Need Help Identifying This HONEST JOHN- Boosted Sounding Rocket . . .

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there anything other than the fins that make you think Honest John? I'm pretty sure I came across a reference in the last week to a Nike with Honest John fins. We know that they seemed to whack on any fin with the right area. I also think I've seen that in certain Alway diagrams.

By the way - I did finally figure out the odd looking Terrier fins on the T-Improved Malemute and T-Orion. There's a 4.8 square foot terrier fin. I finally found a picture with enough resolution to blow up and read the manufacture's decal - complete with website.

(Yes, I'm putting it on my scale model :)

I think you are looking at a three stage rocket. Honest John-Nike-Something. Might be a Javelin or Hydac but the fins don't look quite right for either.

-Bob

By the way - I did finally figure out the odd looking Terrier fins on the T-Improved Malemute and T-Orion. There's a 4.8 square foot terrier fin. I finally found a picture with enough resolution to blow up and read the manufacture's decal - complete with website.

Congrats on locating that data . . . Can you post the pic ?

Dave F.

Not an Exos. In fact, that whole "third stage" is no simple solid rocket stage. Looks to me like an Honest John-Nike with a complex payload that may or not include a third rocket motor. I have not encountered this beast anywhere, so I can only speculate.

Not an Exos. In fact, that whole "third stage" is no simple solid rocket stage. Looks to me like an Honest John-Nike with a complex payload that may or not include a third rocket motor. I have not encountered this beast anywhere, so I can only speculate.

Thank you, Peter . . . I am searching for more info to try to identify it !

Dave F.

The mystery rocket is from the ADDPEP program circa 1965-67.
Aerodynamic Deployable Decelerator Performance Evaluation Program.

Attachments

• ADDPEP report dwg.jpg
    ADDPEP report dwg.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Vehicle A Boosters.jpg
    Vehicle A Boosters.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Vehicle A Deployment Sequence.jpg
    Vehicle A Deployment Sequence.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Vejicle A component locations.jpg
    Vejicle A component locations.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 22
Chris,

Excellent !

Is there any information on what the launch vehicle was called in this configuration ?

Charles' post about an altenative to the HONEST JOHN got me thinking.

The more I looked at that Booster, the more I started thinking "CASTOR / SERGEANT" ( without the two RECRUIT Boosters ).

Chris Timm's data shows an HONEST JOHN, and the photos I posted clearly show a tapered Fin Can. Ultimately, I believe it is an HJ Booster, but I am curious about the "CASTOR / SERGEANT", in general.

Dave F.

ram_a.jpg

wasp__1.jpg

boosted-sergeant__1.jpg

shotput_1.jpg

Shotput_launch.jpg

Last edited:
From the several reports available online the vehicles were simply named "A", "B","C", etc....
Combinations included HoJo-Nike and HoJo- (Castor) Lance.

From the several reports available online the vehicles were simply named "A", "B","C", etc....
Combinations included HoJo-Nike and HoJo- (Castor) Lance.

Chris,

Do you have links for those reports ? I'd love to get more background information about this prototype.

Thanks,

Dave F.

Google...........

AFFDL-TR-65-27 August 1965
AFFDL-TR-67-25 June 1967
AFFDL-TR-67-60 October 1967
AFFDL-TR-67-192 August 1968

Back