NCR HOBGOBLIN

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for information on the NCR Hobgoblin rocket. Dimensions, fin patterns, etc..... It looks like it is based on an 8 inch air frame, with a cluster configuration.
There is a photo of it on the cover of: High Power Rocketry March/April 1993.

Last edited:
Tom B. of DARS fame has this very kit if I recall. I bet he'll chime in here pretty soon. Tom?

And here I am.

Will get some dims and post them ASAP. Will put one of the fins on a gridded cutting board and take a picture.

Had been working on mine, but ran into some fairly warped plywood fins and that derailed me for a while.

The NCR 8" nose cone is not common. Not sure what ever happened to the mold for it. It was not precisely the shape of a a Goblin nose cone, but not many 8" gone around back then. I actually have two of the NCR 8" cones. One good one that came with the kit I got from Matt and one that is slightly out of round and a few thousands bigger on the shoulder that came from a later mold.

The kit body tube was basically a peeled sono-tube in appearance. No Glassine.

Still mulling over whether to glass mine and paint it nicely, or do a little filling and sealing on the tube and Monokote the tube and fins and only paint the nose cone.

I did make new centering rings for a 75mm motor tube......;) First flight will be on a 54mm motor, a K550, likely for my L2 cert, with later potential for some interesting L and M motors.

Busy week this week, but will have you some info by the weekend.

Last edited:
Gary: attention granted...can't wait to see this build!

Tom, Monokote (or Ultracote) works well for upscale Goblins. 5.5" Loc Big Cletus extended, it's a close, but not exact upscale. Painted nosecone, Stickershock vinyl, everything else Ultracote.

002.jpg

-Eric-

Found a NCR catalog from 1992 and the kit is 60 inches by 8 inches in diameter, with 1/4 ply fins and a 2.1 motor mount. Either, I will upgrade to a 75 or come up with a cluster mount for this one. Been on a cluster kick lately (wonder why?) Could probably have Python rocketry do a nice cone out of foam and glass for the Hobgoblin.

Eric: The Big Cletus is an awesome build and looks like the Goblin, something about the Goblin that just wants me to build one bigger.

Tom: That will be an awesome build on the one that you have, those gelcoated nose cones are something else aren't they. (I've got stories on the ones that I've had and worked with)

Gary: attention granted...can't wait to see this build!

Tom, Monokote (or Ultracote) works well for upscale Goblins. 5.5" Loc Big Cletus extended, it's a close, but not exact upscale. Painted nosecone, Stickershock vinyl, everything else Ultracote.

002.jpg

-Eric-

I have several Monokoted HP rockets from the mid 1990s. They still look great!

I am looking for information on the NCR Hobgoblin rocket. Dimensions, fin patterns, etc..... It looks like it is based on an 8 inch air frame, with a cluster configuration.
There is a photo of it on the cover of: High Power Rocketry March/April 1998.
If this is the pic you saw, that's me in late 1992. The issue was March/April 1993.View attachment 307776
It came with a single 54 mm mount, I added 2 more 54 mm mounts inline.

If this is the pic you saw, that's me in late 1992. The issue was March/April 1993.View attachment 307776
It came with a single 54 mm mount, I added 2 more 54 mm mounts inline.

Glad to meet you, and the inspiration to clone a Hobgoblin.
Yes sir, that's the issue I was looking at and yes it is 1993, (eyes not as good as they used to be LOL)
I was thinking of doing a cluster instead of a single motor mount.
I like the idea of an inline 54 or possibly a 7 motor cluster.

Back