Need Basswood

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

kelltym88

Reaction score
Ok guys, need your help. I'm upscaling a Deuce's Wild and I need some basswood. Only problem is it needs to be only 8" wide, but 30" long. The grain would be x-grain, meaning it runs in the 8" direction. I have only seen it either in 6" or 12" wide strips.( 12" leaves too much offall) Can someone help me out? Also, I checked Michaels and Hobby People for Elmers Fill n Finish, neither carries it, where can I pick some of that up? Thanx guys.

eugenefl

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Worst come last, just create a 2-part fin. (See attachment) So how big are you upscaling that you would need a wider piece of basswood?

(PS - Gonna move this to "Scratch Build" forum. Should get more bites there.)

sandman

Reaction score
How about plywood?

You don't say how thick it needs to be.

Fill 'N Finish is available at Lowe's of Home Depot.

jetra2

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with sandman. Go with some 1/8" Midwest ply. It is really high-quality stuff and not much, if any, heavier than the basswood you would need to get the strength the ply would offer you.

Jason

shreadvector

Reaction score
Contact these folks:

https://www.superiorbalsa.com/

Originally posted by kelltym88
Ok guys, need your help. I'm upscaling a Deuce's Wild and I need some basswood. Only problem is it needs to be only 8" wide, but 30" long. The grain would be x-grain, meaning it runs in the 8" direction. I have only seen it either in 6" or 12" wide strips.( 12" leaves too much offall) Can someone help me out? Also, I checked Michaels and Hobby People for Elmers Fill n Finish, neither carries it, where can I pick some of that up? Thanx guys.

kelltym88

Reaction score
Originally posted by eugenefl
Worst come last, just create a 2-part fin. (See attachment) So how big are you upscaling that you would need a wider piece of basswood?

(PS - Gonna move this to "Scratch Build" forum. Should get more bites there.)
I'm upscaling to Estes BT-80 BT and 29mm MMT. According to my calculations the fins need to be about 7.5 x 7.5 inches. I really didin't want to have to piece together the fins, I did think about that. I also saw the plywood stock, but like I said it is 12" and would yield too much offall.

PS-- never got the attachment

powderburner

Reaction score
To get the grain running in the direction you want, why not just get some 'regular' basswood, cut it into eight inch sections, and then glue it side-to-side back into the sheet you want?
The factory-cut stock almost always has a really good (straight) side edge that would glue and clamp quite well to make a solid joint. It's not as difficult as you might think. Lay down a sheet of waxed paper to keep it from sticking to your table.