Need help selecting motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatgeek

Reaction score
I'm finishing up this year's major project (final sand and paint this week!), so I'm starting to think about next year's project. I want to build a scale-ish Falcon Heavy with drop-off side boosters. By scale-ish, I mean that it should look like the real thing from 10-20 feet away, but doesn't need all of the pipes/landing legs/gingerbread etc. that the real deal has. Nose cone/payload shroud will be 3-D printed, so it should be sorta real-looking. Here are my constraints:

* Probably minimum diameter, although I would consider 24mm or 29mm in 38mm tubes
* Minimum tube size 24mm, maximum 38mm. I don't have space to go bigger, much as I might like to build a 98mm beast!
* I would like "real-looking" motor effects, white to orange flame, white to gray smoke. CTI white or IMax are in that range, but other choices are welcome. On the other hand, there might be a good reason to use a different motor, so I don't want to box myself in.
* Able to fly as a cluster with powered side boosters or just a powered center core
* If the side boosters are powered, they should drop off after burnout. Otherwise, they'll stay attached.
* If side boosters are powered, I would like them to burn out well before the center core.
* I have CTI cases (several 29mm 1 and 3-grain, 38mm 2, 5, and 6-grain with some spacers), so I would prefer to stick with those or go single-use.
* Usual rules for cluster safety apply--the center core has to be able to lift the whole package safely without the side boosters
* I am open to airstart side boosters or cluster ignition on the pad. I have an Eggtimer Quantum that can theoretically at least do airstarts.
* Ideally, I'd like to keep the whole shooting match below 8,000 feet for ease of recovery, tracking, and not having to go to the away cell.
* I'd like powered boosters to come off well within visual range so I don't need more trackers. I have one tracker that can be used on the core.

A couple of thoughts:
all 29mm: F59 side boosters, H87 core. I don't know if this would have enough thrust to get off the pad on the center core alone
29mm + 38mm: F59 side boosters, H110 or I175 core

What do you all think? Do you have other advice?

Kevin Trojanowski did a large rocket (delta ?) with powered, drop off boosters. He used drilled nylon screws with an ematch and black powder to release the boosters. From what I recall about the other hardware to attach the boosters you might want to go a little bigger.

Kevin Trojanowski did a large rocket (delta ?) with powered, drop off boosters. He used drilled nylon screws with an ematch and black powder to release the boosters. From what I recall about the other hardware to attach the boosters you might want to go a little bigger.

I was hoping to make the boosters small enough that they could be held up with a burn string in case of non-firing side boosters and that they could then drag separate after burnout. That is one of the many challenges to sort out going forward.

Back