Nasa

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1dermon

Reaction score
does anyone know if NASA uses the same classification system for their motors? like, S,T,U,V like the alphabetical way, the same way that us amateur rocketeers do?

Yes, it is. IIRC the Saturn V uses AC engines(? since it uses liquid propellant and thus probably requires pumps, would it be an engine or motor?)

no they dont. That is a hobby classification

the Saturn five engines are called "F-1 Engines" the second and third stage engines are "J-2"

IIRC, Somebody recently posted that 'Rockets of the World' contains
a conversion of NASA engines to hobby motor classifications...

Saturn V per ROTW

Stage 1 - 5 x AC 6,700,000
Stage 2 - 5 x AB 890,000
Stage 3 - AC 890,000

thats what i was trying to figure out. what the classes of the saturn V were. i figured that it would be close to a full V motor, but i didnt compensate for the burn time.

Originally posted by rstaff3
Saturn V per ROTW

Stage 1 - 5 x AC 6,700,000
Stage 2 - 5 x AB 890,000
Stage 3 - AC 890,000

If I remember correctly (which is doubtful, no doubt... :p ), the 2nd stage had 5 J-2 motors and the 3rd stage had a single J-2 motor so Stage 3 should be "AB" (or 1/5 of the stage 2 which is listed as "5XAB")

ROTW says that the third stage was a single J1 vs the J2s in the second stage. I can provide the impuse numbers after the movie :) If ya'll want.

Back