Need Help with Payloader II Details

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowspawn

Reaction score
I realize it was a Centuri kit first, then Estes came out with it later with a different body tube size. What I need are the dimensions of the fin parts; I suspect that the fin dimensions probably didn't change (much, if any). I'm trying to build a clone of it and these measurements have proven elusive so far. As well, if anyone would happen to have a handy list of substitution parts for a scratch-build, that would be sweet. Any help would be appreciated.

Shadowspawn

If there's anyone on here who might have a Payloader ll in kit form or know where I might be able to find one, I would really appreciate it if you could let me know.It was my first kit way back in 1969 and it holds a great deal of sentimental value for me.Can anyone kelp me out here?

If there's anyone on here who might have a Payloader ll in kit form or know where I might be able to find one, I would really appreciate it if you could let me know.It was my first kit way back in 1969 and it holds a great deal of sentimental value for me.Can anyone kelp me out here?
According to my spreadsheet I have three of the Estes reissue kit from ~10 years ago.

Added: I should have said...if you want one, drop me a PM ("start a conversation") and we can work something out. I have far more kits than I'll ever build, and I still buy them.... :eek:

Last edited:
There are a couple of the re-issue kits up for sale on eBay; it appears that they are being shipped from China, but, hey, it’s the kit you’re looking for so… get on there and hook yourself up.

I realize it was a Centuri kit first, then Estes came out with it later with a different body tube size. What I need are the dimensions of the fin parts; I suspect that the fin dimensions probably didn't change (much, if any). I'm trying to build a clone of it and these measurements have proven elusive so far. As well, if anyone would happen to have a handy list of substitution parts for a scratch-build, that would be sweet. Any help would be appreciated.

Shadowspawn
I've been trying to find an original for over forty years now, it was my first rocket way back in 69 when I was 8 years old.JimZ has the plans and templates on his web site but the problem is that I can't print out the full size patterns from my phone and I don't have a computer to down load them to ,I would just print everything up if I could.So i'm just gonna keep holding out for an original.I do have a lead on one but don't know if it's gonna pan out so I'm just hoping for the best.

I've been trying to find an original for over forty years now, it was my first rocket way back in 69 when I was 8 years old.JimZ has the plans and templates on his web site but the problem is that I can't print out the full size patterns from my phone and I don't have a computer to down load them to ,I would just print everything up if I could.So i'm just gonna keep holding out for an original.I do have a lead on one but don't know if it's gonna pan out so I'm just hoping for the best.
IMG_8854.JPG
Is this what you are looking for? I can measure the two pieces that make up a fin and send you the dimensions, if that's what you need. It's from a 1971 Centuri Rocketeer's Outfit (http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri71d/71dcen10.html) that got me fun bore into model rocketry at the time.

View attachment 560487
Is this what you are looking for? I can measure the two pieces that make up a fin and send you the dimensions, if that's what you need. It's from a 1971 Centuri Rocketeer's Outfit (http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri71d/71dcen10.html) that got me fun bore into model rocketry at the time.
Yes it certainly is, I can probably get the parts from eRockets but I don't know about the clear plastic tubing or the original cone. So yes please send me the dimensions.I'll give you both my email address and home address. [email protected]. George Skaff. 101North Main st. Pittston, Pa. 18640. 570-921- 1285

Fin dimensions as follows as seen from upright rocket:

Body tube piece:
2 5/8" tall
1 5/8" wide
Top bevel 0 to 1 1/4" @ 1 3/8"
Bottom bevel (up from bottom) 0 to 1 1/4" @ 3/8"

External fin piece (glued to BT piece):
1 3/4" x 1 3/4"
Bevel outer edge 3/4" down to 1 1/2" at bottom

These are all approximate as an 12 yr old had access to a piece of sandpaper :)

Fin dimensions as follows as seen from upright rocket:

Body tube piece:
2 5/8" tall
1 5/8" wide
Top bevel 0 to 1 1/4" @ 1 3/8"
Bottom bevel (up from bottom) 0 to 1 1/4" @ 3/8"

External fin piece (glued to BT piece):
1 3/4" x 1 3/4"
Bevel outer edge 3/4" down to 1 1/2" at bottom

These are all approximate as an 12 yr old had access to a piece of sandpaper :)
you could always use my Centuri Payloader II .ork file if you wanted...

1675311400485.png

you could always use my Centuri Payloader II .ork file if you wanted

Shadowspawn
Well, it took me long enough but I found an original Payloader 2. Someone out on the West Coast has one and he's selling it to me for a really great price.Now for that Quasar...

The early Centuri Payloader had a "Pumpkin" color with black roll pattern> I have the name of the "pumpkin" color in my notes.
Let me look it up

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/73cen022.html
Here is my 4 inch version ork image

View attachment 562218
I did my original in red, white and blue, way back in 69.I saw one in those colors and it looked perfect so I followed suit.Had it for a long time, until it finally fell apart from being flown so much.It was my first so i've always had a soft spot for it.I was 8 years old back in 69.Flash forward some fifty years later, and I'm gonna have one again.I think thats kinda cool.

Back