Need help deciding

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickcodybarrett

Reaction score
OK. Im in a small dilemma. Im looking for a moderate sized rocket that shoots only to around 500ft. I shoot from a small horse field and I don't have much room to shoot very high.

I've come down to two rockets, which is the apogee aspire, and estes sahara. Im pretty sure these have a minimum height of around 500. Which one should I get, and which motor should I shoot it with. Thanks

I've been an Estes Freak since 1970, so...
But Apogee makes great kits.
If ya can swing it, get both.
Just look at expected high for 500' on the package and choose that motor.
500' is low for those kits.
Ever think about Micro Maxx or Mini's?

The Sahara on the F15-6 goes ~700-750 feet. I've not yet launched it on the E16-4, but would imagine it would be close to that.
The Cosmic Interceptor on the E12-4 is right around 400 feet and it's a lot of fun to build (and about the same size as the Sahara).

Yes, I have plenty of money to get both. But, I would like to find a motor for both. Im sure an E16-4 would fit both, but im not sure.

Wouldn't a Mega Der Red Max fit the bill?

Then again... If you were to couple your rocket with the Jolly Logic Chute Release, you could go higher.

A Sahara, or any of the PSII builder kits, should stay around that altitude with an Aerotech 24mm F44-4.

I could buy an even bigger rocket like the mammoth, and add weight to the nose cone. It also helps it come down a lot quicker. Would that be a good idea?

I could buy an even bigger rocket like the mammoth, and add weight to the nose cone. It also helps it come down a lot quicker. Would that be a good idea?

No reason to add nose weight so make something come down quicker; descent speed is adjustable by varying the recovery system: parachute size, reefing, spill holes, etc. Or, as mentioned above, get yourself a JL Chute Release and you'll have much less worry about launch altitude. It's sounds like you're a perfect candidate for it.

Also, the Mammoth, being extremely long, is probably overstable as it is, and adding more nose weight (which will increase its overstability) doesn't make much sense really.

I Launch My Estes Nike Smoke on a F44-4 to around 500ft on a small field. I have even use an F20 for about 1000ft.

A Sahara, or any of the PSII builder kits, should stay around that altitude with an Aerotech 24mm F44-4.
JL3 On the Sahara with the F44-4 is just over 700 feet as well. (about the same as the F15-6 BP). I think with the chute release (recommended above) he'd be fine.
FWIW, the Partizon with a 3D printed 29 to 24 mm adapter (same used on the Sahara) will fly to 550 on the F44-4 and just over 700 on the F32.
Those may be good options if you want to get an adapter.

Back