Nautilus III (3D Rocketry) Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished :)

The nose cone decided to play nice and finished painting it a little while ago -
NautilusIII-48-S.jpg

And the full stack -
NautilusIII-49-S.jpg

All painted with a clear coat over the top to protect the paint. Ready to fly!!

Krusty

Thanks everyone :) I had a lot of fun with this build! It's a good solid rocket and I can't wait to launch it now!!

Unfortunately, we're in the middle of Summer here and no launching until things cool down!! Argh!!

Krusty

Thanks everyone :) I had a lot of fun with this build! It's a good solid rocket and I can't wait to launch it now!!

Unfortunately, we're in the middle of Summer here and no launching until things cool down!! Argh!!

Krusty

If you're worried about fires, launch from a parking lot. :tongue:

If you're worried about fires, launch from a parking lot. :tongue:

I wish!

Summer in Australia is fire season. Everything is so dry, not very rocket friendly :(

This is what I was doing on Jan 4th -
DandyBypass1-S.jpg DandyBypass2-S.jpg
When I'm not building rockets and working my day job, I'm a volunteer fire fighter.

I figure that I have to be a little responsible & being caught starting fires isn't a good look :wink:

The temp got to 42.1C (107.7F) here today (My temp probe is hanging outside in the shade). Crazy hot! Too hot to go outside anyhow!!

Krusty

Last edited:
I wish!

Summer in Australia is fire season. Everything is so dry, not very rocket friendly :(

This is what I was doing on Jan 4th -
View attachment 113101 View attachment 113102
When I'm not building rockets and working my day job, I'm a volunteer fire fighter.

I figure that I have to be a little responsible & being caught starting fires isn't a good look :wink:

The temp got to 42.1C (107.7F) here today (My temp probe is hanging outside in the shade). Crazy hot! Too hot to go outside anyhow!!

Krusty

I commend you sir, on being a firefighter, especially a volunteer. I work for an EMS supply company, and a lot of our customers are fire departments. You guys are tough and courageous, and I have nothing but respect for you!

I know what you mean about summer, it gets that hot here sometimes. Our flying season is generally October through April. One of the clubs I fly with has launches year round at an Air Force base. I haven't been to one yet, but I hear the tarmac can be hard on the rockets. But how cool is it to launch at NASA-Ames?

I commend you sir, on being a firefighter, especially a volunteer. I work for an EMS supply company, and a lot of our customers are fire departments. You guys are tough and courageous, and I have nothing but respect for you!

Thank you :) I'm heading into my 8th year and wouldn't give it up for anything. The brigade is a family, a great bunch of people :)

I know what you mean about summer, it gets that hot here sometimes. Our flying season is generally October through April. One of the clubs I fly with has launches year round at an Air Force base. I haven't been to one yet, but I hear the tarmac can be hard on the rockets. But how cool is it to launch at NASA-Ames?

We're looking at 6 launch weekends between April to October this year.

I couldn't imagine anything cooler than launcing from a NASA facility!! That would be amazing :)

Closer to home, I would love to launch something at the Woomera Test Range !!
Last year I drove from Melbourne to Perth for a launch (4900 mile round-trip!). We took a detour up to the missile park at the test range & got a bunch of photos. That was a lot of fun! We will be doing the road trip again in 2014 and will see if I can pre-arrange to launch something - even if it's an Estes kit, that would be cool :)

Krusty

...I hear the tarmac can be hard on the rockets.

It is. The tarmac has chewed up fins on a couple of rockets when a gust of wind caught the chute and started dragging them. Also, my Future Launch Vehicle was obliterated when it arced over and impacted the ground under thrust. (Granted - that probably would have happened on any surface.)

But how cool is it to launch at NASA-Ames?

Very. :D I still want to build a zooch shuttle to launch there. (And get photos of it in front of some appropriate signage.)

Thank you :) I'm heading into my 8th year and wouldn't give it up for anything. The brigade is a family, a great bunch of people :)

We're looking at 6 launch weekends between April to October this year.

I couldn't imagine anything cooler than launcing from a NASA facility!! That would be amazing :)

Closer to home, I would love to launch something at the Woomera Test Range !!
Last year I drove from Melbourne to Perth for a launch (4900 mile round-trip!). We took a detour up to the missile park at the test range & got a bunch of photos. That was a lot of fun! We will be doing the road trip again in 2014 and will see if I can pre-arrange to launch something - even if it's an Estes kit, that would be cool :)

Krusty

Yes, firefighters really stick together. I envy you.

A 4900 mile round trip? Wow, how long did that take you? Sounds like a great time! I hope you get to do it again. The only unusual place I've launched so far is on Treasure Island in San Francisco. It was cool, though. It's a man made island that was built in the 30's for a worlds fair. Then it was a naval base for many years until it closed in the 90's. Now there are some apartments there, a few businesses, a fire department training facility, and the Mythbusters film there sometimes. Cool place.

It is. The tarmac has chewed up fins on a couple of rockets when a gust of wind caught the chute and started dragging them. Also, my Future Launch Vehicle was obliterated when it arced over and impacted the ground under thrust. (Granted - that probably would have happened on any surface.)

Very. :D I still want to build a zooch shuttle to launch there. (And get photos of it in front of some appropriate signage.)

I have got to make it to an Ames launch one of these times.

Wow....wow....wow...that paint job looks amazing! Wish I had your painting skills. I hear you about not being able to launch. One of the launches I was planning to attend back in September was cancelled due to dry weather as well.

Good luck flying that master piece,

Rg101

That is amazing! I have zero ability to finish a rocket like that, I'm happy if I can just pull off solid colors without runs or other major defects, so it's funny that your "distressed" finish is actually so perfect. Well done sir :)

That is by far some of the best painting I've ever seen! That is a beautiful piece of art :D
Almost done!!

Over the last couple of evenings I've been painting :)

View attachment 112976 View attachment 112977 View attachment 112978 View attachment 112979

But where's the nose cone?? Ah! Now, that's where the problem is. I've painted and repainted the nose cone 3 times now.. The masking tape keeps pulling up the silver! ARGHGGGGGHGGGTRRRRRRR!!!!

Anyhow, I've painted it again and will try something different. So should have the final rocket all assembled shorty!!

Krusty

Just read this thread. Your build was going along great and I was very impressed but when I saw your finishing job it just floored me.

One of the best looking rockets on the forums IMHO

Last edited:
Wow! That 'weathered' paint job looks awesome! That is some skills there!

That just looks fantastic. I have been looking at this kit for a while now, sexy stuff.

This weekend just gone was our first launch of the new year and my first opportunity to launch my Nautilus III

Once the Nautilus III had received the appropriate oooh's and aaaah's by the other flyers, I loaded up a G64 and slid it onto the rail.

After a short countdown from 5 the launch button was pressed and, despite the use of a copperhead, the propellant ignited and the Nautilus III tore a hole in the sky.

Almost out of sight, the eject charge pushed the nose cone off, followed by the parachute.

Touchdown was a scant 100m from the launch pad, not a scratch on it :)

Krusty

Too cool - loved the build thread. Your painting skills are impressive - that rocket actually looks rusty!

I'm mostly a high power junkie these days, but the G64 will always be one of my favorite motors. :eek: You have made me want to build a replacement G-Force so I can fly them again.

Too cool - loved the build thread. Your painting skills are impressive - that rocket actually looks rusty!

I'm mostly a high power junkie these days, but the G64 will always be one of my favorite motors. :eek: You have made me want to build a replacement G-Force so I can fly them again.

The G53 used to be my favorite mid power motor, but I'm leaning more towards the G64 these days. I like the extra oomph.

IMGP0614.JPG

IMGP0615.JPG

Almost done!!

Over the last couple of evenings I've been painting :)

View attachment 112976 View attachment 112977 View attachment 112978 View attachment 112979

But where's the nose cone?? Ah! Now, that's where the problem is. I've painted and repainted the nose cone 3 times now.. The masking tape keeps pulling up the silver! ARGHGGGGGHGGGTRRRRRRR!!!!

Anyhow, I've painted it again and will try something different. So should have the final rocket all assembled shorty!!

Krusty

Nicely done weathering...
I've often wondered why plastic model weathering never crossed over to rocketry.
Steampunk!

Back