National Rocketry Day/Week/Month

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetra2

Reaction score
Hi all,

I came across this wonderful idea while surfing RMR. The originator of this idea is a fellow by the name of Jonathan Sivier. I've invited him to join so that this jewel doesn't get lost in the muck!

I would like to propose that we institute a period of time this summer as
National Rocketry Day (or Week or Month). We will all have launches and other
events scheduled this summer, but during this time we would all make an extra
effort at publicizing our activities. Perhaps the NAR and/or TRA could put
together a press release template that we could all send to our local newspapers
and TV stations with locally specific modifications. This would help raise
public awareness of our groups and our activities. Since July will be the 35th
anniversary of the first landing on the moon, perhaps we could declare July to
be National Rocketry Month. I was thinking it would be great if as many groups
as possible held launches on the same day all over the country, but this might
be difficult given the vagaries of the weather and our different schedules.
However a month long period might give us an opportunity to recruit new
rocketeers and, possibly more importantly, bring model rocketry to the attention
of the majority of the populace that is unaware of our existence (or at most is
only marginally aware of us).

Jonathan

As you can see, this is a wonderful idea. I posted this reply:

Jonathan,

I personally think this is a GREAT idea. I am very interested in
seeing how this pans out. I also have appeared on the local news back
in March of last year describing our plight and how safe the hobby is
to them. I think that I would be able to propose this to the local
news and get some interest in this. I'll also be able to make it a big
event for HERC, the new club in the Central Florida. You can see our
website (still under construction) at www.hercrocketry.org .

I would like to post this idea to The Rocketry Forum
(www.rocketryforum.com)and have the members of that forum post ideas
about this. I invite you to join TRF and post your input there so this
wonderful idea doesn't get lost in the landfill that is RMR...

Jason

PLEASE reply to this thread! Keep it active and alive! Thankfully the way this forum is moderated will keep this thread from turning into a anti-NAR anti-TRA thread like those so prevalent on RMR these days. :eek:

Thanks,
Jason

great idea.....and everyone needs to launch a roccket. I think it should be over a week though.....and one day you need to launch a rocket that way there is bound to be a nice day over the course of the week to givve everyone the chance to get a rocket off

We should have each club in America send a news release to their reps in Washington, Senate, House, etc...
Then each club in America could send a news release to the BATFE... in Washington as well as all the local offices...LOL

You reckin this will get me on some kinda list?

how about july 17 through the 25? includes 2 weekends surounding the big aniversery.

although if we did the month of july it would include LDRS and the start of NARAM.

but yeah, lets get our passion out in front of people!:cool:

I think that this is an awesome idea! National Rocketry month would be great! We could start the festivities at LDRS, promote it at every local club's launch during the month of July, and then wrap it up at NARAM!:cool:
Maybe July would be a good month for an increased community outreach effort? Do you think NASA would endorse a National Rocketry month? Should we forward this idea to other newsgroups? Keep this thread going!:D

I really like having a one ot two week period in July as National Rocketry Week. Imagine if we all got press kits and went to TV stations all over the country...and out of the country! Imagine the coverage...then maybe a replay on the discovery channel.

Jason...We need someone to make a documentary of sport rocketry. The discovery channel was cool, but I don't think it touched on the finer points of the hobby. Maybe for next year. Then submit it to Public TV. Heck, that's where some of out tax money goes anyhoo.

:D

Agreed. July is a great month... and especially for those of us of a certain vintage *cough* the chance to remind the public of the glory that was NASA and Apollo. Just make sure someone's got a SAturn V or IB to launch!

I love it! Maybe, just maybe we can spark more interest here in Houston, the HOME OF THE SPACE PROGRAM! Seems like there would be more interest around here. Maybe the lack of open fields has something to do with it though. And maybe I'm wrong and just don't know where to look. When I launch at parks people just look at me like I'm crazy. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I launch in the middle of the playground....(Just Kidding!)

July would be great for Rocketry month!!!!!! Now we need to organize this. So how do we go about doing this. Lets start a cometee

Someone want to volunteer to do a write up for Sport Rocketry's next issue and get the word out that way too?

that would be awesome... maybe i would even meet a few people around here...

Originally posted by jflis
Someone want to volunteer to do a write up for Sport Rocketry's next issue and get the word out that way too?

what would we need to do?

maybe we could get Sen. Michael Enzi to proclaim July as national rocketry month?

Originally posted by JFLIS:

Good idea Jim! How do we want to put this National Rocketry Month into motion? Now I don't read RMR; so is the creator of this idea, Jonathon Sivier, a TRF member also? Since this was his idea, or at least playing a part in getting our interest in this endeavor, we should make sure he's somehow involved or mentioned, right?

Adam Selene's idea of maybe asking our senators , like Mike Enzi, to proclaim July National Rocketry Month might actually work! Especially if we play up the 35th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing.

What else do we want to do?

Adam Selene's idea of maybe asking our senators , like Mike Enzi, to proclaim July National Rocketry Month might actually work! Especially if we play up the 35th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing.

This is a WONDERFUL idea!!!

Say, is there any way to get NASA involved?

They sure could use some favorable press right about now.

Maybe after George W's State of the Union address he would be willing to put his money (OK our money) where his mouth is. At least some press coverage!

I'd be willing to see George W push the "fire" button on a Deuce!

He wants to get "back" to the moon well, we are gonna need some new rocket scientist...aren't we?

Come on, George! Waddaya say?

It IS an election year!...photo op anyone???

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
This is a WONDERFUL idea!!!

Say, is there any way to get NASA involved?

I'd be willing to see George W push the "fire" button on a Deuce!

He wants to get "back" to the moon well, we are gonna need some new rocket scientist...aren't we?

Come on, George! Waddaya say?

It IS an election year!...photo op anyone???

sandman

saandman, THAT is a GREAT IDEA! I'd love to see Dubya push the launch button on a deuce or maybe an Apogee Saturn V? too bad that 1/10 scale Saturn V won't be done by then! although personaly i don't think i'd want to be at a launch with the kind of security that would involve.

hhhmmmm, seems like we're going to have to be certain to have a TdD launch in July, maybe several... :D :D

I think we should send a note to the original thread author on rmr and point him to this thread. It *is* his idea and should be his show, unless he wants to hand the reins off to someone else. Perhaps a TRF collaborative effort?

yeah, for sure. can some who does rmr contact him?
maybe jason since you started this here?

Originally posted by sandman

Not to hijack the thread, but my guess is that the answer to this is no...I know too many old ones who are no longer engaged in that activity (including myself).

Regarding Jonathan Sivier...I wonder if he's related to an old aero engineering prof of mine at Illinois (Ken Sivier). If so, and you have no other contact info, you can probably track him down through the Illinois aero department at https://www.ae.uiuc.edu. Look up Ken Sivier under the faculty and ask him if Jonathan is any relation. Prof. Sivier is a nice guy...easy going (even slept through part of my prelim exam!).

All,

Jonathan's e-mail is jsivier AT uiuc DOT edu

Please contact him and show him there is true interest in this event.

Jason

I just sent this to jonathan:

Hi jonathan! a bunch of us over at The Rocketry Forum have been discussing your idea of a national rocketry month and want to make it happen. but of course since it was your idea we don't want to just do it without you being involved. please come join our discussion at:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7113

hope to hear from you soon.

Chuck

so we need to craft a letter to sport rocketry and write up a templete for a press release that clubs can send to thier local papers. what else?

should we wait til we hear from jonathan or keep spewing out ideas on our own?

Is there anyone posting/lurking here from NAR and/or Tripoli? Seems to me these are logical groups to be involved.

Originally posted by Adam Selene
should we wait til we hear from jonathan or keep spewing out ideas on our own?

My vote is to keeping coming up with ideas..... I think the more ideas we have, the better the plan will be.......

Do we try to do a "mass" launch? (everyone worldwide launch a rocket on a given day)

Do we stick with "club" launches?

Do we do both?

What day in July is more important, July 16th (lift off of Apollo 11) or July 20th? (lunar landing)

Well I would say the launce of Apollo 11 is more relevant, but the landing more important.

This sounds like a great idea! If someone sends me a copy of the letter to sport rocketry, I can try and put it in the UKRA newsletter 10, 9, 8...

Maybe we could get this John guy to join TRF. Now who gets the refferal? :p

Phil

Is there anyone posting/lurking here from NAR and/or Tripoli? Seems to me these are logical groups to be involved.

I know Trip and Bunny check out TRF once in a while.
I'll send them an e-mail to get their attention.

What day in July is more important, July 16th (lift off of Apollo 11) or July 20th? (lunar landing)

I'm going to do both days!

I have lots of engines!

I'd suggestion (well, this is what I'll fly) is scale. I'll fly my Saturn V, Saturn 1B, Little Joe II.

sandman

here is the reply i got from jonathan: (posted with his permission)

I'll try to take a look. I'm glad some other people think this might be a good idea. While July would be a good month for various reasons, it has also been suggested that it might be a good idea to hold this in conjunction with International Space Week, which I think is the first full week in October. However anytime would be good as long as we had a consensus and thus had rocketry events occuring all over the country with some sort of connection and common publicity.

Jonathan

"Remember to always keep the pointy end up."
-----
Jonathan Sivier Secretary, Central Illinois Aerospace
[email protected] NAR #56437
Flight Simulation Lab Tripoli #1906
Beckman Institute Home Address:

he also said that he wouldn't be able to check out this thread until next week.

Back