Need ideas for a rocket name.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just built a PML intruder, stretched by ~24 inches thanks to an added fuselage from a Madcow Scooter. The final design is almost 7 feet tall, making it the first rocket I have ever built that’s too big to fit through a door vertically. Only problem is, I have no idea what to name it, or what kind of paint scheme to use. I want something that conveys kind of a “stealth/fast/hi-tech” kind of feel, if you know what I mean. Any suggestions?

P.s. The name Rockety McRocketface or similar will be ignored.

My tradition is to fly the maiden without paint or primer, and call it “Naked and Afraid”

After the launch, it’s earned a paint job, and I kinda have a feel for how it handles, so finding a name is a lot easier.

I think I’m up to Naked and Afraid VII, or something.

4FN-XL
flying toothpick
Thor's toothpick
Too Tall
Too Long
J. Avelin (Assuming a few J motors will power it..)
J-Post
Outbound
Upwardly Mobile..

I'd name it "Long Tall Sally" but only if she's got everything that Uncle John needs, oh baby!

Bob. I always tell at least one kid at a build and fly our club does to name their rocket Bob when they say they don't know what to name their new rocket. I'm 0 for 9 or 10 I think. I have come close a couple of times, but they changed it at the last minute.

I'd say don't name it until it survives a flight. IF it survives, name it based on its flight characteristics. Ex. "Corkscrew Express", "Landshark", "Failed Lawn Dart VII", "Chemtrail", or whatever seems fitting. If you do name it first, use the boat naming conventions.

I was gonna go with "Too Tall," but then I thought, how about "Ed Jones" instead? Only the elite would get it.

You could name it in tribute to a deceased friend of mine who 6'7". His nickname was the Empire State Person. How about "The Empire State Rocket?"

I would say a rocket does not need a name just to be contrary[emoji48]

I don't think this is contrarian. It is conventional. A rocket is not a boat. The design has a name, but individual rockets don't get named. The LCO is going to announce it as "A <rocket name>" rather than "The <rocket name>". Its a PML Intruder EF (extended frame) or a PML Intruder 82 or a PML Intruder 208

You could paint it dark silver and name it Pewter Scooter. But when the LCO announces it over the PA system it might sound like Pooper Scooper.

You could add a number, like on a race car, maybe use 24, in a circle, like on Herbie or Speed Racer’s Mach 5, or in a NASCAR style, you know? Or cartoon style like Lightning McQueen.

Oh this is amazing.

I did another round using my actual name and one of the options was "In Cold Blood".... where did that come from?

upload_2018-6-28_10-34-50.png

I like using Rob Zombie song titles as names for rockets. Just the titles from one album:
Knuckle Duster
Thunder Kiss '65
Black Sunshine
Soul Crusher
Cosmic Monster
Spiderbaby (Yeah-Yeah-Yeah)
I Am Legend
Thrust!
One Big Crunch
Grindhouse (A Go-Go)
Starface
Warp Asylum