Need a Clear Coat over Testors Enamel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketRoll

Reaction score
I regret using this Testors enamel paint more and more. It's been two months and it's still giving off fumes...

I want to clear coat this paint to matte it out. I used gloss colors so that the decals adhere better.

I have Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Matte acrylic coating, but now I'm reading online that it will eat my Testors enamel paint. I see ModelMaster Lusterless but that doesn't seem to work either because that is lacquer.

I'm thoroughly confused. How do I put a dull clearcoat over this enamel? Anything lower-VOC containing is preferred - I'm tired of smelling this paint.

EDIT: I've also found Rustoleum Matte Clear Enamel. Will this work?

Last edited:
I regret using this Testors enamel paint more and more. It's been two months and it's still giving off fumes...

I want to clear coat this paint to matte it out. I used gloss colors so that the decals adhere better.

I have Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Matte acrylic coating, but now I'm reading online that it will eat my Testors enamel paint. I see ModelMaster Lusterless but that doesn't seem to work either because that is lacquer.

I'm thoroughly confused. How do I put a dull clearcoat over this enamel? Anything lower-VOC containing is preferred - I'm tired of smelling this paint.

EDIT: I've also found Rustoleum Matte Clear Enamel. Will this work?

I've used Krylon UV Clears both matte & gloss over testors spray enamels extensively over the last 6 or 8 years with NO trouble at all.
One of the first things to remember is to apply a "Light misting coat" to your last color coats before applying a heave wet clear coat once the mist coat has completely dried.
Remember also that Matte clears flash off the solvents much quicker then gloss clears.

I've also used Rustoleum gloss and matte clears on all kinds of spray and brush on paints with no ill effects on any of them. Remember that light mist sealing coat is the most important part of clear coating.
OBTW it you are using these clear coats as a protective coating, your are operating under a false notion. Clear Coats: ALL Clear Coats become very brittle shortly after drying. A hard bump in the trunk or landing will crack these coating and flake off some of the clear and some of the decal they cover. A better process is to use either Nu-Finish polymer (not a wax) finish or Pledge-with-Future Over your decals and color coats.
Since switching from Clear Coats to Pledge-with-Future and/or a high Shine coat of NU-Finish I haven't had a single decal lift or paint damage from flights, transport or landings on a couple hundred rockets.

Attachments

• 2 best rocket finish-waxes_05-20-04.jpg
    2 best rocket finish-waxes_05-20-04.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Pledge-TileVinylFloorFinishwithFuture(WAS Future)_07-13-11.jpg
    Pledge-TileVinylFloorFinishwithFuture(WAS Future)_07-13-11.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 238
Thanks! The primary purpose of the clear coat for me is to matte the gloss colors of the paint. I used gloss to ensure the decals adhere properly - I've had trouble in the past applying decals to flat colors. The anti-yellowing aspect of the clear coat is nice as well, though I usually store my rockets away from windows.

I'm thinking Nu-Finish might not work for me because I'm looking for a matte finish. I could probably put something on top of it to matte it out, but I'm frankly running out of time with this one - it's gotta be ready next weekend.

For this rocket, as long as the Krylon UV-Resistant Clear acrylic coating doesn't eat up my Testors spray and Testors bottle paint (used for some impossible to mask sections) or the decals, I'm fine. And from what you stated, it sounds like I will be okay. Definitely for future rockets I'll look into Nu-Finish or Pledge-with-Future.

Back