NASA Tests New Ride for Science Studies from Wallops

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
four inch diameter means we could make a full size model. bodacious fins on that Orion motor!

four inch diameter means we could make a full size model. bodacious fins on that Orion motor!
"One payload has a four-inch diameter and is 71 inches long while the other has a nine-inch diameter and is 83 inches long."

Pretty sure the payload is 4"... not the body of the rocket.

"One payload has a four-inch diameter and is 71 inches long while the other has a nine-inch diameter and is 83 inches long."

Body of the rocket is .35m or 1.14 feet according to Astonautix, a 1/3 scale would be right around 4.0512" close enough to 4" airframe.

Last edited:

It's not worded very well. I assume the 4"/9" dia refers to the small cylinders, while the 71"/83" refers to the overall lengths in front of the motor.

It's not worded very well. I assume the 4"/9" dia refers to the small cylinders, while the 71"/83" refers to the overall lengths in front of the motor.
iirc the Astronautix wiki on the Orion sounding rocket said it used a Hawk missle motor.

It states payload, so by default, it is not referring to the propulsion section.

Just looking at the photo of the payload section on the cart, the base of the nose cone looks to be about 4" ish.

Back