NCR Interceptor-G Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinVrstal

Reaction score
I got this kit off E-bay recently with the intent to build. Forget the collect thing. The build has gone really well with all the same gotchas of a NCR kit.

The motor mount tube was peeled out and sanded down. Body tube spirals were filled with a watered down mixture of Elmer's fill and finish. Tail cone assembly was glued together with Plastruct Plastic Weld and the gap was filled with Jb Weld. All fins were tacked down with 5 minute epoxy and fillets were done with some West Systems epoxy.

A couple of mistakes sofar.....I didn't line up tailcone grooves dead center(I can live with it) and no positive motor retention. I'll either just friction fit with tape or come up with some kind of wire thingy. Any ideas now that I'm this far?

There's not really too many build threads about this rocket and only a couple reviews done years ago. I have a collection of NCR rockets stashed away and plan to build them in the near future.

DSC02085.JPG

DSC02086.JPG

DSC02087.JPG

DSC02088.JPG

Nothing better than the Intercepter G.
You just talked me into digging into mine and building it.
How about an Intercepter G drag race at Midwest Power this year?
Looks good so far,
SG

Hey Scott...that sounds like a good time. Like G-80's at 20 paces? I do still have 1 Darkstar motor in my motor box.....hummmmm.....:)

Hey Scott...that sounds like a good time. Like G-80's at 20 paces? I do still have 1 Darkstar motor in my motor box.....hummmmm.....:)

Should we open it up to all Intercepters on G motors.
Interogaters too?
I bought one of those from Sirius at NSL.
That is also on the top of my build pile.
I looked over the motor tube for mine tonight. A 29- 40/120 casing fits in it just fine.
I thought that the darkstar motors were a differant size.??
What am I missing?

Yes...the North Coast motors are like 28.5mm. The rms case will fit but single use motors won't. Motor tube has to be sanded out or replaced with true 29mm.

Sounds like an open call to me. I just hope I can make it this year. :)

I did some work on the motor retention today. I drilled a hole into the tail cone. Went through the motor tube into the aft centering ring. Drilled another hole there and cleaned out a little plastic from inside tail cone section. I JB welded a nut to the end of a piece of small tube, then inserted it from in the mm tube and exiting out the end of the tail cone. More JB weld was applied to the nut to secure it to the aft CR and a little around the outside of retention screw tube.

DSC02092.JPG

DSC02094.JPG

DSC02096.JPG

DSC02095.JPG

This is in my build pile along with about 100 other kits...you are inspiring me to start working on it although I really don't like building with epoxy so that gets put off sometimes.

I did buy some 29 mm tubing for the motor mount and it fits perfectly in the centering rings, so I'll dispense with the 28.5 mm. If NCR ever returns and sells their motors in the same diameter as before, 1/2 mm is easy to fix with masking tape.

Motor retention is another thing. I was thinking of maybe using something like this :

https://www.aeropack.net/motor_retainers.html

or this :

https://www.giantleaprocketry.com/hpdefault.asp

The silver nozzle might look very cool on an Interceptor G.

The photo's in post 8 also show the rocket in white KILZ primer. It has since been sanded, touched up, sanded some more...and more and finally given a couple coats of Krylon White Gloss. Tail cone is painted with Rust-oleum High Heat Black. Rocket nozzles are red banner gloss and smoke grey. All the plastic parts I just painted basic silver.

interceptor-G build 004.jpg

interceptor-G build 001.jpg

interceptor-G build 002.jpg

Well...I think I'm done. I spent the better part of last night and most of the day today finishing the decals and installing the plastic parts. I added a couple of decals from an Interceptor-E kit. They were delicate even after coating them with Krylon Clear.

I thought this was a pretty easy kit to build. The tail cone was by far the hardest part. I'm sorry I didn't have photos while I was constructing it. Just take your time while glueing the two plastic sections together. All of the vinyl decals were easy to apply. I had a small problem with the booster rocket nose cone decals. They just wouldn't lay right for me.

interceptor-G build 006.jpg

interceptor-G build 007.jpg

very nice, thanx for the build thread. I have had 1 of these kits on the build shelf for some time now. Maybe now I'll get around to building it!

Delay in my build due to OE centering ring failure.
I had glued the top two onto my motor tube, added the gorilla cable and crimped it on then added heat shrink to keep the ends from fraying.
The I went to trial fit the motor tube into the body tube and when I drew it out the centering ring broke in half taking the cable along.
Now I need to get into the garage and spin out a couple of "good" centering rings. Seems like the OE version was just balsa or basswood. It broke off right on the grain.:mad:

I didn't take a lot of pic's during the build but it's done.
What a pretty rocket. I must thank the NAR board members for their gift.
Midwest Power is coming up soon. Sather has his ready. Will you be there Marty?

Photo0180.jpg

Photo0186.jpg

Photo0183.jpg

I love the NCR Interceptor-G. I picked up a couple kits from Belleville Hobby about ten years ago. I built one and the other is calling my name after reading this thread!

Great looking Interceptor Scott. With the postponement of MWP 7 to November.....I have other obligations that weekend and will not be able to attend.....bummer.

Great finish job.
The paint colors & decal application turned out supernice.

Have you flown it??

Back