who orders a Delta IV kit before April 1, 2010. This gift certificate will be good for $10 off any future order from JonRocket.com.

Our web site is now able to accept orders from outside the US. The "free shipping" offer, of course, is not available for out-of-country orders. The shipping charges for international orders seem high even to us, but they reflect our actual cost to ship outside the US.

As you can see on Carl's site, the Delta IV is a challenging kit to build - sort of a "Dr. Zooch kit on steroids." Even though Carl has provided extensive instructions with the kit, you will probably have some questions. Carl will be away from his computer until February 21, but will be available after that to answer any questions. You'll find him hanging out ... here.

Thank you for your interest in the Delta IV kit.

-- Roger

And then there were none .... :)

The first-run of the kits has sold out.

-- Roger

Got my Delta IV Medium today packed very nicely.The instructions are very well laid out but you need to read and reread them a couple times before building to get a feel for what goes where on the tailcone and the wraps.I am going to reread them a few more times when I get home from work tonight before starting construction.

Just as a bit of an aside here for fun- I found a way to simulate the look of the orange foam areas and put it on a wrap- (this is likely how everyone else is doing it too because the look I got was very similar to the cardstock models.) First I took a hi-rez shot, side-on, of a shuttle ET and then using some photo software I selected and cut a thin vertical band from that photo. Then I used the grab-bars in the software to pull and stretch the image width-wise. Stretched out it looks just like the Delta foam areas. print it onto some cardstock and bingo... Delta tankage!

Got my Delta IV Medium today packed very nicely.The instructions are very well laid out but you need to read and reread them a couple times before building to get a feel for what goes where on the tailcone and the wraps.I am going to reread them a few more times when I get home from work tonight before starting construction.

Back from a great trip to Egypt, the pryamids are awesome, although many many people there will offer you help...but at a price!!

Yes, the tail cone and applying the wraps are most difficult thing to do. Please give me a shout here or using a PM or going to my website and submitting a question.

Thanks,

Any suggestions, comments, or crtiques will be greatly appreciated...the Heavy will now get my full attention, then more medium kits.

Received my kit on Friday. Everything looks good.

1 question: the instructions refer to gluing in the SRM nosecones. Does that mean the 18mm motors should be ejected from the SRM's after burnout?

The color photos in the instructions are a nice touch.

Let us know when Heavy is available.

Received my kit on Friday. Everything looks good.

1 question: the instructions refer to gluing in the SRM nosecones. Does that mean the 18mm motors should be ejected from the SRM's after burnout?

I based this on using B6-0 motors with tumble recovery. I know there may be some pressure inside the tube, a small relief hole may be a good thing to do just in case.

Thanks,
-Carl-

Started the build. I'm currently working on the main motor mount. So far all parts have been a great fit. Steps in the instructions could use numbers.

Couple questions:
1) It has occurred to me that if i launch as cluster, and the central motor doesn't light, the rocket will likely recover in an ugly way. Anyone have any ideas (short of electronics) to ensure the central motor lights before the rocket leaves the pad?

2) If i do not fill the spirals in the main airframe, than apply the wraps to the main airframe, will the main airframe spirals show through the wraps?

Bob

have been a great fit. Steps in the instructions could use numbers.

Couple questions:
1) It has occurred to me that if i launch as cluster, and the central motor doesn't light, the rocket will likely recover in an ugly way. Anyone have any ideas (short of electronics) to ensure the central motor lights before the rocket leaves the pad?

Bob

Thanks, I can add numbers very easily.

Can't help on the cluster question 100%, the central motor is primary. I usually have it as a stand-a-lone and then use a different circuit and tie all of the SRMs together. If a SRM doesn't fire it just stays on the ground.

But it is very important to take the extra time making sure the igniters are installed with no shorts, etc..

Another good tip on the cluster ignition would be to use the Quest Q2G2 igniters they should get all the motors going at once.I haven't used them to cluster yet I have only used estes igniters at this point but I use a relay launcher with a 12 volt battery right next to the launch pad I have had only 1 or 2 motors that have never lit when clustering with the estes igniters out of about 10 or 12 cluster flight with the most motors being lit being 5 a D-12 and 4 b6-4's in my APC Parallel Staged rocket.When clustering you need good igniters and a reliable launcher to get them all lit so it really is a two prong approach I wouldn't try it on anything less then 12 volts although the Q2G2's do need very little power to ignite.

Yeah, i am thinking of getting a bundle of the Q2G2 for Semroc Saturn IB i might fly again and for this rocket. I have a 12 volt relay controller where i will likely launch this rocket. Continuity checks on each igniter are a must as well.
Here is a pad view of the Saturn IB:
[youtube]WBdhigVYUCY[/youtube]

If a SRM doesn't fire it just stays on the ground.

Unlit SRMs staying on the pad sounds like a good thing. If unlit SRMs did go up with the rocket and the central motor didn't light, the rocket probably won't get high enough for the 4 second delay of the Estes E9-4 and proper recovery.

Bob

I'm at the step where the shock chord is mounted to the forward centering ring. The instructions make it sound like i should double up the shock chord between the forward centering ring and payload bulkhead. Is that correct? If this is correct, does that add additional chance of the recovery system getting tangled?

Currently i'm assuming a narrower doubled-up shock chord is provided to easily fit through the light weight small eyelet installed on the forward centering ring.

Bob

Some thoughts so far:

Centering rings are nice wood but light weight. Like this better than Estes cardboard centering rings.

Shock chord mount is not Estes style, which is a positive in my opinion. I've seen Estes mounts rip out on occasion.

Parachute is very nice. My parachute is purple. Probably easier to spot than yellow or orange in wheat/corn stubble, probably easier to spot than green in grass or green crops.

Metal clip for motor retention. It appears a significant amount of the motor mount protrudes from the boattail, so motor retention should be easily enhanced with some masking tape.

So far i have not had to do any sanding to get parts to fit together. No parts are too loose when assembled.

Stuffer tube mixed with payload bulkhead, results in a small amount of airframe for the ejection charge to fill. Still plenty of room for recovery harness, wadding, and parachute. The long stuffer tube is a great enhancement when flying Estes 24mm motors. When i fly my same diameter Estes Executioner on E9's i have had problems with the Executioners shorter stuffer tube and not enough ejection charge. I think the longer stuffer tube helps keep the recovery equipment mass forward of center of pressure.

Motor tube is more Estes style thickness than LOC style thickness. Fine by me, as it helps keep the weight down, and i am trying to build lightly. If someone is flying this rocket on a single Estes E9, you need to keep the rocket as light as possible. Think an Estes Executioner with draggy srms added to it. A single Estes E9 is going to be a low altitude flight, and any extra weight would likely be a bad thing.

Some places in the instructions mentions number and units, some places just refer to numbers. I think everything is in inches, so not too tough to figure out what units to measure in.

Bob

Last edited:
I used wood glue when gluing the motor mount into the airframe. I should have known better. Wood glue seizes really quick. I normally use epoxy for gluing in motor mounts. I ended up with the motor clip 15 degrees out of place, so i'll have to work around that when adding the tailcone and the exhaust extension piece.

You might change the instructions to say use slow setting glue (ie: epoxy) for the gluing of motor mount into main airframe step.

Bob

Last edited:
Are the SRM nosecones available from Deltav IV Rockets, JonRocket, or Semroc? I can definitely see losing 1 or all of the SRMS on a launch.

Bob

Last edited:
Removable fins would be one improvement that would be nice to see. Apogee Components Saturn V has removable friction fit fins, and maybe something similar could be done with this rocket or the Heavy. Of course, it may be that the fairings on the Sat V make the removable friction fit fins less likely to fall out.

I actually meant to foam the fincan, so i could scrape out a slot for each fin, then attempt to friction fit the fins into the fincan, so that the fins would be removable for display purposes. Forgot to do the foaming before i glued in the motor mount though, so its a little too late for that now. Maybe i will remember that when i get ahold of a Heavy.

Bob

Last edited:
Back