Need a new Rocket Hunter transmitter...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nh4clo4

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a new one? It seems Rocket Hunter has disappeared...
:confused2:

Note that Com-Spec can no longer sell transmitters on the frequency the original Rocket Hunter was on -- they got a cease and desist from the FCC.

What they'll do is update your receiver (for $100) to cover the old frequencies, as well as the new. Then, they'll see you a new transmitter on a frequency that's FCC approved.

A friend contacted them just a few weeks ago, that this is what Com-Spec told him.

-Kevin

Ouch!

I was still operating with one of the old frequencies, so it looks like it will cost me $200 to have a new transmitter and an upgraded receiver...

Oh well. Still worth it considering the cost of rockets, motor hardware, altimeters, parachutes, etc...

Thank you for the replies.

Ouch!

I was still operating with one of the old frequencies, so it looks like it will cost me $200 to have a new transmitter and an upgraded receiver...

Oh well. Still worth it considering the cost of rockets, motor hardware, altimeters, parachutes, etc...

Yep, and at least they're offering an upgrade of some sort -- it'd be much worse if they told you you had to buy a totally new receiver.

-Kevin

Yep, and at least they're offering an upgrade of some sort -- it'd be much worse if they told you you had to buy a totally new receiver.

FWIW, the guys at ComSpec are totally top-notch and love our hobby. I had my receiver upgraded last year to the new frequencies, and since the company is local, I dropped it off in person -- the guy helping me out had a copy of Rockets Magazine on his desk and a signed "thank you" picture from Burt Rutan on his wall.

(Also, when I had the upgrade done, I went in with friends and purchased several transmitters at once, and they upgraded the receiver for free. You might try working that angle -- I think we got 4 or 5, I can't remember exactly...)

A friend with a 6 year old Rocket Hunter setup just had an anomaly and lost
his transmitter. (ie. lawn dart smash recovery) He called me looking for someone to do the modification on his 6 year old receiver so he could buy a new transmitter. The old one was in the 216/17/18/19 Mhz receive range I believe and won't work in the ham band without modification.

I don't know how to do that but he said that Com-Spec no longer does the
upgrade anymore. I see that all their "new" transmitters are in the Ham Band now but looks like they don't care who buys 'em as I didn't see them require proof of a valid Technician's license on the surface. Doesn't matter to me
as I got a General ticket and am not looking to get into a pis___g contest
about license/unlicensed issue.

The bottom line is if you haven't had your early Rocket Hunter receiver modified by now, you're S.O.L. if you lose your only transmitter.

I highly recommend one study, spend the $14.00, take the test and get an entry level Ham tech license as it opens up a lot more as far as tracking is concerned. Dirt cheap if you ask me. A TH-F6A will track anything and I
dare you to price it compared to the commercial stuff out there.

Kurt

There are still some options you have, Just use creative thinking.... They still sell the 216-219 band transmitters out of country.
I had a Canadian friend order me one then ship it to me!

Actually the upgrade deal was: buy 2 new transmitters for 100.00 @ and they would modify your unit for free ...you pay shipping.

Once again the simple answer is to call and ask.

They also make this unit receiver which gets both for only 250. For those that have the old freq. and need new ones.

https://www.com-spec.com/rocket/index.html

AND you can get these in any freq. 216-219 from LLC antenna is only 6in.
I used one in the Blackhawk 24 it was the bomb! Comes in the nifty aluminum screw together, waterproof housing. I used it with my Rocket hunter/ comm spec receiver. they are compatible.

https://www.radiotracking.com/xlf.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Jim. I'll forward it to my buddy. I found a transmitter in my
box that's on 216.4875 and was going to see if it would work with his receiver.
I got my General ticket so I'm not so interested in using it anymore as I have other
trackers..

Kurt "KC9LDH"

There are still some options you have, Just use creative thinking.... They still sell the 216-219 band transmitters out of country.
I had a Canadian friend order me one then ship it to me!

As long as you don't mike being somewhat illegal, Falconry transmitters are available in the 216-219 band. Google it and you should be able to find reasonably priced ones. Omit the bird mounting features for the best prices.

Falconry is a bigger hobby than HPR.

Actually there are about 2000 falconers in the US. So it's really not bigger than HPR but comparable, which is interesting by itself.

However, falconers have a higher flight success ratio.

Actually there are about 2000 falconers in the US. So it's really not bigger than HPR but comparable, which is interesting by itself.

However, falconers have a higher flight success ratio.

I take success is to mean your flying buddy comes back to return
to your gloved hand.:kill: Sure beats a walking recovery!
Thanks for the information again.

Kurt

I heard a radio interview with a falconer a couple months ago, and IIRC, he said that the bird would have about a 10% hunting success rate. The falconers do lose birds on occasion, too. The birds will only fly back if they feel like it's in their best interest to do so. It's more of a hunting partnership than a pet/caretaker relationship. I think the transmitters are there mostly to give the falconers another chance to coax the bird to come back.

I heard a radio interview with a falconer a couple months ago, and IIRC, he said that the bird would have about a 10% hunting success rate.

I wonder how that compares with other traditional hunting. Around here its common for hunters to go days without bagging their prey.

Back