Need CAD software...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by flying_silverad
I need some suggestions on purchasing a CAD program.
and oh yea......CHEAP!
You don't mention your requirements (other than price)...

This is a 2D CAD system I've been using to regain my
H.S. drafting skills and apply to rocketry again...

https://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html

From the web site-
"works under Linux, Unix Systems, Mac OS X and Windows. The
source code of QCad is released under the GPL (Open Source)."

There's community (free) and Profressional ($26 single user)
versions available.

Earlier pre-compiled versions for many platforms are available here-
https://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/qcad/

Thanks for all the links guys. I have downloaded one the "delta" version and am in the process of playing with it. So far so good. I am also going to down load QCad as well. The Rhino I'll try downloading before bed...it will take the longest.

I am basically looking for something that I can use for writing and illustration of instructions. 2D seems fine for now though I'm sure at SOME point 3D will be a natural progression.:rolleyes:

John,

What I've done in the past is use DeltaCad to draw, then save it as a bmp, reduce the color to 2 color (black/white) in Paint Shop Pro (to reduce file size), then type out my data, instructions etc. in Microsft Word, and drop the image right into the document.

Save..voila..It makes everything simple.

However, by using the text feature in Delta cad, you can type in your data by doing the following:

Select the text button, choose your insertion point by clicking with the mouse cursor, then type. When done - hit enter and your done.

If you need to move the location of the text, click the S for select, then move the cursor over the text and click the left mouse button. this highlights it in red, then click the MOVE icon.

If you need to edit the text, click the E for edit button, then click the text, a window will pop up where you can fine tune the text. Make sure IF you need to add text that you use the CONTROL-ENTER to start a new line.

Hope you find a program you like. 8)

John:
I'm in the process of learning TubroCad. Version 10 just came out about a month ago. I'm not sure if you'd call it cheap at 129.95 but it's a heck of a CAD program... 2D and 3D modeling with loads of features I haven't seen on anything short of AutoCAD-14;) Check it out and a trial version at https://www.imsisoft.com

the free version Micro mentioned (turbocad LE) is a full version learning edition...and an excellent way to learn the basics of cad .. the tutoral included with it will take you thru all the tools ..I highly recomend it for anyone wanting to learn cad...

best of all it's free

Originally posted by Micromister
John:
I'm in the process of learning TubroCad. Version 10 just came out about a month ago. I'm not sure if you'd call it cheap at 129.95 but it's a heck of a CAD program... 2D and 3D modeling with loads of features I haven't seen on anything short of AutoCAD-14;) Check it out and a trial version at https://www.imsisoft.com

Will do. $129 is around what I was looking at spending but I'll download the Demo. I amplaying with Delta right now and it works well. I'll give TurboCad a shot tomorrow when I have some time to download it.:D

DeltCad. Pretty striaght forward. Some stuff I was fooling with...
Engine%20Block.JPG

looks like you've got a handle on it...!!

one of the cool things about cad is you can save things as symbols or blocks ..and insert them into drawings
such as motor mount assemblys

for example I drew up the Rms casings and saved them individually..and can insert them into drawings..to figure out motor retention ...ect

I use turbocad LE for rocketry ..I have autocad 2004 ME for work purposes
but it's a little to in depth for drawing rocketry stuff

heres a pic from turbocad..(I turned off the dimensions for inserting into different designs)

you can build an entire rocket library this way !

heres a pershing with the rms inserted and dimensions on
(these are low quality screen caps)

heres the pershing with dimensions turned off

also every part is a seperate layer so modifications are easy

sorry for the multipule posts

Back