NCR SR-99 Hyperswift

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

hball55

Reaction score
I saw a picture where somebody modified theirs by installing small nosecones in the tubes, making them look like jet engine intakes. Has anybody built one and did a modification like that? I was thinking that 3D printed pieces might work best and be lighter than other solutions.

hball55

Reaction score
I went to Madcow rocketry and ordered balsa ramjet nosecones that are for the 2.6” Bomarc, and the balsa parts fit a 2.2” tube. My tubes are 1.9”, so I am going to do some sanding and see if I can get them to fit, and hopefully they will look good.

Bruiser

Reaction score
Sounds interesting. I hope those nosecones work for you. I'll be watching to see how it comes out

-Bob

Bruiser

Reaction score
I was thinking about this and I remembered I did something simular when I buitl my Defender. I made simulated ram jets from nosecone. You can see how I did it here: (1) Lockheed Defender Build | Page 2 | The Rocketry Forum

I ended up changing the ramjet engines over to wing pods because they looked too small to be engines. I also needed to lose some wieght in the rear so instead of using plastic nose cones for the front of the pods I went with balsa. It's much lighter that plastic.

Point is I think you are on the right track trying to do it with balsa.

-Bob

hball55

Reaction score
Yes, I would like to see how it looks. I built mine stock.
Mine won’t look that good. For one, I left off the cut balsa pieces on the flat wing. I did fill the plywood grain using bondo putty, so that should come out looking good. cwbullet is making the ramjet cones on his 3D printer, so the balsa pieces I ordered from Madcow will sit in my parts box. I plan on buying the 2.6” Bomarc if Madcow ever gets it back in stock, so those pieces can be replacements if I ever lose one.

hball55

Reaction score
I sure had a lot of leftover decals, then when I read online, I found that there were two different sets of decals with this kit so I could choose which one I preferred. Here's a couple of pics with the ramjet cones manufactured on a 3D printer by cwbullet. He's also currently working on exhaust cones for this kit.
IMG_0027.JPG

Attachments

rharshberger

Reaction score
Interesting how much it looks like the Estes Top Secret, slightly different with the addition of the ramjet cones.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Glad to see the tail cones work.