Need help picking out a Scroll Saw?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello,
I am looking to buy a Scroll Saw for cutting fins out of basswood and some other simple woodworking projects. Anyone have any recommendations? I am looking to spend between $75- $175.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

just one,

try to get a variable speed model,, I didn't and ended up buying a small router speed control... because mine was just too fast for certain materials.

Actually for fins and cutting balsa block...I do cut a LOT of balsa blocks...I prefer a band saw.

A band saw is better at straight cut and for ripping long pieces of balsa like making 2x2's out of 3x3 balsa with the 1x1's left over.

Also for stack sanding ply you can't beat a stationary belt sander.

Both Delta items band saw and belt sander are arount $75 each.

The other benefit of a band saw is it's quieter than a jig saw.

sandman

Originally posted by bswan72
I am looking to buy a Scroll Saw for cutting fins out of basswood and some other simple woodworking projects. Anyone have any recommendations? I am looking to spend between $75- $175.

I bought a 16" Delta variable speed model off eBay for about $130 plus shipping. Looks like they go for even less these days:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57124&item=3826359177&rd=1

I think this sort of saw would be fine for cutting fins. I've used it to build some simple jigs out of 1" door stop lumber, and it went through that stuff without any problem.

Brian,

I picked up this Dremel from ToolKing a couple of years ago
https://www.toolking.com/shop/view.asp?id=1618
It has worked well for me so far. It is a reconditioned unit and that is why the price is so low.

I would agree that it is not the best for cutting straight lines, as it tends to wander easily. If you are looking on cutting curves, you can't beat a scroll saw.
Goose

Back