National Sport Launch 2012

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sticky Lips is far better than Dinosaur. Dinosaur is highly overrated.

You can do that?

Wow. Now I need to re pack.

In the trailer:

4" Jayhawk
5.5" Skeeter
3" Raven
Woket
BBX
4FNC
Initiator
Littledog
Elipse
Gizmo

Happy now?

Hitting the road around 8:30 tomorrow morning.

NSL Folks:

One thing about a weather forecast is don't try to predict them too far ahead. Models are only so good.

Current forecast is not as good as it was a few days ago.Now it looks like folks better try to fly on Saturday.
Sunday looks bad !! Fog and and 100 % cloud cover and chance of rain and thunderstorms for most all of the day,
Monday some minor chance of Thunder Storms but mostly Sunny!

https://classic.wunderground.com/cg...ourly=1&query=14454&yday=146&weekday=Saturday

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapCli...UF&textField1=42.7983&textField2=-77.8106&e=0

Not trying to give bad news, I just work with a lot of Meteorologists and wanted to give folks a heads up !!

Cheers
John ..

Accuweather forecast is fine for Sunday. Weather forecasts are notoriously inaccurate in the Geneseo valley, take it from someone involving in planning them there for the last 7 years.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/geneseo-ny/14454/daily-weather-forecast/334631?day=3

Keep searching weather sites and we can find almost any forecast for Sunday from clear skies to a gale.

Last edited:
Well we just got settled in. We are at the red roof inn. In a bit we're heading up to dans crafts and things in Rochester to deliver an order. We're going to wait till morning to set up our booth. Also, since Saturday has the better weather, we're going to cut the cake on Sat :)

Speaking of cake... See attached :D

Jim

image-2031681970.jpg

Well, day 1 of NSL was a HOOT! :)

The weather was incredible and there were a LOT of flights throughout the day.

Friendly folk hanging around the booth, rocket stories, good food and great cake.

Was a good day :)

Resting now in preparation for tomorrow. Hoping the rain holds off...

Here's a picture of Trip's L3 certification flight under thrust.
Trip's L3 In Flight (26 May 12).jpg

A M1600R lifted the 60 pound airframe to just under 6,000ft.
The recovery was just as planned.

John

Saturday: my only flight of NSL was a 7.5" FatBoy K-motor drag race between me and Joel Rogers. He cheated. ;)
Same rocket i flew and WON with 4 years ago at NYPOWER (see banner at https://www.marsclub.org ).
K555 skidmark in mine this time, and a K7xx CTI Black Bear in Joels.

FB_DragraceNLS2012a.jpg

Just got home from NSL! It was well worth the 5 minute drive to the field :)

I didn't renew, but picked up some stuff and things to get re-certified if NAR can't find my information. L1 and L2 should be a piece of cake, anyways. Been there, done that.

Lots of fun flights went off. Some big tube fin rocket went off on a L if I'm not mistaken. Pretty nice flight, the recovery sufficed, although the harness wrapped around the rocket if I'm not mistaken. Chutes were open and the bird came down at a controlled descent.

I'll likely post photos on here later.

Got to meet Barry Lynch of LOC Precision fame. I've been talking with this dude as well as a number of others on ROL chat since '98 or earlier... Nice to put a face to a name! Also met Robert DeHate.

Can't wait to get my bird built and get my certs again.... I think I might do my certs at LDRS. Now, to find someone who can cert me....

-Mike

Another great day at NSL. And we dodged a weather bullet too... Yesterday they were talking a 60% chance of rain and thunder storms. This morning that was knocked down to 20% and, in actuality, there was no rain at all and a dead calm most of the day.

Simply wonderful!

I had perfect flights on my Decaffeinator, K'TNG'A, Tesla, Tiddlywinks, Aggie ( micromaxx marble loft), Borealis and Nell.

Good day!

All the vendors there were AWESOME, especially the guys at LOC Precision. When my PML Endeavour shredded (another story in and of itself) I had to revert to my backup rocket, my LOC Nuke Pro Maxx.

So I talked to LOC guys, showed it to them and we talked about how it was built and what sort of J engine to put into it. He was confident the rocket would hold together. It ended up flying on a J270, pushed Mach 1 (don't know if I punched it or not) and ended up being one of the highest altitude flights of NSL. My Stratologger read 8,479 feet.

With the help of Wing Archer, we recovered it intact at Geneseo University. Great rocket. Unbelievable flight. and I earned my Level 2. The LOC guys are genuinely good people. Thanks for the advice and the confidence in your product.

There's also a special L2 certification program available to former NAR Presidents

The proper term is "past presidents". :)

Let's see if I get my Phantom 4000 HD ready enough to fly dual deploy at NARAM, then we'll see about L2.

Last edited:
If anybody there happened to find or knows who found my estes venom, there's a reward for it. I lost it in the final drag race saturday, and considering I only used a B64 and the chute barely opens, I know it didnt go far. Looked like it landed right in the corner of the parking lot to the right of the pad. My two hours of searching failed to find it. I had that for near 15 years and it was the last of my original fleet. May not find another because everybody bought them up for those argosy nosecones.

venom.jpg

Video footage of Trip Barber's L3 Flight. Nice straight up on a picture-perfect day.
[YOUTUBE]42363yERu64[/YOUTUBE]

If anybody there happened to find or knows who found my estes venom, there's a reward for it. I lost it in the final drag race saturday, and considering I only used a B64 and the chute barely opens, I know it didnt go far. Looked like it landed right in the corner of the parking lot to the right of the pad. My two hours of searching failed to find it. I had that for near 15 years and it was the last of my original fleet. May not find another because everybody bought them up for those argosy nosecones.

venom.jpg

It looks like your's may be found.

https://www.marsclub.org/forum/index.php?topic=282.0#new

venom.jpg

It has indeed been found intact. Contact me at [email protected]

I had a fantastic time at NSL! I want to especially thank Chris, the guy with the pickup, who must have taken pity on the old man as I was stumbling across the field toward my Tomahawk, and packed it all up for me.

It's always a thrill for me to fly at Geneseo. I have a lot of fond memories from there, going back to AMA free flight scale meets in the 1980s. And of course, my home town is about an hour to the west. If you stay on Route 63 it turns into Main Street in Lyndonville, about four miles before it dead-ends into Lake Ontario.

John D., thanks again. I'm sorry I didn't make it back on Sunday to support any of your hybrid flying, I'll make it up to you another time. Your MARSA4 gadget is inspiring me to get cracking on some more stuff. I'm building a new payload section for my stretched-4-fin Magnum and I'll have to fly it on some interesting 54mm Contrail. Maybe the K550 with the three port injector.

Here's the Youtube video of my Tomahawk flying on the Contrail L1222, with the fob cam taped to the upper tube and hanging on for dear life: https://youtu.be/ri9gLJg5TVs

A great weekend with wonderful folks in a beautiful spot. What's not to love?

Back