Need a Good Label Maker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Austin

Does anyone know where I may be able to get some vinyl labels printed. I have the decals and lettering completed for my L3 and some of them are large, so I was thinking water transfers would not work for the bigger ones.

Please note that I am looking for someone with quick turnaround and require that the labels do not come out foggy, which I have seen with some clear transfers. Much time has been spent building, then researching and designing scale lettering so I want them to look nice. Also note that some of the labels require photographic quality.

Thanks in Advance,

Carl

I don't remember which post it was, but there is a person in this Forum who made some very nice decals for one of his own rockets. The "Executioner". And, in my honest opinion, the job he did was nothing less than excellent.

You may want to try Tango Papa. If I remember correctly not too long ago Tom had posted that he has access to vinyl decals now.

Tom did some upscale Der Red Max decals for me. I was in a rush for NARAM-43 and he had them to me in about one week.

Tony

Tony,

How was the quality of Tom's decals??? I just got off the phone with him and emailed him some of my documents that contain the lettering...

Carl

Carl,

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier than this, but shoot me what you need. I'll hook you up.

Originally posted by CTulanko
Tony,

How was the quality of Tom's decals??? I just got off the phone with him and emailed him some of my documents that contain the lettering...

Carl

Tom Prestia (Tango Papa Decals) makes very nice decals. Besides all the ones listed on his web site, he can do custom ones. I had him make a set of 1.63X Orbital Transport decals (for a BT-60 version of the OT. Actually, those may be a standard product now...). I also went kinda crazy and ordered a bunch of decals like Cherokee-D, Mars Lander, Mini Marz Lander, etc.

I built a BT-80 version of the Estes Mosquito, and I got Tom's Mosquito decals -- a sheet of Mosquitos that are pretty cool.

Finally, JimZ Hobbies (and of kit plans fame) makes decals. I had him make me a set of green Orbital Transport decals (the originals are red).

Two Thumbs Up for both these guys!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I wound up ordering from Tom at Tango Papa Decals. Sure wish I knew you did decals earlier there Jase!

Anyway, he is going to do the screws and graphic decals like the Gears and such in Waterslide. I will be doing a set in parallel, but he has an Alps printer and can mix in some REAL gold and silver for the right colored brass and titanium screws.

What I liked was the lettering he offers. They will come as individual vinyl letters masked on an upper carrier sheet and all assembled. I just need to appliy each decal as one piece, then remove the carrier. This should REALLY look realistic and GOOD!

Now, if he can only get them here by next Friday, I will be set...

Thanks again,

Carl

Originally posted by CTulanko
screws and graphic decals like the Gears and such in Waterslide.

I will be doing a set in parallel, but he has an Alps printer and can mix in some REAL gold and silver for the right colored brass and titanium screws.

What I liked was the lettering he offers. They will come as individual vinyl letters masked on an upper carrier sheet and all assembled. I just need to appliy each decal as one piece, then remove the carrier. This should REALLY look realistic and GOOD!

We have a machine here called The Edge that is a thermal printer that prints directly to vinyl. Most sign shops have them now. decals are waterproof and will last probably longer than most rockets. ;)

We have foils that can print Chrome and Gold Chrome. Looks very sharp. We also have a silver and gold metallic that we can print with.

The vinyl letters that you will get are the same as what we do. They are cut by a plotter and have a transfer tape applied on top. simply apply the lettering and peel the tape off when done. They look much better than any waterslide decals you can get IMHO. :D

Originally posted by Jase

We have a machine here called The Edge that is a thermal printer that prints directly to vinyl.

Jase, could you provide a bit more detail. Price? Minimum order? Media/formats accepted to transfer graphics?

Thanks!

For Edge printing, it is very custom. There is typically a $25 setup charge plus a per sq. ft. charge. The Edge can print directly to vinyl, static cling, magnetics, Lexan and a few other products.

Keep in mind that we do standard cut vinyl as well. These are the letters that Carl will be getting and I have supplied Phil and Mark as well. Those are in a slew of different colors and will come out less than Edge printing. Cut vinyl varies greatly on how large and how many.

For instance, I did 2 sets of 3" letters for Phil's elDIABLO in black high performance vinyl. The retail price on this would have been $20 plus tax.

For Edge printing, as the Executioner was, was 3 spot colors (the Edge can print 4 color process colors as well) on high performance vinyl. There were 3 decals about 2.5"x18" and the retail on this would have been $38.00 plus tax. The Edge is priced by the linear foot, so the more you get, the less each piece costs.

I can use any kind of artwork out there. Illlustrator, Corel or Freehand work the best for vector art, but I have access to just about every other piece of graphic software out there.

Let me know if you need something. I can generally get it out in a day or two depeding on how busy we are at the shop. The next few weeks will be insane due to the International Home Furnishings Market coming up in a few weeks, but I will still do my best to get them in a timely manner.

email me at [email protected] and I'll see if I can fix you up! :D

BTW, all the pics that I've posted of my own rockets are decals that I've made here. I will post more pics of the Sparrow once it is completed (getting much closer).

Jason

Jase,

Thanks for the addl info.! I will keep this in mind for future projects. One of my personal problems is vacillating about the names of my rockets. When I decide on a name/decorations on my upscale Big Brute, I may just give you a shout. But then I need to finish the design first :confused:

Back