Need advice on what to get/how to put together an electronics bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Van Cleave

Reaction score
I want to go to the next step and add electronics to my rocket. I don't know where to begin is there any good step by step tutorials that could walk me through the process.
Thanks in advance

Check out this video from John Coker. He has tons of great resources on his website related to a wide range of rocketry subjects.

Tons of stuff online, tons of videos, lots of variety all based on your airframe.

Are you looking to log data, dual deploy, stage?

Tons of altimeters out there, great prices, great reliability. You can't beat rocketry customer service, it's all people who want to help. Don't be afraid to ask questions from manufactures directly. I'm partial to PerfectFlite and Missile works myself.

Welcome to the forum. You won't know yourself once you use electronic deployment. A lot of the variability goes out of the deployment timing.

Lots of different ways of doing bays, have a look around and choose one that suits your skills and material choices. Birch(?) ply (I get mine from hobby shops) works pretty well if you are looking for something easy to work with.

Lots of different opinions, see what you think will work for you.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Come on, I can't believe I'm post #10 and the first to mention "Get Modern High Powered Rocketry" for this and answers to most of the questions you will ever have in rocketry.........

For dual deployment, you need a DD altimeter, two charge wells, a wiring kit, a battery and battery holder, risers to elevate your altimeter at least 1/16" above the sled, a sled, one or two pieces of threaded rod, two forged or welded eyebolts or stainless U-bolts, two terminal blocks, and a switch.

For redundant systems, double everything except the eyebolts and threaded rods. Of course, I did not include locking nuts, regular hex nuts, and wing nuts, and washers for all.

You'll also probably want shear pins, and a way to bond the top of the coupler to the payload bay, like with thumb rivets or metal screws and weld nuts.

When mount altimeters should they shock mounted?
No, but barometric altimeters need to be elevated above the sled by at least 1/16". You should be able to slide a credit card around between the alt and the sled.

Alts with an accelerometer need to be mounted in a single direction (up is up), but baro alts don't care.

With baro alts, having a decent amount of air to sample is critical, so make sure you have sufficient sampling ports in number and size, and make sure the holes are sanded clean.

Are you near a club? If so, join the club and ask questions of the more experienced members. It is far easier to have someone show you how stuff works than to read about it.

Back