NASA, we have a problem....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjp

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is something wrong with NASA when their homepage loads a Macromedia Flash presentation, sucking up nearly 600KB (that's an eternity at dial-up speeds, and not even all that zippy at DSL speeds), just to load a simple menu with 3 links on it?

Attached is a snapshot of the new www.nasa.gov homepage. Yep, believe it or not this simple gateway page sucks up nearly 600KB. Maybe I'm just being a crotchety old fart, but to me, forcing a user to wait through a 600KB download of a Flash presentation, just to see a menu which amounts to "click here to access our website" is just the epitome of poor website design.

wow....
on my 26.6kbps average speed dial up connection it took 3min 45sec. that may not seem like long, but to sit there and stare at your screen for that long.... just to get to a menu! lol, it aint worth it. And to think these guys are designing the softwear used on satelites, space shuttles, and all their ground suport equipment.. lol ;)

well...

...at least we know that the original Estes web site designer landed on his feet after Estes got rid of him...

(my bad!) :D

Originally posted by jflis
...at least we know that the original Estes web site designer landed on his feet after Estes got rid of him...(my bad!) :D
I hate to admit it, but I had that exact same thought!
(p.s. I just noticed I forgot to attach the JPG image to that 1st message, it's attached to this one for what it's worth).

I guess NASA doesn't need to pay for bandwidth. Oh wait, we're the taxpayers, WE get to pay for it!:D

It only took a few sec on my end. Obviously it targets ppl with wideband.

BTW, looks like were getting and new NASA Admin.

Originally posted by jflis
well...

...at least we know that the original Estes web site designer landed on his feet after Estes got rid of him...

(my bad!) :D

Hee Hee!

Shows how NASA operates; big, over budget, and ineffiecient with a bunch of useless technology.

Back