Need help identifying a Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhanna

Reaction score
While walking through the forest looking for my Estes Sahara, (which I found at the top of a big tree as usual), I came across a very waterlogged kit of what appears to be a D-Region Tomahawk or some variant of it. I'd like to replace the soggy tubes but not sure what vendor and what size tube. Doesn't match anything I currently have.

It has a fairly detailed plastic noes cone, the shoulder appears to be 44mm in diameter. It has an all plastic fin can assembly with decent detail on it and a 24mm motor tube that extends half way up the rocket to a plastic tube coupler. Parachute ejection occurs at the nose cone. I don't have pictures, yet but was hoping someone would recognize it from my description and get me to the right manufacturer. I need to clean it up a bit before pictures.

Any ideas?

Here they are. The nose cone is very distinctive: long with the rivet holes molded in. Fin can is beveled. Uses two ST-18 tubes, I believe. Erockets sells the tubes.
IMG_20181014_144806_310.jpg
IMG_20181014_144857_539.jpg
IMG_20181014_144956_741.jpg

BTW did you recover your Sahara?

Yep, that looks like what I found. I'll check Erockets to see if I can track down the body tubes.

No the Sahara is still at the top of the tree, some ideas about a sling-shot grappling hook have surfaced but nothing definite yet.
Thanks for your help, do you know what years the D-Region produced?

At 1.8" OD, you're going to be hard pressed to find a match (even with eRockets). To my knowledge exactly one kit used that sized body tube (made out of cardboard)... The Estes D-Region Tomahawk. The camera body of the Cineroc is also 1.8", but it's too short, and not gonna help you.

The ST-18 tube may be slightly too big, at 1.84" OD, 1.80" ID. See K'Tesh's post above. Measure and double check before ordering.

This kit was still being sold up until a couple of years ago.

I have an unbuilt Estes D-Region Tomahawk kit that is missing the little plastic nose cone tip (which is why it is unbuilt!). If you just need the body tubes, shoot me a PM. We can work something out.

Bat-Mite I may take you up on it but I've contacted Estes for their advice first. Just a question, if you give up your tubes how will you ever build the kit?

Here's an idea...

Buy another DRT and build it with only one body tube, use the 2nd body tube to replace the damaged tubes, then combine them both with a Pro Series II Partizon kit, and you'll end up with something that looks like one of Daddyisabar's projects:

ps-2-11-jpg.167647

Oh, and don't forget about my trick for using milk bottles to make your kit a 29mm powered bird.

This is what I have planned for what I'm doing with the CinerocDV camera body's leftovers.

Last edited:
Back