National Weather Service's Annual Weather Conference

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings folks :)

FlisKits has been invited to attend and participate in the National Weather Service's Annual Weather Conference at the Clay Center Observatory in Boston on the 6th of November. This is hosted by the Clay Center along with the Dexter and Southfield Schools (this is the organization that tracked Space Ship One on its flight).

We will have a vendor booth and will be hosting an improptu build session from 10:00 - 3:00. We also hope to have a launch field set up for folks to fly and (hopefully) get their built models ready to fly as well.

I am currently looking for any volunteers who would be interested in lending a helping hand with the build session and the launch. It should be very casual and laid-back. There isn't a formal *class* environment. Just folks drifting in, getting a kit (the Triskelion) and building it individually. Helpers would help answer questions, explain techniques and generally help with the construction on an as-needed basis.

The launch field will be 1-2 launch pads with a simple launch set up. I don't expect it to be very busy, but you never know :)

Anyone volunteering will be entitled to a free lunch at the Clay Center. CMASS is most encouraged to participate as the exposure for the club would be fantastic.

Come spend a day with other science minded folks (eg: geeks) and play with rockets :)

jim

Sounds like fun - cross your fingers on the weather!! :rolleyes:

I've heard stories about New England in November... :eek: :eek:

okay I'll do it, how big is the launch field can I send up my 2 stage fatboy:D (just kidding). I only hope for good weather and I plan to bring out the fleet not so much to fly but to "show and tell" :D

Originally posted by jflis
Greetings folks :)

FlisKits has been invited to attend and participate in the National Weather Service's Annual Weather Conference at the Clay Center Observatory in Boston on the 6th of November.

The launch field will be 1-2 launch pads with a simple launch set up. I don't expect it to be very busy, but you never know :)

jim

Hmmm so you're figuring maybe an 70% chance of it being partly crowdy? ;-)

OUCH! Bad joke'o'da'day here! LOL

Frankly I have no idea what to expect. Biggest problem is, neither do the organizers... This is their first time hosting this event.

They have finally posted their information page at: https://www.claycenter.org/weatherfest/

I currently have 3 volunteers (thank you). This will be great fun :)

jim

I currently have 3 volunteers (thank you). This will be great fun

Quote J Flis

so that means I'm off the hook and I can go to the cmass launch:D

:) Well, of *course* you can go to the CMASS launch! No one's on the hook here :) My opinion, the more the merrier :)

jim

Well, things are working out well for this Saturday. I just wish I had more time to prepare!

We have a full inventory so we can bring some of every kit. I am cleaning up the launch equipment tonigh and doing some touch up on models tomorrow.

Also, the Clay Center as already extended an invitation to FlisKits to participate in Astronomy Day in April. (stay tuned) :)

jim

Also, the Clay Center as already extended an invitation to FlisKits to participate in Astronomy Day in April. (stay tuned) :)

jim

I can fix that :) :rolleyes: :D

Well, *what* a day! :)

Up at 5:00, finish packing (couldn't pack the motors into the truck last night as it has been dropping to near freezing at night here.) then off to the Clay Center at 6:30.

I want to offer special thanks to Bill and Billy Ralston and Dave Cuscuna for joining me there today and helping with the build session. You guys were great! I also had my brother in law (Mike) there and Brian came by and spent most of the day.

Getting there early allowed us to get all set up then relax a bit before the crowds started coming in. It also gave all of the presenters a chance to look over the vendors :)

I'll tell you, it's also nice having *connections* :) This allowed us a private (4 person) tour of the observatory with the lead astronomer (who was also the lead with the SpaceShipOne tracking/filming) It was just a *joy* to see all that wonderful equipment and get demonstrations of it in operation. very kewl :)

There was something there for everyone. We had slow periods and busy periods, but more than anything, it was exciting to make all the contacts with the educational community that I was able to. This was more of a *networking* event than a retail event and it paid off.

Here are a couple of pictures of our set up. No launch pictures as it was too windy to fly. They could barely get the kites to fly without shreding even!

Another view of our booth, from the side. I have *got* to invest in some classy table skirts with our logo... :)

CMASS, the NAR and The IGNITE Foundation were all very well represented. Bill, the remaining literature that I have I will bring to the GIS Day 2004 at UNH in 2 weeks (thanx!)

Another view of our booth, from the side. I have *got* to invest in some classy table skirts with our logo... :)

CMASS, the NAR and The IGNITE Foundation were all very well represented. Bill, the remaining literature that I have I will bring to the GIS Day 2004 at UNH in 2 weeks (thanx!)

Let me know if you need more.

How windy was it in Brookline? We had sustained winds in the teens in Amesbury and still got a couple hundred flights in. I got one flight in. It went on the first try and was successful so you didn't miss anything.

:) Billy and I haad a great time, It was a lot of fun to watch the faces as the rockets came together and started to look like what was on display. the other things there were interesting and we did get to do a couple of activities and view the telescope. the only disapointment of the day was the wind would not allow us to fly anything. but that aside, It was awonderful time that I am glad I got to particapate in. thank you Jim :D

Originally posted by billspad
Let me know if you need more.

How windy was it in Brookline? We had sustained winds in the teens in Amesbury and still got a couple hundred flights in. I got one flight in. It went on the first try and was successful so you didn't miss anything.

Well the Clay Center is on the highest point in Brookline (so i'm told). We had stiff winds with gusts to, probably 25 MPH. I also noticed that they were swirling around the area, constantly changing direction. Even the kite fliers gave up. One kite was held firmly with a stiff wind keeping it tight when they let out some string. Once it got above the tree line I thought it was going to get ripped apart...

For the most part, *i* could have/would have flown some of my models, but I didn't want begginers with freshly built rockets doing it. My fear was hitting a car in the close parking lot, or worse still, landing something *in* the observatory (no thank you :) )

jim

Back