Need help with an extension cord

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balsa Bob

Reaction score
When my brother-in-law was getting rid of his 100' extension cord I said I'd take it off his hands. He added it had some kinks, but I wasn't expecting it to be so bad. The cord works fine so I'll likely keep it, but is there any way to straighten it out? Thanks for your suggestions.

extension cord.jpg

Last edited:
I find the best way to de kink a cord is to pull it tight , spin as much out of the twists as possible , then leave it tight in the sun for a few hours .

Eric

Good advice. Getting them warm in the sun (or in the car, etc.) definitely helps to "reset" the shape of the insulation and plastic cover.

perhaps some armor-all might help in restoring flexibility to the insulation?
Rex

Another thing to try is to work on the kinks by whipping the cord up and down while un-twisting it. I have a long cord that has that problem. I'll take it out in the front yard and whip the cord up and down while turning my arm opposite of the twist in the cord. Then I'll pull the cord in and repeat the process. It sometimes takes a couple of passes but it really seems to work well. And doing it on a hot day does make it easier.

Good luck,

Tony

Back