Need help with Estes Optima data

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderburner

Reaction score
I am looking for a little help with identifying the geometry of the Estes Optima kit (Est # 2035). Hopefully, one of you folks out there has one of these (still more-or-less in original condition) and could make a few quick measurements.

I did some digging to identify the kit components, and apparently the NC is the Estes PNC-80K? If so, it should have an exposed length of some8.2 inches.

According to the kit instructions posted at JimZ's site
https://www.dars.org/JimZ/est2035.htm
page 2 of the Estes instructions say that the BT by itself is 39 and 3/8 inches long (11 inches for the forward BT + 14 & 3/16 for the middle BT + another 14 & 3/16 for the rear BT). If that is true, the total length of the rocket with NC is over 47 inches. (And this doesn't count the motor case sticking out 1/2 inch, or the Estes motor clip sticking back even further.)

The problem? Other online sources say this rocket is 43 inches long, 4 inches shorter.

I tried to use the rocsim data posted on EMRR but I am not a rocsim user and I can't make any sense of what is posted there. Can anyone out there just put a tape measure next to their rocket and confirm any of these measurements one way or the other? Do we know what PNC was used for this kit? Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Mine is about 47 1/2" tall. I changed the motor mount to a 3 24mm cluster but I'm sure I didn't change the tube lengths.

That confirms what I thought the correct length should be.

Thanks for the help!

Back