need help getting started!!!SOS Tail and Fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshUSAF

Reaction score
Hey,
I am just starting to build rockets. I have built a couple of those kits when I was a kid, but now I am moving on. Basically this is the deal. I am pretty sure that I am Good till I get to the tail.
Question 1. How about those fins. What is the best way to attach plastic fins? OR where can I find a tail cone for that?
Question 2. How about that area around the motor? I need to protect the card board body, But what should I protect it with?

picking up a kit or two from the local hobby store and get familiar with the techniques used in rocket construction before striking out on your own scratch-build.

I agree, I'd pick up one or two of the "Level 2" kits (that is, require some construction but not extensive work) so you can get a handle on how motor mounts, etc. are done. Be sure and follow the directions pretty closely at first - you'll pick up the techniques fairly fast.

Tail cones, do-it-yourself plastic fins, etc. are probably a step beyond that - probably "Level 3" it would be called.

Most kits use balsa wood fins, and cardstock adapters to mount the motors in the body tube. Regular white glue or wood glue is good for gluing wood and paper components together. For plastic, you need epoxy or plastic cement.

After you put together a couple of the basic kits, things like tail cones, plastic fins, are not too hard.

Originally posted by joshUSAF
Hey,
I am just starting to build rockets. I have built a couple of those kits when I was a kid, but now I am moving on. Basically this is the deal. I am pretty sure that I am Good till I get to the tail.
Question 1. How about those fins. What is the best way to attach plastic fins? OR where can I find a tail cone for that?
Question 2. How about that area around the motor? I need to protect the card board body, But what should I protect it with?

You don't say how big you're building, so the answers aren't going to be as accurate as they could.

Plastic fins call for plastic glue, or else epoxy, depending on engine power used.

There are some Quest kits with plastic fin/tail cone assemblies. I know of none available seperately. There are pre-built fin cans with fins and tube as one piece, that glue over the body, but these are for high powered rockets.

The tube will be protected by the motor casing: wrapped paper for smaller motors, phenolic for larger ones. There should be no need to protect the tube further. However, there is foil lined 24mm motor tube available. This is more for protection against ejection charge than for the motor itself.

I'll have to go with the crowd on this one. Go pick up a kit or two...nothing great, just enough to learn "the basics"....be sure that you launch them also....its one thing to know how to build them, but its a whole new ball game to see how your work flys.

I think that I've only built about 5 kit models...everything since has been a scratch build. I use space cad and wrasp to design and simulate alot. This helps....but is not exactly needed.

To answer your questions... Im not real sure where to get a tail cone...just eyeball it man. You'll get better with practice.

As far as protecting the body tube from the motor...
as DynaSoar mention the casing will protect it.
Though some people chose to "reinforce" the body by soaking it with CA glue...this is usually only done at the ends of the body tube..and usualy needs to be sanded and smoothed out...i would suggest looking into this technique if you are concerned about making your birds a little stronger.

hopefully atleast some of this helps..

-matt

Hey Guys,
Thanks for your input on the fins and motor mounting! I have built a couple of rocket kits in the past, but Now I am moving on....soooooo........
Thanks again it was a great help!

JoshUSAF

joshUSAF,
We hope you are now going to be a regular visitor and contributor (the more, the merrier?)
In case you don't remember from your earlier experience, you don't have to do much to 'protect' the cardboard body tubes (BT) from the motors. For low-power rockets (A-, B-, C-, and D- motors) there have been millions built and flown just fine with nothing added to the inside of the BT. The usual 'death' mode for these model rockets is landing in a treetop or getting squished in the closet at home.
If you really want to add something anyway, after you install the thrust ring (and/or motor retaining clip) and the shock cord anchor, you could swab the inside of the BT with glue. You can thin your water-based glue 1:1 and apply to the insides with a kid's paint brush, or with a Qtip stuffed in a straw (to increase your reach into those dinky BTs). Apply the glue a little more heavily to the zone just ahead of the thrust ring but DO NOT fill up the part of the BT where the motor installs . . . you may create a wad of dried glue that prevents you from slipping the motor into position!
You can also use thin epoxy, but this is another level of complexity (v.s. water-based glue) and your brush will be trash when you are finished. You could also use cyanoacrylate but that stuff is even nastier than epoxy (and far less tolerant of any mistake you make by working slowly).
Again, you really don't have to do anything at all to protect the cardboard BT and your rocket will work just fine.

hey if you want some scratch plans, contact me..i've giving up on sellin em, now im just handin them out to who ever thinks they might like to build one...they are all space cad bluerpints but i can rework them if you don't have space cad....
Good Luck!
-matt

hey powder , good Q-tip idea .. do you mean, small straws will fit the q-tip shaft and make a long extention ? that would be great for holding alot of glue! I've been using sticks and it usually drips off before I get down into the tube.

Back