Need a little language help...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you say more often when referring to sides?

• Left/Right

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Right/Left

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Either way, equally

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When it comes to states, you should your weapon choose wisely... Which would you choose? Or E Gone? Or Ah Gun?

When it comes to states, you should your weapon choose wisely... Which would you choose? Or E Gone? Or Ah Gun?
Concerning states it would be Ah Gun.
We use both in another context. "Hurry, git ah gun before e gone!"
"Usually concerning daughters boyfriends"

One issue we have at work (mech designers & drafters) is that we tend to draw the part to fit the paper. While this is "correct", you can easily forget what the important features / dimension are, if you draw it that way. (or not understand how it is supposed to fit / assemble as you go up the chain..) So, we now try to present the part on paper as you would see it in the real world / assembled. Make much more sense..

So, if I read what Neil said, it's how we would perceive an object. Sometimes an object pointing the other way just looks wrong..

I'm reminded of a FB comment I made: Someone had posted an ISS shot of Prince Edward Island, with the caption of "where is this" I replied PEI. I also pointed out that the picture was upside down. I got flack for that comment, as "there is no up & down in space!!" While technically true, my retort was to be: we are used to seeing such things [geography] in a particular way, with "north" generally "up".

We perceive the planets on a horizontal plane, spinning around the sun. But it very well might be that our orbit(s) are at an angle to the rest of the galaxy..

And, how many times do you see the UFP Enterprise (any model) fly around upside down, or on an angle. And when they meet up with another vessel, they are also both 'right side up'..

Ask a kid: "what orientation does the space shuttle have when in orbit?" and look at their face when you tell them that is it rarely, if ever 'right side up, nose point forward' (upside down & backwards?!! Makes no sense!)

Back