Necroed HV Arcas project...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Twenty-plus years ago, when I was just getting into mid-power, I picked up an Aerotech HV Arcas kit on the way home from a launch. It was my third mid-power rocket, and it very quickly became one of my Fly-it-every-time-go-to rockets. I still have it, as well as the other two mid-power birds from that time (T.H.O.Y. Wasp and a Vaughn Brothers Javelin; all still flyers).

Not long after building the HV Arcas kit, I came across a drawing in one of Peter Alway's books (The Art of Scale Model Rocketry, as I recall) of the boosted Sparrow/HV Arcas sounding rocket. The light bulb above my head quickly began to flicker and I started drawing up a staged version of the Sparrow/Acras using a clone of the Aerotech kit as the sustainer.

I ordered up some heavier tubes, plywood CRs and bulkheads, and the Aerotech plastic fins and nosecone and had the basic rocket built pretty quickly. Certain changes were made to allow for booster attachment, and no launch lugs were installed as they were intended to be mounted on the Sparrow booster (rails and buttons were a couple of years away).

Well, 9/11 shut us all down for a while, other aspects of life intervened as they often do, and the poor Arcas clone sat neglected in the model room.

Until today...

I'm really making an effort to clear up the rather sizable backlog of unfinished projects in the shop (Honest... Really, I am...), and figured it was high time that poor Arcas was finished, painted and flown.

I decided to modernize things a bit by setting it up for dual-deploy using the coupler as the av-bay. This was made easier by the fact that I had not glued the coupler into the payload tube all those years ago. It was fairly easy to make a forward bulkhead from a coupler bulkhead and a centering ring that I had in the parts bin. Three holes were drilled through the coupler where the booster and payload tubes meet and 1/4" carbon tubes glued into the holes in the coupler. These get sanded flush with the outer tube and serve as vent holes, arming switch hole and as locating pins for the body and payload tube.

Okay, I'm sure that confused everybody, so please forgive my lack of clarity and check out the pics. I think they will clear it all up!

I also got the rail guides glued on (I like to use the Acme rail guides) and filled and sanded the nosecone. She'll get a few scale details tomorrow, along with a coat of primer.

I haven't given up on flying it as the sustainer on the Sparrow booster, in fact, it will be easier to do now with all of the electronics available. (Seems to me there was a discussion concerning mercury switches and flashbulbs back then...).

It will also be easier to get the details correct thanks to @Ez2cDave who very graciously provided me with a wealth of scale data on the Arcas, HV Arcas, Boosted Arcases and Sparrow missiles. Thanks again Dave, I continue to be amazed at your collection of data and your generosity!

Enough rambling, here are some pics:

Here she is with her older brother...
1648963217904.png

Coupler with carbon tubes for vent holes...
1648962587642.png
1648962603208.png

Inside the coupler. The long tube will locate the sled so that the switch is in the proper position relative to the hole (Still need to clean up the inside a bit).
1648962716063.png

Here's how it goes together. The payload (main chute) tube will be attached to the coupler/av-bay with screws.
1648962806649.png
1648962827745.png
1648962861072.png

Rail guides (and messy bench)...
1648962999989.png

As always, thanks for lookin'!

Mike

Twenty-plus years ago, when I was just getting into mid-power, I picked up an Aerotech HV Arcas kit on the way home from a launch. It was my third mid-power rocket, and it very quickly became one of my Fly-it-every-time-go-to rockets. I still have it, as well as the other two mid-power birds from that time (T.H.O.Y. Wasp and a Vaughn Brothers Javelin; all still flyers).

Not long after building the HV Arcas kit, I came across a drawing in one of Peter Alway's books (The Art of Scale Model Rocketry, as I recall) of the boosted Sparrow/HV Arcas sounding rocket. The light bulb above my head quickly began to flicker and I started drawing up a staged version of the Sparrow/Acras using a clone of the Aerotech kit as the sustainer.

I ordered up some heavier tubes, plywood CRs and bulkheads, and the Aerotech plastic fins and nosecone and had the basic rocket built pretty quickly. Certain changes were made to allow for booster attachment, and no launch lugs were installed as they were intended to be mounted on the Sparrow booster (rails and buttons were a couple of years away).

Well, 9/11 shut us all down for a while, other aspects of life intervened as they often do, and the poor Arcas clone sat neglected in the model room.

Until today...

I'm really making an effort to clear up the rather sizable backlog of unfinished projects in the shop (Honest... Really, I am...), and figured it was high time that poor Arcas was finished, painted and flown.

I decided to modernize things a bit by setting it up for dual-deploy using the coupler as the av-bay. This was made easier by the fact that I had not glued the coupler into the payload tube all those years ago. It was fairly easy to make a forward bulkhead from a coupler bulkhead and a centering ring that I had in the parts bin. Three holes were drilled through the coupler where the booster and payload tubes meet and 1/4" carbon tubes glued into the holes in the coupler. These get sanded flush with the outer tube and serve as vent holes, arming switch hole and as locating pins for the body and payload tube.

Okay, I'm sure that confused everybody, so please forgive my lack of clarity and check out the pics. I think they will clear it all up!

I also got the rail guides glued on (I like to use the Acme rail guides) and filled and sanded the nosecone. She'll get a few scale details tomorrow, along with a coat of primer.

I haven't given up on flying it as the sustainer on the Sparrow booster, in fact, it will be easier to do now with all of the electronics available. (Seems to me there was a discussion concerning mercury switches and flashbulbs back then...).

It will also be easier to get the details correct thanks to @Ez2cDave who very graciously provided me with a wealth of scale data on the Arcas, HV Arcas, Boosted Arcases and Sparrow missiles. Thanks again Dave, I continue to be amazed at your collection of data and your generosity!

Enough rambling, here are some pics:

Here she is with her older brother...
View attachment 512520

Coupler with carbon tubes for vent holes...
View attachment 512512
View attachment 512513

Inside the coupler. The long tube will locate the sled so that the switch is in the proper position relative to the hole (Still need to clean up the inside a bit).
View attachment 512514

Here's how it goes together. The payload (main chute) tube will be attached to the coupler/av-bay with screws.
View attachment 512515
View attachment 512516
View attachment 512517

Rail guides (and messy bench)...
View attachment 512518

As always, thanks for lookin'!

Mike
Mike, she looks great! I will be following with great interest!

Like most of my projects, this one has been on the back burner due to life getting in the way of hobby time :)mad:), but here (finally) is a progress report!

The rocket is completely primered and waiting for final sanding before color coats and I have a BEAUTIFUL set of decals from Mark at Stickershock, so the finishing process is well on the way. The time I have had I used to get the av-bay sled built.

On that front, I decided to try something I had been thinking about for a while now. Things quickly got out of hand...

Usually we build our sleds out of somewhat heavy plywood, but I wanted to try to make a lightweight sled built up from very thin wood. This is the one I came up with for the Arcas.

The whole thing is built up from 1/32" basswood, with a couple of 1/16" pieces in higher stress areas. It has a 1/4" carbon tube running down the middle that slides over the all-thread rod that runs through the av-bay. Other than that, and a couple of 1/32" stringers, the sled is hollow. I used a pull-pin switch from Chris at Lab Rat Rocketry (HIGHLY recommended!) that mounts between the top and bottom and is secured by one of the altimeter mounting studs. The battery cradle aft bulkhead rests flush against the rear bulkhead of the av-bay. Unfortunately, I didn't remember to take any pics while I was building the thing, so no shots of the internal structure, but basically, it just a box. It did come out VERY light, but I (drum roll please) forgot to weigh the bare sled before I got everything mounted. :rolleyes:

It was at this point that things went a bit sideways...

Being a scale modeler with a predilection for adding un-needed, scale-like details to functional objects, I figured that if it was, basically, a monocoque av-bay sled, well, it needed to look like a monocoque av-bay sled...

A few lines of simulated rivets, some zinc chromate green paint, a bunch of chipped paint and a couple of phony data plates were added to the thing, and it wound up looking like it's been sitting around in an old aircraft warehouse for a while.

Anyway, it was fun to do, and I will certainly be building more of my av-bays this way, though maybe not with all the details and weathering!

Here are some pics...

Battery cradle. Forward is to the right of the pic.
1659219414693.png
1659219516420.png
1659219575280.png

Altimeter side... The slots are for a zip tie to secure the battery.
1659219643580.png
1659219691872.png

This shot shows the slot along the side that engages with the carbon tube in the side of the coupler and locates the switch in the proper place.
1659219926438.png
1659220072862.png

A little phony data plate. Jst for fun!
1659220017441.png

Rear bulkhead.
1659220131485.png
1659220229856.png

Here's how the whole thing fits together...

There are three short carbon tubes in the sides of the coupler (See previous post above). The slot in the side of the av-bay slides over one of them, indexing the av-bay within the coupler.
1659220580294.png

Once the sled is seated in the av-bay, the pull switch is located right at the carbon tube. (sorry about the fuzzy pic)
1659220727815.png

Here's how it fits in the coupler tube.
1659220803562.png
1659220843453.png

I might post this over on the av-bay thread as well.

More as progress warrants. hopefully not as long next time!

Thanks for looking!

Mike

Back