NASA, How the Moon Landing Led to Safer Food for Everyone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modeltrains

Reaction score
How the Moon Landing Led to Safer Food for Everyone
System created for Apollo astronaut food has become the global standard for hazard prevention

Originally published 11/23/2020
As many Americans prepare for a socially distanced Thanksgiving meal, some may be aware that NASA helped develop the tiny, highly efficient video cameras in the devices that will allow virtual family dinners, and a few may know it was the space agency that first modernized conference calling. But NASA has made an even more important contribution to the holiday: no one is likely to worry about the safety of the food on their table.
Today, outbreaks of food poisoning from packaged supermarket food are exceedingly rare, thanks in part to the food industry’s near-universal adoption of an approach that’s little-known outside the business, called the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) system. Even less-known is the fact that HACCP was created for astronaut food in the early days of the Apollo program.

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/moon-landing-food-safety

Just found out one of the guys in our local creative writers group already knew this via the personal experience of being HACCP certified when he worked at KraftHienz.
Cool.
:)

I hope NASA continues to work to build the moon base. It is solid science. Adversity brings opportunities which results in inventions.

I always said that NASA does even more than just explores space. However, I haven't heard about the company's contributions towards safe life and hazard prevention. I want them to continue making progress in the Artemis program and repeat their overwhelming success.

Back