Need Help with Cloning the Centuri Nomad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosko_racer

Reaction score
Fellas:

I have been looking and trying to find the right fin / vane templates for the Centuri Nomad. I downloaded the files from JIMZ but I cannot get them to print right. Does anyone have one and could provide the correct dimentions? Or even better, anyone has a rocksim file of it? Thanks.

- R_R

kb-5@.gif

Last edited:
Raul,

I'll have the decals ready long before the paint drys.;)

Last edited:
Raul,

I'll have the decals ready long berfore the paint drys.;)

Thanks Sandman! Let me know when they are ready and how much. I will use PayPal for payment.

Looked around for a Rocksim file of the Nomad but could not find one. Using Vanel's information and PowerPoint, I recreated the fins and made a RS file using Semroc parts. Check it out and check the flight simulations using Estes and Quest engines.

Attachments

• OOP_Centuri_Nomad.zip
    8.5 KB · Views: 10
JIMZ website has a text file where it says that the LL are 3/8"" long. When I scale the templates the top of the LL stands are about 1/4"... Is there anyone out there with an original built Nomad that could post the correct size of the LL stands and the LLs? Thanks.

- R_R

My launch lug stands (on a clone) have root 3/8" and top 1/4", in agreement with your scaling.

Thanks Vanel for your help.

I have spent most of the day working on the Nomad clone and here is a picture of where I am right now with it. Worked on the fins, vanes, MM, and and a homemade 16" black parachute. It only needs the LL stands and the LLs. Should be done soon. Just to see if it inspires anyone else to clone one...

DSC00038.jpg

Thanks Vanel for your help.

I have spent most of the day working on the Nomad clone and here is a picture of where I am right now with it. Worked on the fins, vanes, MM, and and a homemade 16" black parachute. It only needs the LL stands and the LLs. Should be done soon. Just to see if it inspires anyone else to clone one...

Cool but...maybe I won't have the decals done on time.:eek:

Sandman: Do not worry, I can wait until you get your business up and running. Take your time. Just let me know when you have them ready.

Sandman: Do not worry, I can wait until you get your business up and running. Take your time. Just let me know when you have them ready.

I got the NOMAD decals finished!

Now what's the info on the silver stripe? Is it chrome or silver grey?

NOMAD decals.JPG

I got the NOMAD decals finished!

Now what's the info on the silver stripe? Is it chrome or silver grey?

They look so pretty!!! I'm in love!!!

The stripe is more like a chrome stripe. I have an ALPS printer that is semi-printing and I can do stripes, so it is no big deal. I can use Silver Foil to do the lines.

Check your PMs for an additional request.

BTW, the rocket has already been primed and I am waiting for a less humid day to paint it white. I am also looking forward to fly it this weekend along with another eight rockets I have ready two fly. I finished six of them last week, two are ready for decals, plus the Nomad. After these, the Centuri Mach 10 and Bulldog!!!

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

Is there anyone out there with an original built Nomad that could post the correct size of the LL stands and the LLs? Thanks.

- R_R

I still have my original Nomad that I built in the 70's. The launch lug stand is 7/16" high with the launch lug attached. The launch lugs are 3/8" long. The silver stripe is chrome and was a piece of tape. Hope this helps.

NAR29996: Thanks for the information. I just checked my Nomad clone and the LL stands with the LL on are just shy of 1/2" so they are close.

I just finished applying the first coat of Future on the Nomad. Thanks go to Vanel and to NAR29996 for verifying the root measurements. Also thanks to Gordon for the decals. These were the icing on the cake!!! :)

I printed the silver/chrome bands with my ALPS using Silver Foil... very tricky since I found out the hard way that the Liquid Decal Film reacts with the foil and lifts the foil off the decal sheet. I had to print two 7.5" L x .5" W bands with a pass of the Photo Gloss Finish. Gently applied a light coat of LDF and once dry, applied a second coat. With a sharp hobby knife I trimmed the bands to 5 1/8" L by .25" W. Used only water with 3-4 drops of liquid dishwasher soap to prep the surface and to dip the decals, which allowed plenty of time to apply and adjust the decals... I recently had bad experiences with Micro set: the decals were sticking to the paint surface to quickly.

Overall it is a fun rocket to clone... now I have to find time to fly it. Next project: a simulated Navy launch rack to display the Nomad!

Centuri Nomad Scratch Built.jpg

Back