3D Printing Need Design Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banzai88

Lvl 2, Wallet..even more destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Up Front: THIS IS NOT A ROCKET PROJECT but I don't have any local resources to turn to. No one in my circle is a 3D printer or CAD person.

I need design help making a 3D printed 'chip' business card for my wife's cleaning business. I've pounded my head against TinkerCad and can't get it to do what she's wanting, although I'm sure it's possible, and would probably take 5 minutes for one of you CAD guys!

I have an Ender 3 Pro, so I can print......I just can't find my way around electronically MAKING what I want to print from scratch (yet).

If you're up for a quick challenge and would be willing to send me the final .stl file, please PM me.

Thanks,

Tom

MODS, if this is verboten, please delete with no harm done.

you are asking to make a business card?

what is this 'chip'?
Yes, basically a business card, but she wants it to be small, like 2 inches square, flat, with business name on one side and her catch phrase on the other. She does a cleaning business, cleaning and sanitizing condo/rental units at the upper level of high-end condo living and wants something more unique than a simple paper card to leave behind.

to lament a story to a friend of mine, many years ago.

My old friend & one of his friends were drinking & talking. And they got onto the subject of 3D printing, freebies for the local bars and teh scourge that is China. The decided to get a 3D printer, and start making custom designed & 3D printed shot glasses. he came to me, as I have both design & some 3D printer experience. I then told him, teh typical shot glass is an hour or 2 to print. Just one. And then the there is the design work needed, and that the glasses should be FDA compliant plastic. He was quickly dissuaded on the idea..

So, I ask you:
how many do you want to make? these can each take a number of minutes each to print out.. like, 10 or 15 minutes per card..
Quality? the text on the underside will be filled with 'supports' and will need cleaning out. Also depending on the the size of the text, it'll get lost / draw attention to the detail / quality of the printed surface.

My old friend & one of his friends were drinking & talking. And they got onto the subject of 3D printing, freebies for the local bars and teh scourge that is China. The decided to get a 3D printer, and start making custom designed & 3D printed shot glasses. he came to me, as I have both design & some 3D printer experience. I then told him, teh typical shot glass is an hour or 2 to print. Just one. And then the there is the design work needed, and that the glasses should be FDA compliant plastic. He was quickly dissuaded on the idea..

So, I ask you:
how many do you want to make? these can each take a number of minutes each to print out.. like, 10 or 15 minutes per card..
Quality? the text on the underside will be filled with 'supports' and will need cleaning out. Also depending on the the size of the text, it'll get lost / draw attention to the detail / quality of the printed surface.

I get it. Machine time isn't an issue, really. We only need 3-5 a week. I understand about supports. In fact, I'm open to a cylinder with the embossing around the outer skin, which would be cool, too.

When you're doing cleans on condos that start at $5K/month (and go up from there), she wants something more distinguishing than paper, and a similar item from one of her competitors was so sophomoric in execution as to be trash.

So, I ask you:
The answer here is obviously to get a resin printer, as many parts as you can fit onto the bed for the same print time as a single part of the same thickness. Sounds like a good pitch to convince the wife to get a new printer. :)

OK, cool. I'll check that out when I get home this afternoon. How do I edit the text?

I printed (at least) 25 breast cancer awareness pink ribbons at a time last year (total of over 200). I print multiples of the same thing all the time. I just copy and past the single file inside prusa slicer, click the arrange button (or whatever it's called, and tell it to print. You should be able to print 50-ish of 50mm x 50mm (2"x2") "cards" (more than that if it's a 400mm x 400mm bed) in one go.

Yep, I have it. There's tons of plugins for it as well. I have it notify me by text as the print progresses and finishes. I got a cheap pi cam for it, which is kind of cool. I don't use the camera much; though it can be useful for remote monitoring, for example you can cancel the print remotely (using the phone app) if you see its turning to spaghetti.
Definitely a nice addition for any printer, especially if you have an extra pi setting around as I did.
You either:
Spend lotsa $$ to get a copy of & learn PTC Creo, and I give you the file

or

You ask me! :D

I drew it up quickly here at work.

That's how I do it but I'll usually add if you get it from me I have two price structures - (1) $1,000,00.00 each or (2) Free. Your call. So far nobody has chosen #1... not sure why?

the text on the underside will be filled with 'supports' and will need cleaning out.
Agree with the above, but I'll add that at this size you could get away without supports and instead just use bridging. Quality will likely be better as supports can leave a rough(er) finish.

Back